996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

creaking noise from rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
creaking noise from rear

sorry i cant be more specific, i have a creaking noise coming from the rear when going over bumps, i just had coilovers installed and it didnt make any difference (no thats not why i installed them)
any ideas ?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:49 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Is the noise the same before and after the coilovers were installed? If that's the case, then it is most likely just a rubber part squeaking as it flexes and nothing to worry about. Struts can often creak too but you had those changed out so that leaves a rubber bushing somewhere.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
yes, its the same, its slightly annoying so i'd like to figure out where its coming from

its hard to describe the sound exactly but it sounds large, not like a little 1/2 inch rubber bumper

i figured maybe someone had the same noise in the past rather than have my tech spend hours trying to track it down

Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I'm still betting it's a rubber damper somewhere. There's not much that can make a creaking noise in the suspension beyond that. I doubt the tech would be able to find anything anyway since it's nearly impossible to figure out where a suspension creak is coming from once it's up on a lift unless the problem is something major i.e. blatant.

You can try tightening up the top hats and see if that helps, and make sure all of the bolts in the suspension are tight. Beyond that, suspension creaks and groans are really hard to find as I said.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buzzm
sorry i cant be more specific, i have a creaking noise coming from the rear when going over bumps, i just had coilovers installed and it didnt make any difference (no thats not why i installed them)
any ideas ?
Had the same issue with my car backing out of the driveway to the street(at an angle) and going over some bumps. Added a rear strut bar and the problem went away in my case.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
which bar did you go with ?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
got2 is infamous around these parts
Have the suspension lubed. Much cheaper than all other solutions as a first shot.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buzzm
which bar did you go with ?
Got mine from Automotion, there are less expensive ones out there.

I read on some forum a couple of years ago, when the rear of the car twists slightly it can make the noise come from the rear window. Heard of using glycerine between the glass and weatherstrip on the outside of the car to quite it down.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard guys complain about the lower control arm bushings as being a common squeaking problem. But I agree with lubing the joints. Maybe start with one and try for a couple of days if it continues move to the next until the sound disappears and replace if necessary. But I understand what you mean how annoying it can be. My problem is the sunroof vibrates against something under the roof liner only when its open. It ruins a nice day drive sometimes, listening to it banging around with every bump.