996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pentosin leaking out of steering reservoir

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
racegate is infamous around these parts
Bumping this..did you ever figure this one out with regards to fluid leaking out of the valve?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by racegate
Bumping this..did you ever figure this one out with regards to fluid leaking out of the valve?
My steering reservoir leaked pentosin only at the race track, and only at one race track that was really tight, it never leaked on the street or fast open tracks like Mosport.

My Indy drained some pentosin out of the reservoir and when I went back to the track that was causing the problems it was alot better and only leaked a little instead of gushing all over the place. I told the Indy shop it still leaked a little and they drained more pentison out of the reservoir, they said the fluid level is still in spec with Porsche recommendation but it is right close to the minimum line if you measure it, but I haven't been back to that track to see if the problem has been completely resolved.

If I get a chance to run the tight track again and it doesn't leak it would seem the problems I was having was caused by overfilling the steering reservoir with pentison, but I really won't know until I get back to that track and test it.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM
racegate is infamous around these parts
Do you hear any whine/noise when turning the steering wheel or otherwise?

I'm assuming the purpose of the valve is to relieve excess pressure/fluid...so that means the only reason it should leak is due to those reasons?

I know some water pumps have "weep" holes, and they start dripping coolant as an indication that the pump needs to be replaced. Could something similar hold true for the 996 power steering pump? I need to get a repair manual to have a look, but don't have one yet.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
I only heard a slight whine when I had to crank the steering wheel all the way over to one side to maneuver around a car when backing out of a parking spot, other than that it's been quite.

The valve is there to relieve pressure, mine has a green tag around it that tells you the amount of pressure the system can handle.

In this thread some people feel it is a faulty clutch slave that causes the overflow of pentosin. If it continues to leak that will be the next piece I change, but the last few times I was at the track were I was having the problems it only leaked a few drops after they drained some pentosin out of the reservoir so now that they drained more out I'm hoping the problem will be resolved.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:11 AM
rayyoung02 is infamous around these parts
Any update?

Bumping this thread. I know it's been more than a decade....any update on this issue?