996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

new wheels/tires don't fit cuz of protruding IC piping :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
new wheels/tires don't fit cuz of protruding IC piping :(

I was so stoked today to get my new OZ wheels and Nitto NT01s installed and start ripping around...

but because of the protruding hose/clamp/hose/clamp mess connecting to my Proto ICs, the slightly taller tires made too much contact with the plastic/hoses/clamps on both sides. (pic below of passenger side)

So I guess we are gonna look at doing a more direct hard pipe for the extra clearance required even though I was waiting to do a fully permanent solution at some point, but maybe that time is now.

I have a modifed crazy clamped Samco boost hose set up currently due to the oversized Proto ICs. I think they are the 3.5" ICs.

You think I should just get some hard pipe custom fitted from the ICs to the turbos where the clearance issue is?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:42 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I had that rubbing problem with stock wheels, tires, and IC's. I put spacers on to gain clearance. I wanted to try the Nitto 315's on the rear myself, just don't know if they will work for me.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
bummer... attached some photos for a visual of spacing. Depending where the rubbing is, as long as it's not rubbing near the IC inlet or the turbo outlet coupling side, could bring the pipe back towards rear of car and do like a U turn. Prob can fab a custom mud guard if that doesn't clear either. Left and right side hose routes are slightly different.

Attached Images      
Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
I had that rubbing problem with stock wheels, tires, and IC's. I put spacers on to gain clearance. I wanted to try the Nitto 315's on the rear myself, just don't know if they will work for me.
Thanks Larry. I don't think spacers are the solution as the contact/clearance issue is pretty much in the middle of the tread on both sides - not on the sidewall or inside of the tire.

Originally Posted by Mad Ness
bummer... attached some photos for a visual of spacing. Depending where the rubbing is, as long as it's not rubbing near the IC inlet or the turbo outlet coupling side, could bring the pipe back towards rear of car and do like a U turn. Prob can fab a custom mud guard if that doesn't clear either. Left and right side hose routes are slightly different.
Thanks for posting those pics. I wonder if your AP hoses are are the same path of routing and shape as my Samco hoses, even though my Samco hoses are kind of modified and quadruple clamped or something. Are those AP ICs as well?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
Thanks Larry. I don't think spacers are the solution as the contact/clearance issue is pretty much in the middle of the tread on both sides - not on the sidewall or inside of the tire.

Thanks for posting those pics. I wonder if your AP hoses are are the same path of routing and shape as my Samco hoses, even though my Samco hoses are kind of modified and quadruple clamped or something. Are those AP ICs as well?
'

I too installed the nitto 555r 305/30/18 and having the exact same issues with my evoms hose connecting to the evoms intercoolers. I'm in the process of making the hard pipe as soon as I can drop off the car to my friend. Good Luck

Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by 911GT700
'

I too installed the nitto 555r 305/30/18 and having the exact same issues with my evoms hose connecting to the evoms intercoolers. I'm in the process of making the hard pipe as soon as I can drop off the car to my friend. Good Luck
interesting, so it can be common i guess. is it both sides with yours? you happen to have any pics you've taken to compare?

i guess the hardpipe is the way to go huh.... dammit.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Here's some more pics I just snapped. Are yours (or anyone else's?) protruding this much?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
holy crap that last pic is super clear; love the resolution and depth of field ... way off topic but are you using a macro lens on an slr or just a point and shoot camera?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by dfwerdoc
holy crap that last pic is super clear; love the resolution and depth of field ... way off topic but are you using a macro lens on an slr or just a point and shoot camera?
LOL I like my camera but I don't think it's anything special, and I'm not sure what SLR is but I don't think mine is one of them
It's a Fujifilm Finepix F30. Great reviews and I bought it from a friend since they don't make this model anymore.

Cheers

Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I put a 5mm spacer on mine and it was fine. I originally tied the fenders back with zip ties, but the 5mm spacer was much better.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Mine rubs the inner side wall of the tire and has put a hole through the fender well by the rigid support bracket.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:05 PM
tone01 is infamous around these parts
intercooler

hey dave you could try ream the intercooler bracket that mount to the body that might move it back some. i think im going to be installing my coilovers this week end. you could stop by and i could take a look if you like.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Powell
I put a 5mm spacer on mine and it was fine. I originally tied the fenders back with zip ties, but the 5mm spacer was much better.
I need much more clearance than a 5mm spacer would give me unfortunately. I think it's a combo of my alpha turbos and Proto ICs and cluster**** of samco hoses and clamps.... gotta go hard piping now I am afraid.

Originally Posted by landjet
Mine rubs the inner side wall of the tire and has put a hole through the fender well by the rigid support bracket.
yeah my installer cut out a hole in driver side flap for the hose/clamp to poke thru a little.

Originally Posted by tone01
hey dave you could try ream the intercooler bracket that mount to the body that might move it back some. i think im going to be installing my coilovers this week end. you could stop by and i could take a look if you like.
thanks Tony.. I will try to swing by your shop Saturday.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear of your troubles Dave. What size tires are you running? I dont have any problems with 315/30s.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by MBailey
Sorry to hear of your troubles Dave. What size tires are you running? I dont have any problems with 315/30s.
Thanks Mike.. yeah it's always something eh?
You have EVOMS ICS and boost hoses just as 911GT700 has so maybe your tires are not as tall in diameter as my Nittos. My 315/30/18 Nittos list as only slightly taller than a 315/25/19 but there was significantly less clearance when installed, so this must be where the variances in actual manufacturer sizes comes into play I must assume. At least something to do with it.

Do you happen to have any pics you can post of your IC hoses and the clearance betw the rear of your tires and the flaps/hoses/ICs? thanks man

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new wheels/tires don't fit cuz of protruding IC piping :(