996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weird handling behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
When I completely upgraded my suspension, my tech reset the steering sensor

Hmmm....learn something new everyday!

Last edited by ZIP22; 02-09-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:46 PM
pwarnery is infamous around these parts
Weird handling behavior

Steering angle sensor. Very interesting. The Durametric has a module which allows one to reset the steering angle sensor. I am going to try this out over the weekend and see if it makes a difference. I'll also check the paper trail I have for when the car was lowered and corner balanced to see if there is any reference to that adjustment being done back in 02. Probably won't be taking the corner at over 1000MPH on the way home...It's raining!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Make sure you put the front wheels exactly straight ahead before you reset it.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 PM
OK on the straight ahead. Does the Durametric check the angle of the wheels? It says turn the wheels 20 degree one way and then 20 degree the other way?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
That I don't know. My tech was using one of the Porsche computer modules to reset it.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'd have the car checked. If it's on stock suspension, you can get some interference from PSM, and if there's an issue with a swaybar endlink or a bad shock, you'll get even worse interference. The system is based on angles and attitudes and if the suspension is reading out of spec, the computer is doing its job. That said, I have it on at 180mph when I'm on track and it doesn't interfere in my lapping on roadcourses. With an aftermarket suspension, corner balance and the right alignment, this car will impress you way beyond anything you've ever owned... Mine does every time I drive it.

Mike
Mike,
Did you have any of the electronic sensors reset. It would seem that if you changed the suspension significantly, all these sensors would misread and the PSM/ABS would go off more often.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
My suspension has been apart a LOT, and I can't say I've ever reset it. I did have the tech at lufteknic do aggresive alignments for me several times in 2008 and he may have, but I certainly didn't. We've never changed the ride height or the corner balance of the car, but it's been over 3 years since it was last done and I'm sure it's due. That said, the only thing that's been done has been street to track alignments and back again.

Today I'm installing a BUNCH of trackday suspension parts, preparation for the track season, and I'll report back in the coming days if anything is different. But I've never had this issue. My PSM comes on in the rain on occasion, or if I'm running 100 Octane file and street tires. But otherwise mine has been very un-obtrusive.

Mike

Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I reset the steering sensor via the Durametric tool. Basically turn the steering wheel to the right 20 degrees left 20 degrees and back to center. Click OK. Took the car for a spin and it acted much much better. I can now go in and out of corner without the PSM activation. The car is starting to behave much like I would expect it based on Porsche's reputation. Thank you all for the feedback.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Glad it worked out. Enjoy your Porsche.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Guys-
This happened to me two days ago and I thought the friggin motor was coming out of the back. Scared the crap out of me....corner on my way home I take every day......felt like abs kicked in on BOTH rear wheels.....no warning...speed seemed to drop 20mph in about 6 car lengths. The scariness came from the fact that although I know what abs feels like, the feedback you feel as a driver comes from the front wheels....when the backs only go off....it is quite a strange feeling!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
OK, stupid question (new to P cars) - How do you know the PSM went off?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
cuase it flashes on your dash lol , and it has a feel to it ,you deffinately know it goes off even if your not looking at the dash.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Alright, dammit, I've got this problem too. Just noticed it today. The PSM goes off strongly and rapidly on sharp corners, regardless of whether or not PSM is turned off or not or whether I'm on throttle. It did it to me the first time at about 90mph and scared the **** out of me, then when I was testing for it again, it did it with PSM turned off, no throttle, and at about 30 miles per hour around a sharp corner. There was definately no tire slip at all here.

I did just put 997tt wheels (19'') on with 235/35/19 front and 315/25/19 rear tires, and had it aligned, but not at a Porsche dealership. I notice no rubbing at all.

Reading over the comments here, this sounds like it must be an issue of resetting the steering sensor apparantly, since its steering alone that is tripping PSM, and has nothing to do with throttle or wheel slip, just a sharp corner (either direction).

Any thoughts before I have to spend a fortune at Porsche tomorrow getting them to diagnose it?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I'll add also that I've also currently got a faulty ignition switch that I'm going to replace myself tomorrow: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2882881 .

It has been causing all sorts of other wierd electrical problems (see my thread I linked), so I'm wondering if this PSM problem is related to the ignition switch or if its the steering sensor?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Your problem could also be related to your tire and wheel combo. The 997TT is engineered to have different tire size ratios front to back than the 996TT and the 996TT's viscous coupling is very sensitive to these differences. It could be setting off your PSM. Did your tires and wheels come directly off a 997TT? You can use 997TT wheels on a 996TT as long as the tires are within spec for the 996TT front differential. I'm not saying this is your problem, or that the electric problems aren't the cause. Just giving your something else to consider. The 996TT front differential is particularly sensitive to tire specs. If the tires are within spec, it couldn't hurt to have them recalibrate the steering sensor. It only takes a few minutes.

Check out this thread if you have the time:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ire-se-up.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Weird handling behavior