996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To tint or not to tint ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:09 PM
LovemyTT is infamous around these parts
To tint or not to tint ????

What is everyones feelings on tinting? I am trying to get an idea?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Tinted back and sides 35%. Legal here.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:26 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I cant comment on oregon, but I wouldnt have a car without it down south..

Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ I would not own a car w/ out it. It's not as dark as I'd like but it came this way. It is dark enough to block the sun but see the rearviews at night. I've been told it's a good classy look. I still might make it darker?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
My car came with tint on it and it was the first thing I took off.. was too dark. Maybe 35%?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LovemyTT
What is everyones feelings on tinting? I am trying to get an idea?

i did a legal tint after much consideration, i was never really a fan of it but after seeing a few pics of other peoples rides i figured i would try it and if i didnt like it would have it removed

really happy with it, i much prefer my car with it

Old 03-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
It sucks if you have painted seat backs... no one will ever see that paint again.

I went through the trouble of getting the seat backs painted only to tint the car a few months later.. Duh...

Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Mine's tinted, is silver, and yeah I prefer the tint. If nothing it will hold the glass together if something happens! Looks good and is a bit cooler inside but don't go too dark or nighttime becomes a nightmare. BTDT...

Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
LO_996tt is infamous around these parts
Don't go dark

Just got a ticket in for too dark---$300, a fix it ticket.

My tint guy was concerned about taking out the rear window because of the defrost wire, so we only did the side windows--$250 ($100 for removal of old)

I took the car into the Police station after the fix so they could waive the fine --before they even put the meter on the rear they failed me because of the rear window. He spotted it across the parking lot.

I did not like the dark tint--so kind of glad I had to switch to 35%.

Any one had issues with taking out tint and damaging the rear defrost?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
LO_996tt is infamous around these parts
I agree on the dangers of dark tint.
Several times I came through my neighborhood at night and could not see joggers/walkers while going around dark corners--Couple of close calls.
So I got in the habit of dropping the windows as I cornered.

Glad I changed to 35%

BTW-- Here is the Oregon Tint Law for passenger cars--suv and trucks are different:

Oregon Tint Law Enacted: 2003
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN OREGON?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Oregon, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN OREGON?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 13% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 13% reflective.

Last edited by LO_996tt; 03-17-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
I think a light tint looks great. I second what others have said about going too dark. My SUV was tinted too dark and I have to roll down the windows everytime I back up at night.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Agree with the lighter shade of tint...I had 50% on my 02 Carrera which gave it a clean/smoked look. 20% is ok to but obv a significant degree darker. 35% might be perfect.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 AM
LovemyTT is infamous around these parts
I could put limo tint on all my cars, I have a prescription for tinted windows. I had gotten pulled over by a motorcyle cop once & he asked if I bought the car with windows that dark (I am sure everyone says, I bought the car like this) & I said no I had them tinted this dark & he just grinned & said I will be right back I have to get my meter & I told him I would get my prescription in the glove box, hehe & he said you have a prescription & I said yes do you want me to get it? he said no an dissapointedly walked back to his bike, he was actually upset. But I am older now & it is a pain in the *** to see with darker windows so I am thinking about 35% all the way around.

I think the silver cars look great with some tint.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
On my imola m3 I have all the windows 35%, had the windshield as well but took that off. In my turbo coupe I wouldn't put tints on it, its small enough as it is that I like all the available visibility and I do not want that blacked out look with the yellow coupe. Next thing you do to match it all is black wheels, ect..

Old 03-19-2010, 01:07 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a big fan of 50%, dark tint IMO just doesn't look good in most cases. 50% is just right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To tint or not to tint ????