996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What has more Power than Odyssey 925 but weighs 80% less?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
What has more Power than Odyssey 925 but weighs 80% less?

EDIT: Install/Impressions Posted Below

This bad boy showed up yesterday. It has 420 cold crank amps compaired to 380 for the PC 925. The Voltphreaks VP750 weighs 5 lbs and the Odyssey weighs 26lbs plus has a heavy bracket.
Iam going to install today and will post impressions and pics.

Attached Images  

Last edited by MBailey; 03-20-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I can not wait to hear your impressions. I bought a used Odyssey from a board member which was dead. I am still looking for a good battery and I will be very interested in your results.
Robert

Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Take a pic with a quarter or something for spacial relationship purposes.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
Take a pic with a quarter or something for spacial relationship purposes.
Done!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
haha nice. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Sweet! How much and did the bracket come with it?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by ssmugen
How much = 8X Odyssey PC925 or $1200. And no it does come with a bracket. Iam "engineering" one right now...

The battery is Lithium-Iron similar to cell phone or PC batt which are Lithium-Cobalt. The difference in behavior is the LiFePO4 will not heat up and spontaneously combust like Lithium-Cobalt batt. sometimes do.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:35 AM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ssmugen

Wow, 1299.00. Expensive battery.

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@...products_id=81

Old 03-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Thought a new thread might be too much so Iam posting install/impressions here...

Battery came charged with measured 13.5V. Used a lawn mower battery mounting kit which we drilled into stock tray. This mount was plastic with two long screws. Frankly the battery does not need much of a bracket since its so light. Cables would almost hold it in place but I did not want any challenges with tech next weekend. The battery has an off/on button next to the terminals which glows blue when the battery is turned on. Power was maintained to the car during the swap by a Porsche trickler. This worked nicely.
Once the battery was mounted and turned on, the car started easily.

The Odyssey PC925 weighs 26 lbs according to their site. The bracket for this battery is a heavy duty aluminum cage which probably weighs 2 lbs. The VPH750 with my bracket weighs less than 6 lbs for a total weight savings of 22 lbs or so.

The Voltphreaks batteries also come with standard electronic management which prevents overcharging, overdischarging, and fault protection. The low voltage discharge protection also assures you will never return to a dead battery if you leave something on in the car. Once the battery discharges to a threshold level to start the car the battery turns off and preserves enough power to start the car.

Time will tell if the battery lasts the 5-10 years that Voltphreaks claims. I have had smaller lithium batteries which have lasted 5 years but they were not cycled as much as this battery will. There is a 30d return policy and a year warranty.
Link: http://www.voltphreaks.com/index.php

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Okay that price stings a good bit but it does sound like a damned nice solution. Please do keep us posted on it!

Hrm I guess a concern of mine with that shut off is that even if my battery is too weak to start it's not too weak to shut off the alarm and let me in the car so I can pop the hatch and jump it. I suppose with this you'll have to power it through the lighter to pop the bonnet and push the button?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Kudos for stepping up and testing the good stuff, Mike. I cheaped out for the $59 job...but it only weighs 11lbs. Keep it on my Porsche trickle charger. (and yes it's a sealed battery, no fumes to blow up)

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Hrm I guess a concern of mine with that shut off is that even if my battery is too weak to start it's not too weak to shut off the alarm and let me in the car so I can pop the hatch and jump it. I suppose with this you'll have to power it through the lighter to pop the bonnet and push the button?
Man BLKMGK! You always ask the insightful question that makes me think...

The answer is if the battery cuts off you can catch a manual release cable under the driver's side taillight and open the engine compartment. There you will find a jump post to power up car to open front bonnet and restart the battery.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Kudos for stepping up and testing the good stuff, Mike. I cheaped out for the $59 job...but it only weighs 11lbs. Keep it on my Porsche trickle charger. (and yes it's a sealed battery, no fumes to blow up)
Well, bang for the buck you got me beat there Mike! I only saved 6 lbs for $1140!! The voltphreaks batt is significantly lighter than what I had before though. Iam not 100% sure that it wont blow up the way Paulie's did if you leave it forever on trickle...

Last edited by MBailey; 03-20-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:54 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I know about that manual release but I'm not sure my cable hasn't been pulled up out of the way to keep fingers out of there. I think a battery plugged into the lighter would do it too if it came to it. Sadly my battery died this Winter and while it seems fine driving right now I'm pondering something lighter and fresher by Fall. And a danged trickle to go with it lol!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Great thread Mike. How is holding up and TTboost, how is your holding up?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What has more Power than Odyssey 925 but weighs 80% less?