996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Today's E.T/mph at TX2K10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
What is that Chris?

Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
What is that Chris?
Back in the early 2000s (and earlier) Vortech/Paxton/etc.. included these with their kits to enable you to run more HP on a smaller injector. It's called a FMU (Fuel Management Unit) and it basically was fed by Vacuum and it would close off the return side of the fuel system and it would build more fuel pressure in the fuel rails. This was for people who didn't want (or couldn't afford (like me back then)) new injectors. I ran one of these with a 4:1 disc in it. You'd go from 40psi of fuel pressure to 70-80psi of fuel pressure at WOT and 12psi from the blower. When I got the money the first thing I did was put 42lb injectors in so I didn't chance my motor. Then again I was only making 500rwhp back then (yeah this was 9-10 years ago LOL!).

This is/was a huge bandaid on cars and that's why you see all the new blower kits come with bigger injectors. If the vacuum hose came off of the FMU it was almost a insta gib for your motor.

I think it just boggles other tuners minds, including Tony (and a few others) as to why you'd run a smaller injector when a bigger injector is widely available? To each is his own though. Everyone makes power their own ways I guess!

Also an FYI if anyone says because of gas milage I'm going to slap you! I think I have the highest freeway MPG car out of anyone on this forum (cruising at 70-80mph I'm getting 20-22mpg). And I have a MONSTER fuel system and 1000cc injectors at 5bar.

Last edited by Powell; 03-24-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Why did you take the 83's out?
They kept leaking around the ring area. I tried different rings but could never stop the leak. Went back to a new set of 60's and the leak was gone.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
They kept leaking around the ring area. I tried different rings but could never stop the leak. Went back to a new set of 60's and the leak was gone.
Weird! I did screw up a ring installing my 60lbs originally back 2 years ago, but believe it or not a Mustang O-Ring worked on it! I was amazed and relieved I didn't have to wait a week to get parts in! LOL!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
If Jesus Christ himself was running the dyno while the holy ghost was tuning, I wouldnt run 60lb injectors to 900+ .
I respect that, Tony.

I don't want to get into a back and forth with you about it...but it seems to work perfectly fine for Protomotive.

My best friend actually owns the 3.8 liter car that put down 914 on 60lbrs at 1.5 bar...and that car is one of the best running, heavily-modifed cars I've ever been in. He drives it all the time, it's reliable as hell.

It's truly a phenomenal car.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Do you still have the old set of the 60 lb's? THe 60lb's that were made 3+ years ago are much better then the 60lb's that are currently available.

Let me know if you need a hand with the 83's. Thats primarily what we use on anything that will make more then 700 wheel hps.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Tony,

The 60s I have are a brand-new set of the old style. Todd had some in his shop. I sent him back my old ones.

For now, I'll stick with the 60's...but thanks for offering your help. It's much apprecited.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Powell
Weird! I did screw up a ring installing my 60lbs originally back 2 years ago, but believe it or not a Mustang O-Ring worked on it! I was amazed and relieved I didn't have to wait a week to get parts in! LOL!!!
It was weird, Chris. Had no issues on the install (they went in easily enough), but I couldn't stop the leaks no matter what o-rings I tried.

Took them out and re-instaled them twwice..and finally gave up and put the 60's back in. The car was much happier with the 60's.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Scott, do you know the compression ratio on that 3.8L car? My guess is that he is out of injectors at that whp.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
I also used a Ford O ring... went to the dealer and bought a few packages... lol

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL