996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSM or not to PSM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
PSM or not to PSM?

I drove home tonight without PSM and could actually feel a difference in the responsiveness of the car. Am I imagining this or what? Who else drives without PSM?

Old 01-04-2005, 09:05 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I do my hardest driving without PSM, but have never found it
perceptible in any public driving environment. I would suggest
asking someone to set PSM on or off while you weren't looking,
and then put tape over the switch so you wouldn't know, and
then try to tell by driving whether it was on or off.
I never turn it off in public, and if your feelings are really the
placebo effect, I would hate for you to get into a situation
where you needed PSM and it wasn't there.
I do notice the placebo effect in me too. A freshly waxed car
with a fresh oil change definitely 'drives smoother' and the car
sticks better right after I've checked the tire pressures...
Still though, if you're getting the tires to sing in corners, you
will notice PSM *is* like a car sedative...
Joe

Old 01-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Re: PSM or not to PSM?

Originally posted by greyghost
I drove home tonight without PSM and could actually feel a difference in the responsiveness of the car. Am I imagining this or what? Who else drives without PSM?
I drive with PSM off...the car is more throttle responsive.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:15 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I think that might hold true on a bone stock car. On the modified cars the car pushes the threshold of the PSM just in tire slippage. Mine will send you through the windshield getting on the highway if I leave it on

Old 01-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Moogle is infamous around these parts
what do people with highly engine modded cars do about PSM?

Old 01-04-2005, 10:50 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Moogle
what do people with highly engine modded cars do about PSM?
They disconnect the throttle body shutdown.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
They disconnect the throttle body shutdown.
Do you need the after market(scargo) larger throttle body to do this? if yes- does the computer freak out in any other way... is it drivable without any dashboard faults?

Old 01-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
I turned it off last night in the rain, gassed it through a corner in 2nd and let the back wheels drift a bit. Sure felt great, but would be dangerous in traffic

Old 01-05-2005, 07:02 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MARKSKI
Do you need the after market(scargo) larger throttle body to do this? if yes- does the computer freak out in any other way... is it drivable without any dashboard faults?
I believe so. There is a little more to it than simply changing the TB. To install the larger TB you need to make changes (sizing) to TB connections. In additiion, you need a certain amount of power for this TB to work properly. This TB would drown a stock 415 hp power plant. Give Rob @ S Car Go a call. It is very drivable. No computer problems/faults.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:14 PM
No Substitute is infamous around these parts
My car has a strange condition, with the PSM on with wet streets the car is almost undriveable. It darts all over and seems to open and close the throttle. I recently had to turn it off to get home safely. It's going in to the dealer but am curious if anyone has had this experience?

Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by No Substitute
My car has a strange condition, with the PSM on with wet streets the car is almost undriveable. It darts all over and seems to open and close the throttle. I recently had to turn it off to get home safely. It's going in to the dealer but am curious if anyone has had this experience?
Check your tires. Are the rears worn down and the fronts
still have lots of tread, or maybe the other way around?
Joe

Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Checked both tread and tire pressure, at first I thought it was a flat.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 PM
ypshan is infamous around these parts
The sensitivity of the PSM system doesn't seem to be identical from car to car. Our bone stock X50 seems to allow a lot more slip than another X50. The dealership has a system test that you can request them to recaliberate the ABS and the PSM systems.

So far, I've found that PSM only slows me down in very tight autocross corners (the kind that you would like the car to rotate a lot). On the track or on the street, I am not sure pushing over the 8-9 degrees of slip angle or having the wheels on the same axel spin at difference speed (when PSM kicks in even if you turn it off) actually gain any speed. Excessive tire slippage may give the feeling of running faster but often times it's not.

Note that I don't drag race so my observation is limited to the tracks and streets.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Interesting, I'll ask them to recalibrate. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: PSM or not to PSM?