996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Aftermarket stereo options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ant_8u
I have little knowledge and no experiance of the MOST system
However, you might want to have a look at this thread in the 997 section before making any decisions.....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7-997-1-a.html

I'm not sure if the 997 has separate components for the speakers (tweeter, mid, woofer), but if it does, that guy may trash those factory speakers. Sending a full signal range to a speaker designed for a sub-section of that range can lead to distortion and, ultimately, speaker distruction.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Very good point, and one which I know nothing about

Would the Pioneer units amp send different signals through different channels, or would it be the full range?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 PM
amag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to behold
I'm looking to do the same with my 03 tt and Alex at Sharkwerks recommend Sound Innovations in Hayward.
http://www.soundinnovations.com/

I've heard that they do really excellent work and are reasonably priced.

Originally Posted by beckham23
Anyone in the Bay Area can recommend installers or shops?

I think I need more opinions about this. I've been to Best Buy (which is more to the fact I happened to be there, I doubt their knowledge about our cars...I could be wrong) and another stereo shop on Stevens Creek, and those guys only gave me the feeling of giving me special P-car owner treatment on the quotes.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
Those Crutchfield guys may now how to install a head unit, but they don't know anything about your Porsche. The 2003 cars come with an optical MOST BUS for connecting the Head Unit, CD Changer, and Amp. You can't add a "regular" unit anywhere within the loop. If you want to change out the head unit, you will have to replace the factory amp and speakers as well. Like anything, you get what you pay for. $3G is not a crazy price, but assume that you won't be getting a $2G head unit. I can't stress this next statement enough: the quality of the audio installer you use FAR outweighs the quality of the components that you purchase. I can't tell you how many "high-end" systems I've heard that were installed by someone with little skill, that sound worse than a system built from Sony parts by someone with a clue.
Seth,
Bingo, its all about the installer, his knowledge and experience.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by amag
I'm looking to do the same with my 03 tt and Alex at Sharkwerks recommend Sound Innovations in Hayward.
http://www.soundinnovations.com/

I've heard that they do really excellent work and are reasonably priced.
Thanks, I will definitely swing by over the weekend!!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm

Rod (the owner) knows more about Porsche audio than anyone else I have ever met. He has complete systems starting with just subwoofer packages. I got his stuff shipped to me in Texas and he included install instruction, tech support and I made my installer in Texas talk to him many times to make sure my guy did it correctly. He came up with his subwoofer BEFORE bose started including them in the 2002+ 911's.

-Ben

Old 03-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone in the Bay Area can recommend installers or shops?

I think I need more opinions about this. I've been to Best Buy (which is more to the fact I happened to be there, I doubt their knowledge about our cars...I could be wrong) and another stereo shop on Stevens Creek, and those guys only gave me the feeling of giving me special P-car owner treatment on the quotes.
Try Neil at Autosonic in Novato

Old 03-26-2010, 12:54 AM
DrivItLkUStolIt is infamous around these parts
I do my own installs, never found anyone that does the kind of work I will do on my own car. (one exception here, when it come to mods for HP, Sharkwerks treats the car like it is theirs). Labor is expensive if you want the job done right. Save your money on the component side, buy off the web. Pioneer AVIC-Z110BTs are going for around $900 and the amp I just bought was $300 for 760W into 4 channels with active crossovers built into the amp. The second amp 350W in the photo is just for the subwoofer.

Attached Images   
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Very good point, and one which I know nothing about

Would the Pioneer units amp send different signals through different channels, or would it be the full range?
I don't know much about those head units. Most head units with speaker level outputs will have four channels. (Front Driver, Front Passenger, Rear Driver, Rear Passenger) The head unit probably has some crossover points that you can set for the whole channel, but the problem is that a set of component speakers will increase the number of channels that you'd need. If you can find a head unit with 12 channels, and internal crossovers, I suppose that would work. (Front Driver Tweeter, Front Driver Mid, Front Driver Woofer, Front Passenger Tweeter, ...) My personal opinion is that speaker companies know the optimum crossover points for their hardware, which is why they provide external crossovers (or build the crossovers directly into a factory amp.) If it were ME, if I did the head unit, I'd do an amp and speakers. If it makes you feel better, this is the only upgrade that you can do without the "porsche tax." Components are generic, and will fit in any car. You'll pay the same price for a GOOD install in a Porsche as a GOOD install in a Civic.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
The Avic-Z110BT is a great unit. Your picture of the install looks awesome, but I bet in person it looks 100 times better (at least mine looks sooo much better in person).

I am not handy enough to install, but found a reliable guy in Chicago who does top notch work. I had PCM1 - no MOST. Install was still a little different based on what he told me. I did not do amp/speakers for now. He also made a custom trim ring. Pictures do not do it justice. I wish I did this 3 years ago. Sounds a 100 times better through all the factory gear. Here is a really bad camera phone pic. I will post a decent picture when I get a chance and the top radio shelf is installed.

[quote=DrivItLkUStolIt;2778913]I do my own installs, never found anyone that does the kind of work I will do on my own car. (one exception here, when it come to mods for HP, Sharkwerks treats the car like it is theirs). Labor is expensive if you want the job done right. Save your money on the component side, buy off the web. Pioneer AVIC-Z110BTs are going for around $900 and the amp I just bought was $300 for 760W into 4 channels with active crossovers built into the amp. The second amp 350W in the photo is just for the subwoofer.[/quote

Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the info...why things can't be a bit easier?
The guys at Stevens Creek did my install for my '02 X50 3 years ago ... they did XM Radio + Bluetooth + iPod as well ...

PM me if you need more info ..

Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 AM
JG GT500 is infamous around these parts
Looking at head units for nav and iPod use. Any recommendations for installer in North jersey area? (2002 996T)