996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Aftermarket stereo options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Aftermarket stereo options?

I have a 03' turbo, and have been searching and querying about aftermarket stereo options since I only have the stock CD player with changer.

Most shops are quoting me around the region of $3k if I would like to have aftermarket head unit, e.g. Pioneer touchscreen nav, since it requires re-wiring (new wires) along with aftermarket speakers...etc.

Does that sound right to you? I never bother to update the stereo head units other than some Japanese cars I owned before, which was rather a piece of cake to upgrade. I just want to make sure I am not receiving that special Porsche-owner treatment when shops think that I have unlimited funds to update the interior. I just feel that it's time for the CD holder to go...

Thoughts?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
asgor is infamous around these parts
I am no expert in the field, but I do live 1 hr. away from Crutchfield (famous seller of car electronics) in Charlottesville VA where they also have an outlet with professional installation facilities.

When I went there a few months ago to have Bluetooth and SAT added to the Pioneer deck - not a NAV - in my 2003 Turbo (the Pioneer + amp. came with the car – I am the vehicle’s third owner) I got talking with the installers and inquired about maybe in the future installing a double-din NAV with Bluetooth and SAT.

In short, I was informally quoted between $1500 and $2000 for an AVIC unit – installed. And we aren’t talking about some unknown stereo shop “down the street”: these guys know their stuff.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Those Crutchfield guys may now how to install a head unit, but they don't know anything about your Porsche. The 2003 cars come with an optical MOST BUS for connecting the Head Unit, CD Changer, and Amp. You can't add a "regular" unit anywhere within the loop. If you want to change out the head unit, you will have to replace the factory amp and speakers as well. Like anything, you get what you pay for. $3G is not a crazy price, but assume that you won't be getting a $2G head unit. I can't stress this next statement enough: the quality of the audio installer you use FAR outweighs the quality of the components that you purchase. I can't tell you how many "high-end" systems I've heard that were installed by someone with little skill, that sound worse than a system built from Sony parts by someone with a clue.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
"2003 cars come with an optical MOST BUS for connecting the Head Unit, CD Changer, and Amp"

Did the 01 cars with PCM1 and 6 cd changer have this or something else. Just curious - I am having a system installed and am wondering if they will have issues.

Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
Those Crutchfield guys may now how to install a head unit, but they don't know anything about your Porsche. The 2003 cars come with an optical MOST BUS for connecting the Head Unit, CD Changer, and Amp. You can't add a "regular" unit anywhere within the loop. If you want to change out the head unit, you will have to replace the factory amp and speakers as well. Like anything, you get what you pay for. $3G is not a crazy price, but assume that you won't be getting a $2G head unit. I can't stress this next statement enough: the quality of the audio installer you use FAR outweighs the quality of the components that you purchase. I can't tell you how many "high-end" systems I've heard that were installed by someone with little skill, that sound worse than a system built from Sony parts by someone with a clue.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
I think you're fine in 2001. It was either 2002 or 2003 when they put in the optical network. You can tell which model years had which based on the cost of the aftermarket iPod kits available. They have them for the '01 for less than $100, but the ones for a MOST BUS are $400+.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Janker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really nice
Originally Posted by fdorn
"2003 cars come with an optical MOST BUS for connecting the Head Unit, CD Changer, and Amp"

Did the 01 cars with PCM1 and 6 cd changer have this or something else. Just curious - I am having a system installed and am wondering if they will have issues.
00 - 02 Had PCM1 preMOST wiring (std wiring/amps etc)
03 - 05 Had PCM2 MOST/Optic Fibre

Install is much cheaper in a pre 03 car as existing components can be reused.

Jim

Old 03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Thanks Seth and Jim
Originally Posted by Janker
00 - 02 Had PCM1 preMOST wiring (std wiring/amps etc)
03 - 05 Had PCM2 MOST/Optic Fibre

Install is much cheaper in a pre 03 car as existing components can be reused.

Jim

Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 AM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for all the info...why things can't be a bit easier?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 AM
trieullionaire has a spectacular aura abouttrieullionaire has a spectacular aura abouttrieullionaire has a spectacular aura about
03 diy

You should check out our post on renntech.org. You don't need to rewire speakers, that's a lot of work...and most likely why you get charge more. More labor, more cost. We've done a few installs where the car had the MOST system, and did not have to do more work than necessary.

1. Not necessary to replace your speakers or the wires. But if you want to, you can change speakers w/ out rewiring. I've done it to the door speakers and also the dash speakers of my Boxster. All factory wiring and harnesses...I even used the existing factory baffles for the door subs. Very simple.

2. The MOST fiber optic is not that scary or complicated. For the purpose of a head unit replacement, it is only a signal between the factory head unit and the amp.

The good news is that from the amp to your speakers are copper wires, and they are readily available for you to tap into right from the amplifier. So if you're going to install a new head unit, you'll just bypass the amp and tap into the speaker wire harness for audio output. For the 03 - 05 9X6, it is a very similar install to the 9X7 vehicles w/ the MOST fiber optic line. We have a post on Planet-9 w/ detailed DIY for the 9X7...just to show you how to overcome the issue w/ the MOST fiber optic line w/ a vehicle which has the Bose sound system.

3. Personally, installing in a 9X6 vehicle is just as simple as most other cars if not simpler. It's not that fragile or delicate...only in our minds.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ost__p__154048

The link above demonstrates how the kit is installed into an 03 version with PCM opening and the thin slot cup holder.

4.Last and final point, MOST is not that intimidating. If you have an understanding and knowledge of what components of your car can or can't be used, you'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary cost.

Guys, lots of information out there to do the install yourself. My hope is that for some of you who prefer to take it to a professional shop, that it will help you have an intelligent discussion with your installer and save money in the process.

Cheers,

Loi

Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks a lot Loi!! Thanks for shedding some light in an otherwise $3k tunnel. I'd rather save that for suspension.

All I really want to do is to bring the stereo unit back to the 21st century...I am not complaining about the speakers or sound quality...

Let me read through the post and figure out all the parts that I need to make this a DIY project. Hopefully, it's not very challenging to move the AC unit down...the CD holder just needs to go if possible.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
3k is on the high side if the speakers aren't highish end and seperate amps installed with minor custom work.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
You should check out our post on renntech.org. You don't need to rewire speakers, that's a lot of work...and most likely why you get charge more. More labor, more cost. We've done a few installs where the car had the MOST system, and did not have to do more work than necessary.

1. Not necessary to replace your speakers or the wires. But if you want to, you can change speakers w/ out rewiring. I've done it to the door speakers and also the dash speakers of my Boxster. All factory wiring and harnesses...I even used the existing factory baffles for the door subs. Very simple.

2. The MOST fiber optic is not that scary or complicated. For the purpose of a head unit replacement, it is only a signal between the factory head unit and the amp.

The good news is that from the amp to your speakers are copper wires, and they are readily available for you to tap into right from the amplifier. So if you're going to install a new head unit, you'll just bypass the amp and tap into the speaker wire harness for audio output. For the 03 - 05 9X6, it is a very similar install to the 9X7 vehicles w/ the MOST fiber optic line. We have a post on Planet-9 w/ detailed DIY for the 9X7...just to show you how to overcome the issue w/ the MOST fiber optic line w/ a vehicle which has the Bose sound system.

3. Personally, installing in a 9X6 vehicle is just as simple as most other cars if not simpler. It's not that fragile or delicate...only in our minds.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ost__p__154048

The link above demonstrates how the kit is installed into an 03 version with PCM opening and the thin slot cup holder.

4.Last and final point, MOST is not that intimidating. If you have an understanding and knowledge of what components of your car can or can't be used, you'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary cost.

Guys, lots of information out there to do the install yourself. My hope is that for some of you who prefer to take it to a professional shop, that it will help you have an intelligent discussion with your installer and save money in the process.

Cheers,

Loi

Personally, I wouldn't reuse anything besides the copper wiring. The OEM speakers are designed to work with the factory crossover points that are set within the stock amplifier. To retain the speakers and use them properly, you would need to use an external crossover of some sort, which is way too much effort to keep mediocre speakers.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Anyone in the Bay Area can recommend installers or shops?

I think I need more opinions about this. I've been to Best Buy (which is more to the fact I happened to be there, I doubt their knowledge about our cars...I could be wrong) and another stereo shop on Stevens Creek, and those guys only gave me the feeling of giving me special P-car owner treatment on the quotes.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Make sure you REALLY shop around. If a guy is sloppy for five minutes out of the whole install, you can wind up with "alternator whine" or rattles in the interior panels that will drive you nuts. Find someone with an aftermarket stereo system that you respect, and then go to their installer. As pointed out above, the Porsche-Specific details are not complicated at all, just a pain in that you have to go all-or-none when upgrading something. A competent installer can do as good a job on your Porsche as he would do on a Mustang. If you elect to change things out, there's really nothing exotic going on. Don't let someone talk you into replacing some pieces, though.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I have little knowledge and no experiance of the MOST system
However, you might want to have a look at this thread in the 997 section before making any decisions.....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7-997-1-a.html

Last edited by ant_8u; 03-24-2010 at 04:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo options?