996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is your definition of a "street car"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i dont get why everyone sais no ac who cares?... must past inspection , emissions, drivable to and from the track (legaly).. THE END !!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
First it must be street legal. ( think about that, that means heater, windshield wipers, exct) Then it must be able to have at lease 1 passinger. It should be able to drive all day when you drive it and not just a few blocks before over heating or needing regular maintenance.
After that it is all cosmetic.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Blockhed
Inspection is kind of on the fence because in some states you have no emissions so some cars can be catless and street legal, SC for example.
and florida..

Mike

Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
1q2w3e4r is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
This is a question that's been debated for many years by car enthusiasts everywhere, but let's see what you 6speeders think.

My opinion: It must not only be truly "street legal" (with all required turn signals, lights, state inspection stickers, etc..) but also must...

-Have the ability to use highway legal fuel that's readily available at public gas stations.

-Able to be safely driven in both the dry or the rain without getting the driver wet.

-Be able to be driven on a daily-basis on all types of public roads without continually breaking down.

-MUST have A/C. If it doesn't, I don't consider that truly streetable.

Those are only my opinions. What do you guys think?
Agree with all of that plus

- Carpet. Has to have carpet in it and sound deadening.
- Roll cage, half cages are okay. Full cage puts it in the race category, or straight from home to the race track and back box
- AC as you mentioned.
- Radio
- Rear exiting exhaust with mufflers
- Must run on pump fuel

Outside of that I don't care how loud it is, how tough the clutch is, what it idles like, how much the track pads squeal etc. Its streetable IMO

Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r
Agree with all of that plus

- Carpet. Has to have carpet in it and sound deadening.
- Roll cage, half cages are okay. Full cage puts it in the race category, or straight from home to the race track and back box
- AC as you mentioned.
- Radio
- Rear exiting exhaust with mufflers
- Must run on pump fuel

Outside of that I don't care how loud it is, how tough the clutch is, what it idles like, how much the track pads squeal etc. Its streetable IMO
Some cars have no sound deadening from factory.. such as my Sh1tbox Evo RS.. still a street car IMO..

Mike

Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
My definition would be..."Legal to drive on the street"

Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DaLuca Straps
Make sure its street legal.....

-Daniel
Well for FLorida that rules out anything without OEM Exhaust.. No matter how QUIET modified exhaust gets you a ticket..

Mike

Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Memphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to behold
So cars with no front license plate = racecar in most states right lol

Old 03-23-2010, 04:09 AM
1q2w3e4r is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Some cars have no sound deadening from factory.. such as my Sh1tbox Evo RS.. still a street car IMO..

Mike
Has carpet though, which is good enough for me

Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If it's comfortable while driving, street car. If it rides like a buckboard, track car.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
This is a question that's been debated for many years by car enthusiasts everywhere, but let's see what you 6speeders think.

My opinion: It must not only be truly "street legal" (with all required turn signals, lights, state inspection stickers, etc..) but also must...

-Have the ability to use highway legal fuel that's readily available at public gas stations.

-Able to be safely driven in both the dry or the rain without getting the driver wet.

-Be able to be driven on a daily-basis on all types of public roads without continually breaking down.

-MUST have A/C. If it doesn't, I don't consider that truly streetable.

Those are only my opinions. What do you guys think?

I agree with you. A street legal car must pass street legal laws. Most of the cars running fast on this forum don't qualify. If you run, strictly C16 with an EBC, you have no cats, you are not street legal. Plain and simple.

If you run cats and you have a pump gas file and run pump gas mixed with unleaded VP100 for safety you are legal.

The fast times posted, are all for not street legal cars, except for the stockers. The Enzo, Veyron comparison times are using regular pump gas files, not some all out race file.

As for noise laws, they vary from state to state so I don't consider that an issue. Turbos deaden sound well enough that you are not likely to get pulled over for that if you have cats which also deaden sound. I have never been questioned about noise when I had cats and straight pipes.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Im much more lenient, would say anything that:
runs on available pump gas (additives ok)
has road tax (legally or illegally obtained)
50/50 chance or less of getting impounded if a cop pulled up side by side or behind at stop light

Last edited by Mad Ness; 03-23-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I agree with you. A street legal car must pass street legal laws. Most of the cars running fast on this forum don't qualify. If you run, strictly C16 with an EBC, you have no cats, you are not street legal. Plain and simple.

If you run cats and you have a pump gas file and run pump gas mixed with unleaded VP100 for safety you are legal.

The fast times posted, are all for not street legal cars, except for the stockers. The Enzo, Veyron comparison times are using regular pump gas files, not some all out race file.

As for noise laws, they vary from state to state so I don't consider that an issue. Turbos deaden sound well enough that you are not likely to get pulled over for that if you have cats which also deaden sound. I have never been questioned about noise when I had cats and straight pipes.

Times posted where?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Don't need no muffler's in Florida, at least I didn't when I ran the GT3 with bypass pipes.

My criteria is set by my comfort level during the One Lap.

Gutted OK
Loud Exhaust OK That is what ear plugs are for.
Comfortable seats, I prefer Pro 2000
Roll Bar OK
AC mandatory
Heat mandatory ( It snowed in 2007 going through Wyoming)
Cruise Control Mandatory keeps me from going over the speed limit

Peter

Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Times posted where?
in Scotts sticky(sorry if that doesn't sound right), where else? Most are running race file and fuel. some are not. But the fastest cars certainly are.