996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

does bigger mean better...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 PM
drbill is infamous around these parts
does bigger mean better...

my major service on my ferrari is due this spring and i am having debate with guys over on f-chat over a issue which would also be highly relevant for porsches. if a one man outfit is highly recomended to service your vehicle (yrs of experience with ferrari/porsche at Autosport on L.I.) are there any pros or cons over using a large outfit such as an authorized ferrari/porsche dealer. Another words, if both highly recomended,close in price, pickup/dropoff courtesy, would you chose authorized dealer over independent anyway?

Old 01-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
I have always leaned towards the small independent - he lives off the goodwill of his customers - he is focused on ensuring everything is done right. The dealers care, but they have other customers and it reduces your leverage.

IMHO

Old 01-06-2005, 03:24 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Since you participate in F-chat, you could ask over there, if owners from your area recommend either option. Nothing beats personal experience, especially, when it comes to performing a major service on an F-car.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:44 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
For a minute I thought you were soliciting opinions on you getting that much-needed manhood-lengthening procedure. IMO. warranty work is for the dealer and all other work should be done outside if you find a qualified person.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:47 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Ditto the Devil. I use the dealer for major service/warranty, RPM for all else.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
From what I have read, resale may be affected depending on who does the service.

From my own standpoint, complete timely records would be most important to me. I would personally look for someone trying to cut corners, so while I may not pay more for a car with factory service, I would be more drawn to a car with it.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:41 AM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
If cost is the issue, get quotes from both, and negotiate with the dealer. If the dealer's got the free time, they'll likely match prices.

After re-reading your post cost isn't the issue; I would go to the dealer primarily because if anything goes wrong, they're less likely to pack up and leave town

Last edited by MJC123; 01-06-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:49 AM
wantone is infamous around these parts
I think it also depends on the make and year of the car. If it's a Classic, I'd bring it to the Independent. For more modern models, the dealer. The Independent simply does not have all the necessary diagnostic tools and software for the car. This is especially the case for MBs and BMWs. Just my 0.2!

Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 AM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
The attention to detail and getting food on his table depends on the smaller guys service and quality that he performs due to word of mouth can make or break him ... however, the bigger guy goes through more trial and error's with a certain problem that he knows how to fix right away because he's done a bunch before? No I wonder if we did it this way comments? ... plus the bigger guy has the capital for newer up to date equipment ...

Dario

Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Red Devil
For a minute I thought you were soliciting opinions on you getting that much-needed manhood-lengthening procedure.
Isn't that what he is asking for??

Lou

Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
An independent can use less expensive aftermarket/grey market/rebuilt parts. For instance, several years ago an alternator for my 928 was $800 at the dealer. I got an alternator shop to replace the diodes fot $37. The dealers are locked into using only new factory Porsche supplied parts.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally posted by LSM
Isn't that what he is asking for??

Lou
Right you are Lou! Someone must have told him, mistakenly of course, that getting rid of a Porsche and getting a Ferrari is the medical equivalent of gaining a couple inches. Not only do we all know this isn't true, but now he's experiencing the puckering and shriveling that go along with the F-car repair bills.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Red Devil
Right you are Lou! Someone must have told him, mistakenly of course, that getting rid of a Porsche and getting a Ferrari is the medical equivalent of gaining a couple inches. Not only do we all know this isn't true, but now he's experiencing the puckering and shriveling that go along with the F-car repair bills.
Not worried about the cost of servicing car at all- wouldn't have purchased a f-car if that was an issue. as a matter of fact, thanks to the input from fellow f-car owners I will be servicing the car at a highly recommended authorized ferrari facilty which will cost more. For those who misconstrued bigger is better or that a sportscar makes you more of a man , perhaps they identify with this due to their own lack of performance and I'm not talking about 0 to sixty in three seconds but something else that happens in 3 seconds.......

Old 01-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Andrew708
Bill..i dont understand you? why do you keep asking people for their opinion? you ultimatly do what you want in the long run..as for john doing your work..he's the best,and he hass done all my p-car work,as well as the services on all my ferraris...i think you will get ripped off at the dealer,when john will only charge you the labor,and sell the parts at his cost......also you had him go with you to penn to look at this car...you trusted him then...why not now?? just my .02 cents...you know i wouldn't tell you to go to john if he wasn't the best....especially when he has done so much work for myself,and all my customers.....

Old 01-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Andrew708
Bill..i dont understand you? why do you keep asking people for their opinion? you ultimatly do what you want in the long run..as for john doing your work..he's the best,and he hass done all my p-car work,as well as the services on all my ferraris...i think you will get ripped off at the dealer,when john will only charge you the labor,and sell the parts at his cost......also you had him go with you to penn to look at this car...you trusted him then...why not now?? just my .02 cents...you know i wouldn't tell you to go to john if he wasn't the best....especially when he has done so much work for myself,and all my customers.....
i will get a quote from John first but WWC has great rep for service and will pick up car, enclosed flatbed -back and forth. this is coming from many f-car owners in the area.Justin has also given me a great deal incl. 10% off job, no charge for labor on water pump, 38 hour service quote instead of 40, and $104 dollars per hour etc...i know John has done lots of Porsche work but how much Ferrari work has he done? as much as porsche?please elaborate on your statement "as well as the services on all my ferraris".how many ferraris have you owned that he has done service on? i don't know of you owning a ferrari since i met you which is 5-6 yrs..who else has used John for ferrari service-please give me references. thanks for the help Andy but I must not make a decision here in haste.

Last edited by drbill; 01-08-2005 at 05:59 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: does bigger mean better...