996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

IB and Mikelly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
He's gone.
but not forgotten...lol...doesn't mean we can't yell at him. After all, he never listened to any of us Blingspeeders anyway

Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
eMacPaul is infamous around these parts
I know a noob like me doesn't pull a lot of weight on a forum, but I joined up here to learn about the 996TT. And I have learned a lot.

But if the only information allowed to be discussed is that of sponsors, I'm afraid I'll have to find some place that allows open, unbiased discussion of all products. How else will I know I'm getting accurate information?

I'm active on AudiZine, and I have to say, they have a great policy over there regarding what you can post.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 PM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
Tough situation. I understand this is a business for IB, but it is a hobby for members and an educational tool. Recently, I posted a thread needing opinions on modded 996tt vs. GT2 vs. stock TT. I mentioned 2 sellers cars I was looking at, trying to get ahold of on the phone. 1 seller is a personal car, but their forum name is their business name. I just mentioned the "forum user name", and thread got deleted because they are not a sponsor Thats over-zealous if you ask me.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 PM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
there's always two sides of a story and more often than anything when there are valid reasons on both sides, people ought to not draw a line in the sand.

ib should ask mike kelly back and allow him to post the exact post he did on rennlist about the rotors. that post would not be objectionable in anyway to a sponsor. his input over the years is invaluable.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I'm afraid that many of you are misinformed and this thread is somewhat misleading...there is no problem with discussion of any product or any individual on this forum, in fact discussion is encouraged...the problem is when the discussion turns into providing a point of sale for a non-sponsor....I don't see why it is so difficult for some to see this distinction clearly...our sponsors pay to keep this board up and all of us are free to participate here at IB's pleasure...the fact that they want businesses to pay to sell here is their right....it should be understood that they have no policy regarding open discussion of products or individuals...however, if someone posts "don't buy a certain product from sponsor x cause you can buy a similar product from non-sponsor y for $50 less and here is his phone number and webpage" in open forum it will be removed or edited for content...that same member could easily have said.."I know of a place where you can get a good deal on this product...pm me for the info" and his post would not be edited or removed...you are still informing a member of a better deal without thumbing your nose at a sponsor or IB...not a complex issue and nothing to get all worked up about...if anyone ever has a question as to what is acceptable PLEASE feel free to pm me or any of the mods..that is why we are here...to help

Old 03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
That post was cut and pasted from the one here... identical... I am typing up something now... I will post in a new thread, not sure where, but on this site, in about 20 minutes.

Internet Brands owes me nothing. This is their rodeo. They can do as they wish and I am under no illusions there. I'm not so much as a blip on their radar.

Mike Kelly

Originally Posted by dfwerdoc
there's always two sides of a story and more often than anything when there are valid reasons on both sides, people ought to not draw a line in the sand.

ib should ask mike kelly back and allow him to post the exact post he did on rennlist about the rotors. that post would not be objectionable in anyway to a sponsor. his input over the years is invaluable.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yea, chuck, I could do that, and then it would be just like the 150 or MORE PMs for the shop manuals. It isn't like I have all day everyday to do this stuff. No thanks... I'll take that info elsewhere, but keep spinning it in that positive light you seem to want to shine on the situation. I don't want to BE in the rotor business, just wanted to pass along the deal, but don't worry my man, there are other ways to get that info out without using 6speedsonline.com...

Mike Kelly

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I'm afraid that many of you are misinformed and this thread is somewhat misleading...there is no problem with discussion of any product or any individual on this forum, in fact discussion is encouraged...the problem is when the discussion turns into providing a point of sale for a non-sponsor....I don't see why it is so difficult for some to see this distinction clearly...our sponsors pay to keep this board up and all of us are free to participate here at IB's pleasure...the fact that they want businesses to pay to sell here is their right....it should be understood that they have no policy regarding open discussion of products or individuals...however, if someone posts "don't buy a certain product from sponsor x cause you can buy a similar product from non-sponsor y for $50 less and here is his phone number and webpage" in open forum it will be removed or edited for content...that same member could easily have said.."I know of a place where you can get a good deal on this product...pm me for the info" and his post would not be edited or removed...you are still informing a member of a better deal without thumbing your nose at a sponsor or IB...not a complex issue and nothing to get all worked up about...if anyone ever has a question as to what is acceptable PLEASE feel free to pm me or any of the mods..that is why we are here...to help

Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
IB recently took over a UK based ford site i use alot and it has changed so much since , with moderating tightning up and adverts everywhere. Mostly for American based car parts and deal so of no good at all to the majority of site users.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Yea, chuck, I could do that, and then it would be just like the 150 or MORE PMs for the shop manuals. It isn't like I have all day everyday to do this stuff. No thanks... I'll take that info elsewhere, but keep spinning it in that positive light you seem to want to shine on the situation. I don't want to BE in the rotor business, just wanted to pass along the deal, but don't worry my man, there are other ways to get that info out without using 6speedsonline.com...

Mike Kelly
Mike, there are always work arounds if you care to take a minute to work it out...your original post was edited because it had full contact info and pricing for a non sponsor...you could have received permission from your friend to post his email address and have members email him for the info (this is way more acceptable than posting a link to his commercial website) then you don't need to deal with all the pm's...try to be a little reasonable when these situations arise instead of just taking an opposing posture and I'm sure we can find a way...or is this just more of my positive spin?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Chuck, No, It's more of my tired of the bullshyte...

Mike

Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Chuck, No, It's more of my tired of the bullshyte...

Mike
Aren't you banned yet? lol

Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
I would like to point out that this is not the moderators but an IB policy that is behind this. .
Is there a link to this "policy"?

Thanks

or is it a loose policy of 'just come down on people that aren't sponsors if you see anything'??

I see HUGE variability in the 'enthusiasm' of some mods to over-enforce versus some that just roll with it. Do mods get a cut? Then why sweat it? IB owns it, if it looses money and closes we'll go somewhere else. Heck, we'll be doing that anyway it seems.

A

Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
I've been on boards forever. I was working with the Internet since 1992. I've seen all kinds and the only ones I stay on are where the membership has something valuable to contribute, because I'm here to learn.

Forums always seem to forget one thing, that content is king, and on special interest forums, it's the mainly the membership (and to a much less degree the sponsors) that provide the value I seek.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I will be sad to see Mike leave, I have conversed with him several times and have met him personally, I have also had my hand slapped for merely mentioning a non sponsor, but my post didn't have links or prices, just "I learned how to use a buffer, we used x product..." and that was enough of a trigger to get spoken to. Personally, I think this is slightly heavy handed, I dont know what Mike did/said or inferred but he is a significant contributor and a big part of this forum.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Supercollider
I've been on boards forever. I was working with the Internet since 1992. I've seen all kinds and the only ones I stay on are where the membership has something valuable to contribute, because I'm here to learn.

Forums always seem to forget one thing, that content is king, and on special interest forums, it's the mainly the membership (and to a much less degree the sponsors) that provide the value I seek.
Ditto! In fact Mike and I have participated on hobby run boards with huge readerships and little hassle in the past. The difference there was the community made all the parts and sold among themselves - including Mike for awhile. Once in awhile we contributed to keep the board running. <shrug> It was friendly, it was hardcore tech, and crap like this never came up. We had, at one point, three different guys making brakes for that car because it was their passion and they made a little money on the side. No one trashed one another, no one sent flaming PMs either.

I too have seen what heavy hands do to forums although the one I'm thinking of was a tech forum. When the information left so did the users. I didn't see Mike's post but I understand he was telling folks how to piece together a good brake setup for a reasonable cost - nothing wrong with that and I WILL find it on the other board. Our vendors could do the same and frankly I'd pay a reasonable margin for it - so sorry if it doesn't make you as much money as something else. But instead it seems the P-tax gets supported. I had high hopes when I saw the likes of Titan and BoostLogic showing up here. Sadly they haven't been as active as I'd hoped.... Markski seems to be the shining light in the dark FWIW - an enthusiast making parts for others not looking to make a mint. AMS has been good too I think. Ah, I did also enjoy the tech info from the trans guys and no I didn't agree with Mike but it seems this is a hot button with him and now I begin to better understand why.

If folks sharing how to do things and heaven forbid how to figure out a brake system for under a million bux is frowned upon becasue there was contact info then I guess I'll be looking too. I'm not as militant as Mike about it but I want info, I want test results that aren't fudged, and I want knowledgeable users to talk to and not endless shills. If this is somehow not okay for the folks who run or rather own the board then I will seek that elsewhere. Do they not think that when I want something like info on brakes that I won't check other forums too? And that if I find good information elsewhere that's banned here I won't keep checking those other places? That I won't notice that the knowledgeable people are elsewhere? This is short-sighted but then greed often is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: IB and Mikelly