996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

IB and Mikelly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
IB and Mikelly

Since the mods want to close any open discussion on how the forum (that we the users make opportunity for them to make money on) should be ran, I thought I would start a dedicated thread for the current issue.

I think we have all seen the heavy hand come down on a few members the past few months. First it was MARKSI, now Mikelly. These two are VERY big parts of this forum and it's success.

Both have spent countless hours on the board and helping others. I never once saw a post by Marek that was trying to sell anything. Now Mikelly posts something trying to help others with a good deal on brake rotors. He is NOT selling them himself.

While I understand the viewpoint of IB that sponsors might start to cry. And I am sure they do cry very well to IB (and for the prices IB charges, I probably would to). I think a non-sponsor related member should be able to post pretty much anything they want. As long as it helps other members. If sponsors want to cry, then they should get more involved in the board and actually try to help.

I know there are several involved sponsors and we all know who they are, so don't take that statement as a blanket statement.

I guess it boils down to who has censorship over the content? Should the members be able to post and help each other? Or should the sponsors rule the board and dictate what can or can't be posted?

I run websites for a living. These forums are a dime a dozen to run. IB is making bank on advertising IMO. They have a LOT at stake if they lose sponsors. I understand that. But it seems they don't weight losing a large chunk of members in their equation. Let me spell it out. No members = no sponsors = no pay for IB.

Let's see how long it takes for this thread to get closed by the USSIB.

Comments?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
I have to agree both Markski and Mikelly have brought a lot of great information on these boards and I got a lot of help from them. Money is money but in the end like said above no members is no money.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Fighting a lost cause I'm afraid... said this years ago, This is no a forum.

And do you not think that mentioning personal information for everyone to view about his Mother here is a bit off! It might just be me being sensitive but I was actually pretty shocked to read that coming from a moderator... absolutely bizarre!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Banned
DINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the rough
Someone removed a post I did, I presumed it was because I used some data from some intercoolers I have who come from a non sponsor but maybe it was because I was asking the sponsor for some more data to substantiate his claims of "worlds best intercooler" - or maybe it was because I am just too damn rude

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Although I consider Mikelly a great attribute to this community and I hope he and IB can get past this, I do agree that rules are rules. IB did not say he could not provide info to another user, they just don't want it advertised with full name and number publicly in fairness to paying sponsors. I see nothing wrong with that. He can still pm everyone the info. Just not post it in public. He was still free to mention it in posts, just not all of the info. I honestly don't see a problem with this.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Ducgsxr is infamous around these parts
The heavy-handed tactics used on this "forum" seem strangely familiar... Where have we seen this before? Hmm...

Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Fighting a lost cause I'm afraid... said this years ago, This is no a forum.

And do you not think that mentioning personal information for everyone to view about his Mother here is a bit off! It might just be me being sensitive but I was actually pretty shocked to read that coming from a moderator... absolutely bizarre!

Not if Mike had already mentioned it. Not sure if that was the case. Stevo, this is not a non forum. It is still the biggest and best 996tt/GT2/997tt forum online like it or not. And it is up to us to make it better.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned
DINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Prche951
It is still the biggest and best 996tt/GT2/997tt forum online like it or not. And it is up to us to make it better.
Surely having access to data from the expensive top performing intercoolers (which lets face it very few people would ever consider buying so in reality hardly a competitor) is a big asset to the forum and should allow sponsors who manufacture cheaper intercoolers to compare their data and prove that their wares are as good or certainly much better value for money - that is how I see it but it seems most manufacturers just like the presentation rather than the proof (exception being EVOMS with the 236mph runs - am I allowed to say that, are they a sponsor ? )

Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by DINpower
Surely having access to data from the expensive top performing intercoolers (which lets face it very few people would ever consider buying so in reality hardly a competitor) is a big asset to the forum and should allow sponsors who manufacture cheaper intercoolers to compare their data and prove that their wares are as good or certainly much better value for money - that is how I see it but it seems most manufacturers just like the presentation rather than the proof (exception being EVOMS with the 236mph runs - am I allowed to say that, are they a sponsor ? )

agreed, and sometimes, posts get deleted or you get banned for no reason, by mistake. I got banned by mistake on another forum, and when I asked they did not even know I had been banned for 10 days. I wasn't even posting anything. I did not read your posting so I don't know but if it looked like an infomercial then that might be a problem

Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prche951
Not if Mike had already mentioned it. Not sure if that was the case. Stevo, this is not a non forum. It is still the biggest and best 996tt/GT2/997tt forum online like it or not. And it is up to us to make it better.
Are you on IB Books?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Are you on IB Books?

???? not sure what you mean by that. IB Books?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
This forum is a cash cow so are other IB forums. If they weren't in it to make money then why would they have payed a million+ for each forum they picked up. Please don't come in and say they didn't. I know one of the owners of a MAJOR LS1 forum they picked up and I saw the price they were paid LOL!

If they don't want people to advertise an unpaid sponsor then that's how it has to be. The only thing the makes me mad about this forum is that it's the only forum with a profanity filter on it. The avg user on this site is in their 30s-40s not 12... On the LS1 site the average age is 18 and it's open over here. I know this because I was threatened to be banned for posting a picture with the F word in it as a joke.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
"....$13.3 million year-over-year decrease in automotive e-commerce revenues due to continued weakness in consumer demand for automobiles resulting from the adverse economic and credit climate in 2009. As a result, overall Consumer Internet revenues were $66.2 million for the year ended December 31, 2009 compared to $71.6 million in the prior year. "

From Internet Brands press release dated last month...

Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raineycd
No members = no sponsors = no pay for IB.
The lack of understanding in that formula has led to the downfall of MANY bulletin boards. A hostile environment to protect sponsors causes a fleeing of valuable members, which makes the board less usefull, which drives away the casual members, which kills ad revenue. Period. There certainly is a point of protection that makes sense, but I think many boards err too far to the side of overprotection. In aftermarket auto tuning industry, where many of these sponsors are extremely poorly capitalized, (and run as side businesses out of a garage), I'd be hesitant to protect someone that has a 50/50 shot of being open in two years.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DINpower
that is how I see it but it seems most manufacturers just like the presentation rather than the proof (exception being EVOMS with the 236mph runs - am I allowed to say that, are they a sponsor ? )
Bello Performance - 236 MPH = World record Standing Mile for any Porsche
EVOMS - 231 mph = World record Standing Mile for any 996 or 997
Switzer - 9.79 @ 146.4 = World record 1/4 mile for any 997
BBi - 4.25 = World record 60-130 for any 996
Boost Logic - 10.08 @ 148.8 = World record 1/4 mile for stock motor 996
EVOMS - 9.67 @ 149.8 = World record 1/4 mile time for any 996
Boost Logic - 4.89 = World record 60-130 for stock motor 996
Switzer - 4.25 = World record 60-130 for any 997
Bello Performance - 9.17 @ 161 = World record 1/4 mile for any Porsche
Protomotive - Held previous world records in both the 60-130 and 1/4 mile

All American tuners, all world records. Get your facts straight next time.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-25-2010 at 10:19 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: IB and Mikelly