996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fender rolling for 315s in rear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tvurt
235/40/18 in ft and 315/30/18 in rear are perfect. I run ps2's in those sizes and have no rubbing issues on champion RG5' 18x11.5.

Don't assume that the tire width is the only factor here the offset of the rim has to be right to get the tire to fit. What offset are you running in the rear? A high offset can be cured with a spacer but a low offset can not.

Tom

What offset did you run?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Prche951
What offset did you run?

lol you would ask that. I don't know, and i cant seem to find it on champions web site

Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
Ran a few searches and couldn't come up with a definite answer.

Just procured some new rims (11 inch rears) (stock offset) and was going to go with a 315/30/18 tire.

2 Questions:

1- Will they fit without rolling the fenders?

2 - If rear fenders need to be rolled, how do they do this on our cars. I went out and looked at mine and it seems that they fold in and fit flush with the inside wheel well guard. So how can they be rolled when they're flush against this. Has anyone else rolled theirs with this issue?

Please advise.. thanks,

M
Stock offset should work without issue. 18" or 19" wheels with non stock width and offset can cause rubbing either on the inside or outside. Outside rubbing requires rolling the inside fender lips which is no big deal. (I've rolled the rear fender lips on every Porsche I've owned with no issues). The other issue that most peeps focus on is inside rubbing on the rear liner wells or IC hoses at extreme suspension travel on a lowered car. Personally I'd rather deal with rolling the outside lips than dealing with inner fender well or IC hose rubbing.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Silver, bottom line answer is yes, they fit pending your offset, I just bought a set of 18x12 HRE's with 315/30's, they fit without any issues, a stock size wheel with decent size spacers would work as well.

Ran a few searches and couldn't come up with a definite answer.

Just procured some new rims (11 inch rears) (stock offset) and was going to go with a 315/30/18 tire.

2 Questions:

1- Will they fit without rolling the fenders?

2 - If rear fenders need to be rolled, how do they do this on our cars. I went out and looked at mine and it seems that they fold in and fit flush with the inside wheel well guard. So how can they be rolled when they're flush against this. Has anyone else rolled theirs with this issue?

Please advise.. thanks,

M

Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
I have 295-30-19 (Pzero Rosso) on Champion RG5b's and I get some slight rubbing on the drivers side intercooler hose and on the fender lip when the suspension is fully compressed (over large dips in the road). It probably has hit 5-10 times in the past 3000 miles and much less since I have raised the car up from GT2 height. Only one side hits and the other is perfectly fine

Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Depends on your wheels and offset and suspension settings... I would just drive around a few days after you install your new wheels and see if the fender rubs on your tires

my 19 techarts with et25 and 315 ps2s and -2.5 degree camber needed rolled fenders

Old 03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
At factory offsets you should be fine. I sell 315 in 18 and 19" all the time and they fit fine unless someone is trying to go completely off the reservation with wheel offsets, lowering, spacers....etc.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Great info from all. I relly appreciate it.

The new rims will have the stock offsets, so that won't be an issue.

Now, looking into tires (brands, use, treadlife)...all the usual factors.

Thanks again!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Great info from all. I relly appreciate it.

The new rims will have the stock offsets, so that won't be an issue.

Now, looking into tires (brands, use, treadlife)...all the usual factors.

Thanks again!

actually that might be a problem. The stock offset was designed for the 295's, the GT2 offset was designed for the 315's. DEEPBLUE's car has the GT2 offset. You may need spacers. Not a problem. Just keep it in mind.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:01 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Prche951
actually that might be a problem. The stock offset was designed for the 295's, the GT2 offset was designed for the 315's. DEEPBLUE's car has the GT2 offset. You may need spacers. Not a problem. Just keep it in mind.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see then. Although the 315s would only be an extra 10 mm on each side, I think it should be ok with the stock spacing. I think others have this set up as they're running 315's on the stock turbo twists and aren't having any issues.

I read something earlier on another site about some poor guy paying for HREs and when he got his tires mounted at his local Discount Tire they scraped and put a small bend (about 1/4 inch) on the rim edge.

Anyone else have issues with Discount Tire? This is where I was going to have it done, but if there are other, better suggestions, let me know please. Or id discount usually ok to be trusted?

Great thread guys. You've been very helpfull.