996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another Profec blown?! Time for something else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tvurt
If you had time to put together a simple schematic of the line routing for both internal and external wastegates, I bet you would sell a few. Even if you just draw it like Vivid did with the profec diagram!

Tom
I think I can explain it better than I can draw it-

The EVC stepper motor (the piece that goes in the engine compartment) has three nipples on it. I will explain everything as if looking at the top of the stepper motor and the nipples are facing up. The nipple in the middle and on the left are larger than the nipple on the right.

There are two basic factory set-ups on an integral wastegate car. We will talk about internal wastegate because that is what 99% of the installs are going to be on if this is your first time putting in a boost controller. You will either have a factory boost control solenoid or you wont. The EVC will set up the exact same way on both types but the factory set up that you remove will be different.

WITHOUT FACTORY BOOST SOLENOID-
Your car will be set up very simply from the factory. There will be a vacuum line that goes from the wastegate to the turbo housing most likely, that's it. You are going to remove this line in order to install your EVC.

WITH FACTORY BOOST SOLENOID-
Your car is slightly more complicated. You will also have this line on your car but this line may actually get routed through an electronic solenoid along the way. You will also remove these vacuum lines. There is also a chance that this line may not be routed through a solenoid but you may have two lines coming off of your wastegate. The second line will be routed through a vacuum solenoid. If this is the case than you have to remove this line from the wastegate to the solenoid and you have to put a vacuum cap on both sides because we are going to eliminate it.

NOW THAT THE LINES REMOVED YOU ARE READY TO INSTALL THE EVC-
Back to the three nipples.

We will start with the smallest one on the right side. This one is very easy. You install this directly to an intake manifold source after the throttle body. The EVC comes with a vacuum tee. You can use this tee to use an existing vacuum line such as the vacuum line that goes to your fuel pressure regulator. There is also a small white vacuum filter in there that you want top install in that line. This filter will prevent oil from contaminating the EVC stepper motor.

The larger nipple all the way to the left goes to the wastgate actuator. All you have to do is run a vacuum line from the nipple on the left to the nipple on the wastegate actuator, now that one's done. The nipple in the middle goes to the nipple on the car that the wastegate actuator used to go to. Run the vacuum line from the middle nipple on the EVC to the original nipple that the wastegate went to on the car. Again, on this middle nipple you need to install the larger vacuum filter to prevent the wastegate stepper motor from getting contaminated with oil. The vacuum line that goes to the wastegate does not need a vacuum filter because it is not a pressurized source from the engine so there will not be any contaminants in that line.

THIS IS THE VACUUM ROUTING DONE!!!!!!!!!

Things you may want to purchase to make your EVC install go smoother. It never comes with enough vacuum line to do the job. The two sizes of vacuum line that come with an EVC are 6mm and 4mm and you will most likely need more. I recommend using vacuum line from Purosil, it is the best vacuum line for this job, nobody elses silicone comes close. It is only available in blue but they do have the two sizes you need. It is expensive, the 4mm line is $2.25/foot and the 6mm line is $2.50/foot. If you need any, we have it here. Another thing you need to think about is the size that you need. The EVC size is set at 6mm and 4mm but your car is most likely all 4mm so the 6mm vacuum line will be too big for your wastegate and compressor housing. You will need to use an adapter to go from 6mm to 4mm and you will need two of those. You will want to get adapter made from brass not plastic. I can supply those to you as well.

Now, you most likely have a twin turbo car so you are going to have to T the lines to go to both wastegates and both charge pipes so don't forget to order enough lines and the T-fittings to run them to both turbos, I would suggest using metal T-fittings because the plastic ones can melt if they are close to a very hot heat source. You do not have to worry about melting the silicone Purosil hose as it can handle very extreme temperature. You can run teh vacuum line within an inch of your exhaust manifold and it will not melt or get brittle like every other silicone line.