996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another Profec blown?! Time for something else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:55 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Exclamation Another Profec blown?! Time for something else?

Okay, this makes little sense. when I first got my car the Profec onboard was working great. Not long after it stopped working and I noticed the car felt a great deal weaker. Much head scratching and leak testing later I discovered it was the danged Profec II head unit refusing to fire the solenoid in back. Well Friday I went to the track and on my second pass saw MPH down a good 4MPH and suspected a boost issue. Heling out someone else get parts I was able to do a nice calm street pull and sure enough boost was down to like .7BAR - argh! I suspected a leak having seen more than that before on spring but I realized that was in cooler weather so... tested the Profec and again NO control over the solenoid in back. WTF?! I swapped the solenoid for another, nada.

I am testing by applying pressure to the head unit itself and when I did this previously it resulted in a great deal of clicking from the solenid in back - as expected. Now it's dead as a doornail

Now, I didn't install this sucker so I cannot comment on wiring but 2x dead in a year with this one having MAYBE 2K miles on it is pretty sad! I have to admit I'm seriously considering slapping a check ball MBC back there and calling it a day. I'd have to watch for cooler weather obviously but as little as I'm driving the car that wouldn't be too hard to do. But those things make me nervous and can hardly be tuned - what else works well for these cars? I'd actually prefer the ECU to run it but mine's not tuned that way and I'm not looking to change that up just yet.

Suggestions? These puppies are hard to find, or were, and not cheap. I would like something a bit more solid dang it!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:36 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
I like my Turbosmart E-boost

Old 04-04-2010, 05:13 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I used to have a HKS EVC 4. I moved it into 4 different vehicles and it worked awesome all the time. Never any issues. Kinda tricky to set up, but after that, ZERO issues and it never changed.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i hate the profec is sucks weiner !!! i want to get the new HKS !!! i would love to be able to dial in my boost at my desired boost level liek 1.2 or 1.4 without having to guess percentage...

Old 04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I have an HKS EVC VI at the moment and love it. I had Greedy for a little bit and could not stand it for the same reason Nick said!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:16 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I had an EARLY HKS that died an early death. Stepper motor vs solenoid means potentially greater control but more complexities inside the device in back and more cost I'd bet. Installation would no doubt be "fun" but I begin to ponder it. I may have some friends of mine take a look at one of these dead ones, see if they see anything obviously wrong. Has to be a driver circuit for the silly relay....

Hell the two relays I have could probably put a good chunk of change towards another brand I'll bet. <sigh>

Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned
Boost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant future
We use mostly Blitz Spec Rs and HKS EVC 6s with great success.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Boost Logic
The Blitz aren't a DIN size though right? Flat panel things? I don't want to crap up my interior if I can help it - the cup holder is goofy enough HKS I've been gun shy on for awhile but I know it's silly. I like their "fuzzy logic" deal and if I can set and forget I'd be pretty happy. Lemme' ponder on it, if you have a chance shoot me some prices. Frustrating to drive an hour+ to the track, pay $100, spend still more on race gas, and then leave near half my boost at home An MBC would be so much easier - and so much more dangerous and less responsive I think....

I appreciate the input!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned
Boost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
The Blitz aren't a DIN size though right? Flat panel things? I don't want to crap up my interior if I can help it - the cup holder is goofy enough HKS I've been gun shy on for awhile but I know it's silly. I like their "fuzzy logic" deal and if I can set and forget I'd be pretty happy. Lemme' ponder on it, if you have a chance shoot me some prices. Frustrating to drive an hour+ to the track, pay $100, spend still more on race gas, and then leave near half my boost at home An MBC would be so much easier - and so much more dangerous and less responsive I think....

I appreciate the input!
You can get the SBC-ID which is a DIN height unit and it has a nice display and optional color screen.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I'm on my third Profec in 14 months. Biggest pieces of **** out there i'll be going to an HKS soon enough.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:30 AM
H8rade is infamous around these partsH8rade is infamous around these parts
That's strange that you've had so many problems with Profecs. I had one on my Evo VIII for three years with no problems and then my 592whp Subaru STI had it for a couple years with no issues (the motor was another story though).

Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Greddy does not have internal protection for short curcuit of two pole cable driving the power solenoid...I blew my profec that way...You have to check very carefully this cable for contact...I replaced it with one with better shield and no problem from them...If short circuit happens,internal damage to greddy is done...

Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 PM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
What about the HKS EVC-S ??

Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boost Logic
on those units can you put in your actuall boost level like 1.2 bar and thats that ? or do you have to mess with percentages /gain like the profec ? cause i hate messing with the profec trying to get my right boost setting.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
on those units can you put in your actuall boost level like 1.2 bar and thats that ? or do you have to mess with percentages /gain like the profec ? cause i hate messing with the profec trying to get my right boost setting.
Preach on ........... what a royal pain in the ***.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Profec blown?! Time for something else?