996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

stock ride quality versus PSS/KW kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 AM
davman is infamous around these parts
stock ride quality versus PSS/KW kits

Been doing a lot of reading up about coilover kits. I am finding my stock 01 suspension feels floaty and harsh and needs to go. I was wondering if KW V3 kits and the like are harsher than stock. I will be only doing the odd track day and use on the street mostly and want more control at speed and less bouncy floaty road manners.

Cheers

Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
PSS 10's good for street, they handle better (less float) but are not any more harsh than stock. They are only so-so for the track. Be aware if you drop the car too much, you'll be looking at adjustable rear dog bones and toe steer links to get a decent street alignment.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
I'm in the same boat. After only a month with this car, the suspension drives me nuts. Upon hard acceleration the rear just squats causing the front end to start getting light. Cornering does not have that taut feel that my Boxster with ROW M030 setup did. It is sloppy and rolly. It seems like the front and rear of the car do not work well together. A lot of this is just learning to drive the car and adjusting to its characteristics but there is much room for improvement. I will be torn between the coilovers and another M030 package. I'm biased to the M030 because it worked so well on the track and street in my other car. Hopefully, I will get to drive in a few other cars with various setups before making up my mind.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Personally I'm a huge fan of the KW kits over the PSS kits. The reason being is the additional adjustability. With the Bilsteins you have control over height and rebound adjustment on the shocks. With the KW's, you can control height, compression, and rebound on the shocks. That gives you the ability to fine tune the ride quality that much more.

Either one is a drastic improvement over the stock suspension. It's just a matter of how much adjustability you'd like over the shocks.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
eds966tt is infamous around these parts
What is he cost for pss10 vs KW3? Is here rebound adjustment as well. The front of these cars tend to lift way to mch for track use. any thoughts?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 PM
NismoP10 is infamous around these parts
Arenthe adjustment ***** easily accessible on the KWs?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
really like my setup, JIC's 9.5f 12r on PS2 tires. Car feels planted

Old 04-08-2010, 03:29 AM
davman is infamous around these parts
I would like to keep the stock ride height. Not sure if we have lower ride height RoW than the US but I can only just get into my driveway the way it is. The should not not present an issue should it? I mean if the kits are height adjustable I assume you can leave the height as stock and still have a measurable improvement.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 AM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
Subscripe

Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 AM
nvno1 is infamous around these parts
I found my stock suspension to feel the way you described yours. I went with the kwv3 and got them from Tom at Rennsport who was awesome to deal with. I HATED the way the car looked/drove with the stock suspension. I couldn't be happier now with the kwv3s. I have the ride height set exactly where I want it which makes such a huge difference in the cars appearance. The ride is also far better. The ride is still stiff, but its not as harsh as stock. Stock it feels like you are hitting a curb when going over bumps. With the kws it feels like the curb is rounded off not square. The front end float is also gone which was my main issue. The front end float was making me insane! Overall it was money very well spent and I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
LOOKS GREAT!! I'm glad you're happy with them!

As for adjustment, it's relatively easy on the KW's. The rebound adjustment is made at the top of the shocks, and the compression is made at the very bottom.

But, once you have them set up, you really wouldn't need to change them that often, unless you're attending a track event or something like that.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM
pwarnery is infamous around these parts
Ride height

Can any of the vendors on the board confirm that the USA ride height can be maintained on the 996 T with KW3 coil overs installed. This seems to be a question asked by a number of us, but I can't seem to find an answer to it. Don't want to spend $4k to find out that the car rides to low to clear driveways speed bumps and such.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
[QUOTE=nvno1;2796319]I found my stock suspension to feel the way you described yours. I went with the kwv3 and got them from Tom at Rennsport who was awesome to deal with. I HATED the way the car looked/drove with the stock suspension. I couldn't be happier now with the kwv3s. I have the ride height set exactly where I want it which makes such a huge difference in the cars appearance. The ride is also far better. The ride is still stiff, but its not as harsh as stock. Stock it feels like you are hitting a curb when going over bumps. With the kws it feels like the curb is rounded off not square. The front end float is also gone which was my main issue. The front end float was making me insane! Overall it was money very well spent and I wouldn't change a thing.

Looks great! Did you install anything other than the coilovers and droplinks?

Is the car set to GT2 alignment and height specs?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pwarnery
Can any of the vendors on the board confirm that the USA ride height can be maintained on the 996 T with KW3 coil overs installed. This seems to be a question asked by a number of us, but I can't seem to find an answer to it. Don't want to spend $4k to find out that the car rides to low to clear driveways speed bumps and such.
I have the full spec list for both the bilsteins and KW's which list minimum and maximum ride heights back at the office.

I'll post them up first thing in the morning for ya.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nvno1
I found my stock suspension to feel the way you described yours. I went with the kwv3 and got them from Tom at Rennsport who was awesome to deal with. I HATED the way the car looked/drove with the stock suspension. I couldn't be happier now with the kwv3s. I have the ride height set exactly where I want it which makes such a huge difference in the cars appearance. The ride is also far better. The ride is still stiff, but its not as harsh as stock. Stock it feels like you are hitting a curb when going over bumps. With the kws it feels like the curb is rounded off not square. The front end float is also gone which was my main issue. The front end float was making me insane! Overall it was money very well spent and I wouldn't change a thing.
Are you saying that you get a smoother ride with coils than you did with the stock setup? I thought that it had to get rougher in order to improve the handling.

P.S. How can you hang a Corvette poster so close to that beautiful Turbo? I love your wheels, by the way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: stock ride quality versus PSS/KW kits