996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is anyone running K24/18Gs WITHOUT exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Is anyone running K24/18Gs WITHOUT exhaust?

My car makes enough noise, so I'd rather not touch the exhaust. (Maybe the cats are drilled, I don't know, because I hear everyone complain how quiet the Turbo exhausts are. It's an X50 Tip if that matters.) Anyway, is anyone running this setup? Thanks.
-Seth

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure it's stock? I had to do the TJW mod to my OEM muffler to hear it. It's still not loud enought. I have a stock X50 w/ a tip.
I thought the stock turbos on an X50 were K24/16Gs? If you have 18Gs I'm pretty sure they've been upgraded. Good for you!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Are you sure it's stock? I had to do the TJW mod to my OEM muffler to hear it. It's still not loud enought. I have a stock X50 w/ a tip.
I thought the stock turbos on an X50 were K24/16Gs? If you have 18Gs I'm pretty sure they've been upgraded. Good for you!
Stock Turbos on an X50 are just K24's non X50 car's before 05 had K16's I believe.

Edit: Seth clarified his current setup.

Last edited by bmoores; 04-09-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
I'm still running the stock K24s, but was thinking about doing the 18G upgrade. I guess I just want to make sure that the factory exhaust doesn't choke things up so much that the upgrade would only be good for 10HP. (I exaggerate) As far as the exhaust being stock, I'm still not 100% sure. I have an appointment to go see Tony@EPL for a flash, and he was going to throw the car on the lift and see what's going on with it.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
An exhaust can really wake the car up Seth especially with a turbo upgrade. It might be worth it to get a quieter but still free flowing exhaust along with the turbo upgrade so you do actually get the increase your looking for.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 AM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
ask Tony about my car. i have 18g's, but we dont know about my exhaust because it was on the car when i purchased it. he measured it and it is 60mm and most aftermarket systems are 70mm. the car runs great and makes 580awhp and 620lbs torque. im not planning on changing the system

Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
I'm still running the stock K24s, but was thinking about doing the 18G upgrade. I guess I just want to make sure that the factory exhaust doesn't choke things up so much that the upgrade would only be good for 10HP. (I exaggerate) As far as the exhaust being stock, I'm still not 100% sure. I have an appointment to go see Tony@EPL for a flash, and he was going to throw the car on the lift and see what's going on with it.
I'm assuming you are the 2nd owner. If so the guy before you might have altered the stock muffler. Look up the tail pipe, if you see a hole cut into the bend of the pipe you have the TJW mod. Or like you said, maybe the cats are drilled out but that would throw a CEL and a flash is needed to take care of that.
I just know the K24/18Gs are an upgrade from the stock X50 turbos. If you do the upgrade I would recommend better DVs, a 5bar FPR, BMC filter, exhaust, and flash. Good luck w/ the mod and let me know what you find out w/ the muffler.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I would be very interested to know the penalty. I think we estimated 20-40whp lost if you stay with the stock exhaust, but that is just a guess. I was contemplating putting my stock exhaust back on to eliminate the dreaded drone of my FVD exhaust, but didn't want to sacrifice the hard found power...If your car is stock, my car would be a good comparison if you do it, Ask Tony.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
I'm running k24/18G, stock exhaust, no cats !
Very metallic sound at cold, can easily hear the turbos running but it has no drone and very very low noise at wot ... don't know how many whp could be lost with this configuration compared to aftermarket 70mm exhausts!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:09 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ThePunisher
I'm running k24/18G, stock exhaust, no cats !
Very metallic sound at cold, can easily hear the turbos running but it has no drone and very very low noise at wot ... don't know how many whp could be lost with this configuration compared to aftermarket 70mm exhausts!

Do you have any performance numbers to compare to? trap speed, 60-130 etc...mod list?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 AM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ttboost
Do you have any performance numbers to compare to? trap speed, 60-130 etc...mod list?
No, not yet ... i have swapped from K24 to K24/18 just one week ago, still experiencing that extra-power !!!
Mod list is: K24/18G with ported housings, 5 Bar FPR, Forge DV's, Blown6 coolers, Samco hoses, Denso Double platinum plugs, stock headers.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 AM
No, not yet ... i have swapped from K24 to K24/18 just one week ago, still experiencing that extra-power !!!
Mod list is: K24/18G with ported housings, 5 Bar FPR, Forge DV's, Blown6 coolers, Samco hoses, Denso Double platinum plugs, stock headers.

Perfect! I would be VERY interested in your numbers, as I have similar mods. I have 18g's, injectors, 5bar and Meth, no intercoolers or piping though...all stock. I usually run 6.0's-6.1's, but have managed a 5.99.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Did you port the stock headers? That was something I forgot to tell the other guy to do.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Did you port the stock headers? That was something I forgot to tell the other guy to do.
No, i forgot too !
But i don't think this can make really a big difference ... maybe just a very very little less lag !

Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Perfect! I would be VERY interested in your numbers, as I have similar mods. I have 18g's, injectors, 5bar and Meth, no intercoolers or piping though...all stock. I usually run 6.0's-6.1's, but have managed a 5.99.
I was thinking to use the "racechrono" software based on a good 5Htz Gps receiver to get some numbers !
How can you compare its precision to the V-box ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is anyone running K24/18Gs WITHOUT exhaust?