996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

High pitched whine on deceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
idget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
yes, pentosin issue. i had exactly the same. recommend gt2 slave conversion
I had planned on the gt2 slave conversion in the future. It may be in my near future now

Originally Posted by 2muchtime
My power steering made the same noises at low speeds, I was low on fliud, when I turned the steering wheel the noise got a little louder? FYI..
It definitely does not sound like a power steering issue, nor have I noticed the noise in relation to any steering issues (increase in noise with steering input at low speed, squeal at full lock, etc...).

Originally Posted by ard
Does the noise go away when you push the clutch in?

If so it is a valve in the pentosin reserve that vibrates and creates the noise whne hot- clutch releases the pressure and it goes off. This is a warning sign.

Needs replacing. Common fault, Porsche service bulletins on this
Yes, looking at my service records, it looks like the accumulator was replaced a couple years ago. I don't have the original invoice, but can likely track that down from the dealership where I bought it from (and where the previous 2 owners had it serviced).

Originally Posted by ard
Thank you much!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM
idget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud of
Don't you just hate it when the OP never posts a resolution

Well I finally got around to driving it today. I drove the car around, checked the pentosin level with car running and at operating temp, then added pentosin to the high line.

Took the car back out and it continues to make the same noise, although less frequently.

I'll be calling my dealership this week to see if the TSB is covered under CPO warranty, although most of my searches show it might not be

Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Good luck.

Do you have an indy you will use if it is not covered? I'd stress to the dealer that the only way he is getting the job is if it is a CPO covered repair. Not right in your face but "I was hoping it would be covered, but if not my indy can do it". Even if you don't have options, acting like you do can help....

A

Old 04-25-2010, 11:34 PM
harkerdude is infamous around these partsharkerdude is infamous around these parts
wow, I was about to ask the same question.

Glad that it's something simple.

wait, it's not simple. Let us know what the dealer recommends idget.

Last edited by harkerdude; 04-25-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: ask more
Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Does any1 having this problem have a car w/ a Tip or are they all Standards?

I have the same problem on a Tip.

SO far I've tear into the front diff and the rear diff only to find worn bearings but no cure.

I'm tearing into the transfer case next...

Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Reviving and old thread since my car does the same thing and has for some time. I replaced the slave and accumulator this spring and if I recall it was makinng the noise before then and still does now. Not always, just sometimes. I only hear it on when slowing down and below 2000 rpm's with the gear engaged. When I depress the clutch it stops. The noise sounds a bit like a stuck brake pad or a piece of debris stuck between the pad and rotor. It isn't loud and isn't too high pitched. If it's there at higher rpm's I can't hear it.

I've seen this brought up in a few threads but haven't run accross a definitive diagnosis. Most threads just kind of die like this one. To the OP, what was your resolution?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by deckman
Reviving and old thread since my car does the same thing and has for some time. I replaced the slave and accumulator this spring and if I recall it was makinng the noise before then and still does now. Not always, just sometimes. I only hear it on when slowing down and below 2000 rpm's with the gear engaged. When I depress the clutch it stops. The noise sounds a bit like a stuck brake pad or a piece of debris stuck between the pad and rotor. It isn't loud and isn't too high pitched. If it's there at higher rpm's I can't hear it.

I've seen this brought up in a few threads but haven't run accross a definitive diagnosis. Most threads just kind of die like this one. To the OP, what was your resolution?
I'm glad I have email notifications on, otherwise I would have never seen this!

Refilled pentosin and no change. Removed and refilled the pentosin and still no change. It hasn't gotten any worse but the noise is still there.

Unfortunately, I've only had the occasion to drive it a few times over the last year and I've been procrastinating on getting it fixed. That said, I called a local dealership again this past week and it sounds like they are going to try the TSB later this week. I'll report back once I get the car back.

Last edited by idget; 10-01-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:32 AM
ard
Originally Posted by deckman

It is the power steering reservoir... it is not a "power steering issue', but rather the valve of the reservoir that is restricted and causes this high pitched noise...push the clutch in and it releases the hydraulic pressure.

Do people not search and look at links?!?!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Of course I searched. How do you think I found this thread?

I'm not convinced that's it. If I remember correctly the high pitched noise associated with the PS check valve occurs at all speeds and can be heard beyond low speeds. I've read many threads on that subject and the descriptions don't match up with my car like this thread does.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:48 PM
FLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the rough
Mine had the same thing. Covered under CPO two weeks after I bought the car a couple of years ago.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:06 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
If the whine goes away when you depress the clutch, it's the PS reservoir. There's a TSB (not a recall) to replace with a 997 part number.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:25 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by idget
I'll check again tomorrow and report back.

Thank you for potentially saving me a trip to the dealership, Markski!
I believe Marek is talking about the pentosin reservoir in the engine compartment and not the one in trunk. Your picture was showing the trunk.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 930slantnose
i also have a high pitch sound when under 10 miles an hour then as i go faster it gets lower and lower at the 150 mark i hear nothing can anyone help or should i just go faster and ignore the sound
thx in advanve
Go faster..

Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I believe Marek is talking about the pentosin reservoir in the engine compartment and not the one in trunk. Your picture was showing the trunk.
I walked around to the front of the car for better lighting... not that it helped the awful photo .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High pitched whine on deceleration