996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

High pitched whine on deceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM
idget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud of
High pitched whine on deceleration

First off, thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for any insight!

Second, I know it is hard to diagnose noises over the internet, but any opinions on what it might be, suggestions on what to check, pointers on how to further diagnose the noise, etc... are greatly appreciated!

My car is an 03 turbo with 5xxxx miles on in. It is bone stock mechanically and never modified according to service history from the previous 2 owners.

Fortunately, it is covered under CPO, but I won't have a chance to bring it in until next weekend at the earliest. I was hoping to gain some insight before then.

The issue: Under deceleration in 1st and 2nd gear there is a faint, high pitched whining noise. It is possible that the noise exists in other gears, but it is hard to hear over the road noise. I can only hear the whine when in gear and decelerating between 2200ish rpm and 1400ish rpm. If I let the motor wind down lower (still in gear), it seems to get more faint. The noise goes away if I push in the clutch.

Description of the sound: As mentioned, the whine is very faint and high pitched. It almost sounds like an electrical whine, but there is definitely a metallic (not grinding or scraping, perhaps almost squeeling) quality to the noise.

It doesn't sound like the typical chirping sound that a failing throw out bearing makes. The noise sounds like it might be coming from the front of the car (although this too is hard to pinpoint). So perhaps the front differential?

What (little) I've done to diagnose the issue: I did search a few threads concerning the front diff, and some folks mentioned a faint high pitched whine. I tried to take some video, but the whine is drown out by road noise

It does not sound like a wheel bearing, but I jacked up both ends and checked for slop on all corners. It all seemed fine to me.

The first time it happened (not long ago) it was very faint and not repeatable. I checked the calipers and pads for any pebbles or sticking at that time. I didn't notice anything. Since then, it happens almost constantly when coming to a slow stop while engine braking in gear between the mentioned rpm range.

Any ideas?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Its your Pentosin reservoir... next to AC.... its probably low.... there is a recall on the actual unit....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Probably what Markski said

Mine was due to a bad clutch accumulator (also a common, but cheap to fix issue)

Old 04-13-2010, 09:06 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Another possibility is leaking front diff. Once it gets low on fluid it will make metallic screeching noises at low speeds.

Edit: I see you already thought of it. You can see fluid on floor if it is really leaking.

Last edited by MBailey; 04-13-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
idget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud of
Thanks for the quick replies!

The motor is still warm (got done driving it half an hour ago), so I ran out to the garage and checked the pentosin level. It is currently at the low mark, and halfway to the high mark... if I'm reading it correctly. Here's a crappy pic showing the side marked high and max:

Name:  CIMG2583.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  111.1 KB

MBailey, if there a dipstick for the front diff? I may have completely missed it, but I couldn't find where to check the level.

thanks again!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
you have to have the car running and warmed up... then check the dipstick...
should be on the HOt high level....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I'll check again tomorrow and report back.

Thank you for potentially saving me a trip to the dealership, Markski!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
weoco is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know why my car make high pitch noises when I get my car up to about 120mph?

Does it have to do with the moldings or exterior parts?
I just found out after my car was flashed. Please help.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
idget, the symptoms you describe are actually what is going on with my car so I hope you report back with positive news.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:19 AM
derMaximilian is infamous around these parts
I've got the exact same "problem" (it's not so much of a problem as it's neither really loud nor sounds dangerous )...

Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Does any1 having this problem have a car w/ a Tip or are they all Standards?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
yes, pentosin issue. i had exactly the same. recommend gt2 slave conversion

Old 04-14-2010, 07:20 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
My power steering made the same noises at low speeds, I was low on fliud, when I turned the steering wheel the noise got a little louder? FYI..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Does the noise go away when you push the clutch in?

If so it is a valve in the pentosin reserve that vibrates and creates the noise whne hot- clutch releases the pressure and it goes off. This is a warning sign.

Needs replacing. Common fault, Porsche service bulletins on this

Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
OP states and the same for me, the noise stops when the clutch is depressed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High pitched whine on deceleration