996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Some disturbing news.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Something tells me that maybe the rumors of flat 8 power are not far off, something to do with the large bore flat six not meeting future emissions standards. Because they did not build much headroom in these A91 engine it seems that maybe they are just a stop gap? If 4.0 is about the biggest the production engines can go than they don't have much more in them.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
What if Porsche dumps the old block, and just uses Ruf's new 8?

Last edited by bbywu; 04-16-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Its a V8, which Ruf does not tell the origin of. Some think its Cayenne V8 based. It fits rather well and apparently its weight is very close to that of the TT Flat 6.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 PM
dtakenname is infamous around these parts
By the way,
If the cylinders of the new DFI engines are welded to the crank case, how is it possible to rebuild these motors, or I am missing something?
Many Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Its a V8, which Ruf does not tell the origin of. Some think its Cayenne V8 based. It fits rather well and apparently its weight is very close to that of the TT Flat 6.
Corrected.

Not based on any current Porsche engine design.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/geneva/2010/1003_ruf_rgt_8/index.html

I think I'll take this baby over any Porsche DFI engine...8,500RPM redline and a flat-plane crank. Can't wait to hear this thing.

• The crankshaft is a 180-degree flat-plane design for optimal flow characteristics and a "nervous" racing engine note.
  • Connecting rods are titanium.
  • The valvetrain is arranged spherically around the combustion chamber.
  • Maximum speed is 8500 rpm.
  • The block incorporates all coolant and lubrication passages.
  • All ancillary accessories are driven directly by the crank or camshaft, so there are no belts, and most are mounted at the bottom of the engine to lower the center of gravity.
  • Lubrication is dry-sump, with five suction pumps and one pressure pump driven off a common internal driveshaft. There are two windage trays in each gallery, and the oil tank is filled through an opening in the right rear fender as was the case on the 1972 dry-sump 911 RS.
  • The V-8 package is the same height as the boxer, and just 0.8 inch longer. With a different transmission, it could be lowered 2.4 inches in the car.
  • Total dressed engine weight is 88 pounds less than the 3.8L boxer six and is considerably more rigid than the boxer engine, which reduces friction.
  • The engine meets current U.S. EPA and Euro V emissions standards.
  • 542 SAE horsepower at 8500 rpm
  • 369 lb-ft at 5400 rpm

Last edited by bbywu; 04-16-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Corrected.

Not based on any current Porsche engine design.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...t_8/index.html

I think I'll take this baby over any Porsche DFI engine...8,500RPM redline and a flat-plane crank. Can't wait to hear this thing.

• The crankshaft is a 180-degree flat-plane design for optimal flow characteristics and a "nervous" racing engine note.
  • Connecting rods are titanium.
  • The valvetrain is arranged spherically around the combustion chamber.
  • Maximum speed is 8500 rpm.
  • The block incorporates all coolant and lubrication passages.
  • All ancillary accessories are driven directly by the crank or camshaft, so there are no belts, and most are mounted at the bottom of the engine to lower the center of gravity.
  • Lubrication is dry-sump, with five suction pumps and one pressure pump driven off a common internal driveshaft. There are two windage trays in each gallery, and the oil tank is filled through an opening in the right rear fender as was the case on the 1972 dry-sump 911 RS.
  • The V-8 package is the same height as the boxer, and just 0.8 inch longer. With a different transmission, it could be lowered 2.4 inches in the car.
  • Total dressed engine weight is 88 pounds less than the 3.8L boxer six and is considerably more rigid than the boxer engine, which reduces friction.
  • The engine meets current U.S. EPA and Euro V emissions standards.
  • 542 SAE horsepower at 8500 rpm
  • 369 lb-ft at 5400 rpm

yeah, I saw this video last night and could not believe it. I think Ruf has something with this, but the price of $300k+ puts it at a level well beyond what a 911 body should command IMO. I think if Ruf was going to go this way, they should have rehashed the late 90's street legal GT1 body panels and given the car a true exotic look. The engine seems like a piece of art. No accessory drive belts is a great idea.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I didn't think it was Cayenne based, but that was the rumor that was out there. I wonder what the motor is based on, I find it hard to believe that they used a 100% bespoke block casting and built an engine not based on anyones dimensions or bore centers.

A flat 8 would seem like a logical next step to replace the boxer 6.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by germeezy1
I didn't think it was Cayenne based, but that was the rumor that was out there. I wonder what the motor is based on, I find it hard to believe that they used a 100% bespoke block casting and built an engine not based on anyones dimensions or bore centers.

A flat 8 would seem like a logical next step to replace the boxer 6.
I have a feeling Ruf knows that Porsche is leaving the GT1 engines behind and availability will be limited. Rather than use the Porsche's DFI engine, they've created their own monster.

BTW...when I said "corrected" I meant I corrected my post error...you were correct...I said flat 8 instead of V8 by mistake.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I have a feeling Ruf knows that Porsche is leaving the GT1 engines behind and availability will be limited. Rather than use the Porsche's DFI engine, they've created their own monster.

BTW...when I said "corrected" I meant I corrected my post error...you were correct...I said flat 8 instead of V8 by mistake.

Maybe they got the CGT V10 and cut two cylinders off it.

Maybe they based theirs off of this RSspyder V8 and did a bore stroke job to get to 4.5L .

Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Even with Mclaren's bespoke 3.8 V8 they used the block and bore centers from an existing engine and engineered it for their purposes with Ricardo's help. Its just far too expensive to develop a completely bespoke block and casting for such a limited production car that is technically not a production car. So this engine has to be based off of something, I just wonder which engine it is based off.