996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Some disturbing news.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Some disturbing news.

I was checking on some information regarding the 997tt TB and weather or not it would fit on the 996tt.

I was told much to my chagrin .... no. The new 2010 motor was referred to as a Japanese motor. I was told the motor is different and Porsche does not use the motor on the GT3's or their race motors.

Anyone heard about this?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
The new turbo engine is basically the turbo-charged version of the DI, 3.8L engine you get on a carrera S. So, yes it is very different from the classical split design of the 3.6l engine. It is also lighter and much less complex.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Chad, that means the 996 & 997.1 are keepers.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by topgun
Chad, that means the 996 & 997.1 are keepers.
I think this indeed remains to be seen, as the last year's, 3.6l TT cars are being sold at a discount while the new 3.8l cars are at a premium. If the new engine shows itself reliable with none of the usual problems e.g. RMS leaks, I don't see why it would be more valuable than the 3.6l.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:22 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Are they still dry sump engines?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
The new 2010 3.8 liter TT motor w/ PDK is by far the fastest accelerating car ever made by Porsche. However the word is that the motor, while much faster out of the box is not nearly as upgradable.

The Metzger GT1 motors were racing motors that were mass produced. The new 3.8 while a phenomenal motor was designed for mass production from day 1.

My goal is to someday have both my GT1 based GT2 in my garage and the new 997.2 PDK as a daily driver. It is a phenomenal car.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I'll be keeping my car. I'll just get another car for an additional driver. I want to do this 3 or 4 times.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Look what happened to the 993 prices when the 996 came out. I think the 996TT & 997.1TT in the long run will hold up better resale wise than a 997.2TT. Only time will tell.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Look what happened to the 993 prices when the 996 came out. I think the 996TT & 997.1TT in the long run will hold up better resale wise than a 997.2TT. Only time will tell.
Maybe I'm off, but from what I have seen the 993TT has a much better resale value history than the 996TT. Right now many are priced higher than 996TT's in similar condition/miles.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PeterK
I think this indeed remains to be seen, as the last year's, 3.6l TT cars are being sold at a discount while the new 3.8l cars are at a premium. If the new engine shows itself reliable with none of the usual problems e.g. RMS leaks, I don't see why it would be more valuable than the 3.6l.

I agree, I don't really care if it was referred to as a Japanese engine as there are some very good engines that come out of Japan. Making a solid motor for FI is not that difficult. If this motor were in the GT3, it would be time to worry. But I'm not at all concerned about the new motor.

EXCEPT, possibly trying to mod to 700+ whp without going internal. But if it gets close enough to the Mertzger, it's a success because it's way lighter, less moving parts etc.

I'm siding with the fact that it's a Porsche Motor in one of the cars that's at the top of the Porsche food chain. That's enough to me to think that they would overbuild it like they do everything else with the GT2,GT3 Turbo.

Time will tell, but there will be little to no interchangeability in terms of parts.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Maybe I'm off, but from what I have seen the 993TT has a much better resale value history than the 996TT. Right now many are priced higher than 996TT's in similar condition/miles.
I think this is a reflection of very low production numbers for the 993TT

Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
I sure as hell don't trust it until they stick it in a GT3-R and race it at Le Mans and do well with it.
Agree 100%.

Unless they put it on a GT3/cup/rsr or GT2 I'm not gonna trust it....

Porsche likes going cheap too much nowadays..Just look at the 996 and 997 N/A engines' reliability...

And I know that even 997 mk2's are having troubles too.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Agree 100%.

Unless they put it on a GT3/cup/rsr or GT2 I'm not gonna trust it....

Porsche likes going cheap too much nowadays..Just look at the 996 and 997 N/A engines' reliability...

And I know that even 997 mk2's are having troubles too.
The fact Porsche is not using this motor on the GT3 or the race motors tells me all I want to know.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
The fact Porsche is not using this motor on the GT3 or the race motors tells me all I want to know.

pretty much right on. If they don't trust it in the race application, then it can't be much good for high power. Heck, look at all the issues the NA cars have with their all watercooled engines. I have seen 2 replacement engines locally provided to a boxster and a carrera, and the originals were not that many miles.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Prche951
pretty much right on. If they don't trust it in the race application, then it can't be much good for high power. Heck, look at all the issues the NA cars have with their all watercooled engines. I have seen 2 replacement engines locally provided to a boxster and a carrera, and the originals were not that many miles.
same here heard of 2 997tt mk2's low miles, bone stock, had engines replaced under warranty. i had just assumed it was maintenance related ie not topping up oil etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some disturbing news.