996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A big step down the slippery slope

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:19 AM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
Talking A big step down the slippery slope

I've had a lightly modded car for a couple years, and have always had the itch to do a little more. Al Norton posted some of his upgrades in the for sale section and I couldn't resist the 3071 turbos, so I bought them. He also had a fuel pump, a larger air box and Fabspeed headers, so I bought them as well. Now I need to compliment this new stuff with several must haves, should haves and could haves. I'd like your opinion about what falls in these catagories. All I've done to the car, engine-wise, up to now is a Europipe Stage 1 Quiet exhaust, Forge DVs and a Softronic Flash.
5 bar FPR - obviously a must have
Fuel Injectors - must, should or could?
Inlet piping - ?
Intercoolers - ? Brand recomendations?
Reflash after everything is installed - obviously
Anything else I'm overlooking?
I know the question's going to come up, "what are you trying to achieve?" so here's my answer. I track the car about six times a year. I'm PCA yellow - fair driver, not great. I've been to the 1/4 mile once and plan to go back. I've done a 9.1 60-130 and am dying to improve that number. Otherwise - the slope is very slippery.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:07 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
You are going to need a fair amount of supporting mods for those turbos, but before you buy anything contact your tuner. There are lots of ways to do your upgrade, for example some tuners run a 3.8 FPR with larger injectors and dual fuel pumps, some don't. I have a second 044 pump 3.8 fpr and 58# injectors.

What are you using for boost control? Some tuners love ebc's some hate them.

I would look at the system as a whole and get a parts list from your tuner, everything from colder plugs (if necessary) to gaskets to oil/water lines for those turbos ect. Then if you want post the list here for comments!

Tom

Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
I realy wish i could have afforded to take the turbos and other parts off of Al aong with the coolers and pipework i got ,sounds like your going to end up with a well speced car .

Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by waymegelli
I've had a lightly modded car for a couple years, and have always had the itch to do a little more. Al Norton posted some of his upgrades in the for sale section and I couldn't resist the 3071 turbos, so I bought them. He also had a fuel pump, a larger air box and Fabspeed headers, so I bought them as well. Now I need to compliment this new stuff with several must haves, should haves and could haves. I'd like your opinion about what falls in these catagories. All I've done to the car, engine-wise, up to now is a Europipe Stage 1 Quiet exhaust, Forge DVs and a Softronic Flash.
Inlet piping - ?
I know the question's going to come up, "what are you trying to achieve?" so here's my answer. I track the car about six times a year. I'm PCA yellow - fair driver, not great. I've been to the 1/4 mile once and plan to go back. I've done a 9.1 60-130 and am dying to improve that number. Otherwise - the slope is very slippery.
I have from EPL same turbos; EPL Tune, Alpha's 3071's water cooled, 5 bar, 72lb injectors, HSF -6 water/meth, DV, changed exhaust to EP ST 2 Qt, just added USP's intercoolers & Eibach sway bars, adding John's (Speedtech) Brockway R 1000. I changed back to my stock air box (had EVO) blew to many MAF's, so far so good. Definitely after driving lately need to upgrade all piping, then I'm done!!
Overall car pulls very strong all the way to top, had it at PCA in March before IC's, very quick out of the turns, need to get use to the power band.

Last edited by 2muchtime; 04-16-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 AM
GT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to behold
Depending on horsepower an upgraded clutch, lightweight flywheel is a nice addition and some suspension mods. I like my KW v3 coilovers. You may want to upgrade brakes with some better pads, stainless lines, etc...
Sway bars are nice too, oh boy it keeps going and going and going....

Old 04-16-2010, 09:08 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by waymegelli
Inlet piping - ?
Congrats Wayne!! Glad to see you really have the bug now!!

I think injectors, ICs, and a flash are musts. As I remember your car is a tip so you will probably need some work there. I would think at least a torque converter. As far as brands of ICs there are alot of good ones. If I was in your position I might look at the TPG, Proto, or Markski's units. The EVOMS ones have been great for me.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:09 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
How could I forget? Clutchmaster Stage 3 clutch for the power, holds great!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Talk to Markski@911 tunning i got from him K24/18g's ,5 bar FPR and a program from Protomotive and all worked excellent,so i am getting now IC's,boost presure regulator,external WG's , K24 billet turbos,injectors
intakes,pipes and new program.
You'll be very happy with what you need and he is very conscious about your WALLET.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Patrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant future
Follow my thread "just bought an '01 tt" and you'll see how bad this can get!!!

John

Old 04-16-2010, 02:44 PM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
GT700 - I've already done a lot of suspension work - PSS10s, GT3 rear sway, AP, drop links and upper and lower rear adjustable arms. Inside I've got a GMG roll bar, 6 point schroth harness and GT3 seats.

Patrnflyr - I know how bad it can get - I've been trying to avoid this but I can't.

MBailey - You're right, it's a tip. Will I be making so much power that the stock tranny won't handle it? Crap! This really is going to cost me a fotune for a great deal on turbos! Haha

Thanks to all of you for the input. I think I'll reach out to Softronic and get their input before going any further.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Since you track your car I would consider going with a larger IC like a 4.5 inch. I bought my 4.5 inch IC from Markski. Give him a call, I think he can even do 6 inch IC but that may really be overkill in your situation.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
So you picked up actual garrett 3071s or Tial direct replacement turbos... if you have actual gt3071s then your in for big surprise... not only do you need custom headers, oil lines, water lines, but also custom cnc fab work to the catch can as well as a some sort of backpalte to hold the turbo tot he hanging bracket... etc etc... not to mention the pain in the AAsss it is to bend the return breather catch can return line meanwhile the waterlines are next to it...
you might even have to reflange the coldside housing to fit some sort of intercooler piping..
here is what I do just to fit a garrett turbo... its a lot of work but possible...
good luck,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
yup if they are not the alphas, your in trouble .

Last edited by unvmy996; 04-16-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
hey wayne so are they direct bolt on or are you going to have to get this stuff fabricated? i should have my car back this weekend .... we definitely need to get together and i want you to try the spi L2 and see what you think?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
They are direct.... I saw pics.. they look like old generation gt28/K16...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A big step down the slippery slope