996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
GIAC Questions

I have the GIAC version 4 can flash loader and I have a couple questions. The car was built at EVO Motorsports a couple years ago.

1. If you load the stock map into the ECU do you also have to change the boost with the MT01 button or should the stock map adjust the boost to stock level?

2. The GIAC user manual states the MT01 setting changes the boost to 150, MT02 to 210, MT03 to 255.

Do these number represent 15.0 PSI, 21.0 PSI and 25.5 PSI?

Thanks in advance!

Jason.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Let us know more about your car.

I doubt that the standard flash for K16 turbos (1.0 bar) and K24 turbos (1.2 bar) for a mostkly stock car will allow that much boost.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
2002 GT2 with Evo GT700 kit installed. My friend has the same kit on a 996TT and we were getting 22 psi on pump gas. I though that was a little high for 94 octane but I'm new to these cars.

I just checked and the MT01 boost function is not enabled on the controller so I guess I would have to get the controller/ECU set up for that option?

Any thoughts?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racin Jason
2002 GT2 with Evo GT700 kit installed. My friend has the same kit on a 996TT and we were getting 22 psi on pump gas. I though that was a little high for 94 octane but I'm new to these cars.

I just checked and the MT01 boost function is not enabled on the controller so I guess I would have to get the controller/ECU set up for that option?

Any thoughts?

1.5bar is considered high is some circles on pump. If you are tuned for it, you should be fine. If you are not, don't boost it until you fix it!!! This is a good question for your tuner.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Your best bet is to call EVO or GIAC. I believe that kit does run 1.4-1.5 bar on pump with the old K16 based turbos. The newer turbos flow much better and usually get set at 1.2-1.3 bar on pump.

Be sure to relay the fact that pump for you is 94 octane is "pump". This is significantly better than pump for most of us.

You've got a nice car with a nice package on it. I'd spend a little time and money making sure it's setup and running properly. No reason to blow your motor.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 04-19-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks Ari,

I will give Rod at Evo a call tomorrow. I babied the car on the way home and just rolled into the throttle on the freeway to check the boost level. I saw 20psi and backed off right away. I was still on race mode with a tank full of 100 octane that Joe hooked me up with!

Then I kicked the pump gas map in and still saw 20psi. The AFR still reads fat and safe but I need to pull some power out of the car so I don't loop it while getting used to the hp.

The turbos have 1 bar wastegate springs in them so I suspect there is a factory boost controller(air bleed) in the boost line somewhere. If I disconnect the factory boost controller I suspect I will be running on the wastegate spring and I will have 1 bar of boost.

Worth a call to EVO to make sure

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 AM
I would also assume that the previous owner knows a lot about the car. Have you asked him?