996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oh crap, it's time!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I'm not sure what you were getting out of my post...

I don't personally feel that the 996turbo is on par with the GT-R. I realize that was the standard, but it has been surpassed, and we've all moved on - including Porsche. With the new PDK (with all of the 'nannies') is proving to be a better performing car (based on information I've read/seen). I think the 997tt would've been a great comparo to the GT-R.

As you've pointed out, the 996 is aging. It is not the current car that Porsche offers. Why not go against the latest vs latest?

But still - my point was - this is driver vs driver, not car vs car.

*edit: What is the estimated WHP of the 911? (which is almost irrelevant when it comes to handling courses)
So you are saying that the forums wars should have turned Enrique down so they could meet your criteria.

Kind of like Best Motoring, and whichever other magazine put the modded GT-R vs the 996 TT in Europe? They'll take what they can get.

If the GT-R is so far and beyond a 996 Turbo, a few insignificant mods should not be that big of a deal now should it? How many posts on Nagtroc when a stock GT-R loses to a GT2, ACR, ZR-1 etc. say, "I bet it would win with COBB AP.

If you think hp is irrelevant, go drive a miata...........

If you look around, you'll see that there is significant evidence and a very good argument given that the 996 TT could very well beat the 997 (997.1) TT with the same hp around most circuits.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Nice!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Shinkaze has a spectacular aura aboutShinkaze has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eclou
Welcome to 6speed Adam! I recall some of your posts from the early Nagtroc days and seem to remember you as one of the pioneers there. I find it quite disappointing how the NT guys have turned on you. I hope you stick around here as I think you will actually find more camaraderie here.
Nah, no bad blood with the NAGTROC guys,
I deserved a little jerking around for not driving better ;-)

It's not much of a consolation that a Mustang beat both mine and Enirque's time. Tight "autocross-ish" tracks really punish those a bit out of practice, such as myself. (ran the cones a bit in college a long time ago).

Thanks for the welcome.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Adam,

What do you think about my idea of doing some heads up roll on racing in Goliad (where they hold the Tx Mile).

It would go from the 1/4 mile mark to the 3/4 mile mark, from 40 mph to 160?

They only limit would be that the cars must have a stock block, bolt on mods only.
A Roll on with the worse race for a GT-R. As an owner of a GT-R I can say that decent QTR mile times are the byproduct of Nissan's design philosophy with the car, not it's goal, and that shows in the QTR ET. Do a roll on and the GT-R looses the only advantage it has (traction).

Spending fair amount of time in both P-Cars and GT-R's the GT-R's primary asset over the Porsche is high speed stability, and the ability to get into the gas far sooner (due to a better sorted AWD system, wider longer track and more mechanical grip). On straight away roll ons, the GT-R can't get past the fact the 911 is lighter with similar or more power.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
I actually started liking the GTR. It has grown on me, but the attitude I saw over at Nagtroc is enough for me not to have one, in addition to the trans. I like Manual trannies even if they are slower than dual clutch trannies
Trust me, as a GT-R owner, we feel exactly the opposite

(flamed here, justified there). Everything is a matter of perspective and it's hard to imagine "real people" on the other side of the keyboard when you're just reading a forum.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Trust me, as a GT-R owner, we feel exactly the opposite

(flamed here, justified there). Everything is a matter of perspective and it's hard to imagine "real people" on the other side of the keyboard when you're just reading a forum.

Very true. The three GTR owners I have met seemed very nice.
The fact is the GTR is a cool car. But if these jokers don't realize what it is the Turbo represents then they need a lesson in racing history. And I am not talking Drag Racing history.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shinkaze
A Roll on with the worse race for a GT-R. As an owner of a GT-R I can say that decent QTR mile times are the byproduct of Nissan's design philosophy with the car, not it's goal, and that shows in the QTR ET. Do a roll on and the GT-R looses the only advantage it has (traction).

Spending fair amount of time in both P-Cars and GT-R's the GT-R's primary asset over the Porsche is high speed stability, and the ability to get into the gas far sooner (due to a better sorted AWD system, wider longer track and more mechanical grip). On straight away roll ons, the GT-R can't get past the fact the 911 is lighter with similar or more power.
You are absolutely correct, the GTR has a big advantage in the 1/4, and the Porsche has the advantage in a roll on.

However the car I will be running ran in the 9's and trapped 148, so I need every advantage possible.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
If you think hp is irrelevant, go drive a miata...........
Almost nothing else you said in your post made sense to me. I think we are discussing two different points.

I DO drive a Miata for auto-x's.

HP doesn't matter as much there.

I've gotten a better time from the Miata than my GT-R on the same course before (and the other way around - it depends on the cone setup).

Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Almost nothing else you said in your post made sense to me. I think we are discussing two different points.

I DO drive a Miata for auto-x's.

HP doesn't matter as much there.

I've gotten a better time from the Miata than my GT-R on the same course before (and the other way around - it depends on the cone setup).

Who said anything about an auto-x?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
so Sean throws down a roll-on challenge and everyone gets hard over there. I post a road course invite and the crickets are chirping.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
so Sean throws down a roll-on challenge and everyone gets hard over there. I post a road course invite and the crickets are chirping.
It is my all powerful "Anti-Charisma" Jean

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Who said anything about an auto-x?
Either you're purposely straying from the topic, or missing the point.

HP isn't everything. Will R-comps help cornering? 'Yes' or 'no' will do just fine.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Either you're purposely straying from the topic, or missing the point.

HP isn't everything. Will R-comps help cornering? 'Yes' or 'no' will do just fine.
First HP means nothing, now HP isnt's everything. Way to slowly backpedal out of that statement........

Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
First HP means nothing, now HP isnt's everything. Way to slowly backpedal out of that statement........
I wasn't back pedalling... I was rephrasing because I didn't realize I'd be quoted for literal definitions. I know you got my point.

However, you still didn't answer my question:

I'll repeat it (because rephrasing seems to confuse you):

Will R-comps help cornering? 'Yes' or 'no' will do just fine.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I wasn't back pedalling... I was rephrasing because I didn't realize I'd be quoted for literal definitions. I know you got my point.

However, you still didn't answer my question:

I'll repeat it (because rephrasing seems to confuse you):

Will R-comps help cornering? 'Yes' or 'no' will do just fine.
Stop trying to change the subject!!!

YOU said HP is irrelevant, that's a strong statement and absolutely untrue now matter how literal you take it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh crap, it's time!!