996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oh crap, it's time!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:55 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Nah, no bad blood with the NAGTROC guys,
I deserved a little jerking around for not driving better ;-)

It's not much of a consolation that a Mustang beat both mine and Enirque's time. Tight "autocross-ish" tracks really punish those a bit out of practice, such as myself. (ran the cones a bit in college a long time ago).

Thanks for the welcome.
You didn't get very much out of the car.

As for the 'Stang, he was running Hoosier's and that's really worth some time.

After watching the vid, reading all the msgs and your responses, all I can say is you have my respect as a real stand up guy. Thanks for Forum Wars. I enjoyed all of them...so far. Here's a for you.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Mike,
I actually had the opportunity to talk with the team developing the R888, and have a lot more respect for them and their product because of it. The reason they took so much time in getting the GT-R size R888 out was (by their own admission) it wasn't producing faster times than the Dunlops, and they didn't want to release a race tire that wasn't better than the OE offering. They had to go back to the drawing board a few times on the design and finally released something they felt was superior. The Toyo engineer I was working with was highly complimentary of the Dunlop product and said it really challenged them to make some significant changes which ultimately ended with a superior tire than they would have otherwise put out.

That same complimentary view of one's competitor is one reason I really admire the GT-R team, as they have always lauded praise on the 911, and cited that respect as why they chose it as their performance bogey. As a matter of fact my dearest Porsche friends are the ones that applaud Nissan, Chevy, Dodge and Ferrari forcing Porsche to raise the bar. Folks that do the opposite typically carry a lot of fear in their life, and aren't much fun to be around anyways. To be honest, and Enrique will tell you, I had a lot of fun getting my but whipped by him. It taught me that as much fun as I'm having, I can go far faster still with more training and tunning, and when I finally return the favor I'm sure he'll be happy for me as I was for him.

Fear keeps you from growing, delight in ones shortcomings is how you grow.
+1

I will say, it was difficult for our high horse power cars to extract the maximum out in a autocross. As our cars are not small nor design for an autocross. I have done 2 autocrosses in my life. And i just went to go drift and jerk around. SO i wouldn't really count them. The guy in the Mustang was a season pro in auto cross if i recall correctly. So we didn't do to bad Adam. Also the fact, that our race was among the last one, and the sun was setting so we had low heat on the tarmac. We also got shafted that we got less laps if i recall to practice then everyone else. Regardless. I think it was a great show. Alot of my friends said it was really nice show, and they are calling me a cheeseball . I have a lot of respect for you Adam. Your a stand up person. I will be honest, i was quiet scared id lose the autocross. As i heard how mightly the GTR is. So it waent like i was out taking a walk in the park. I was ****ting bricks

Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
GT-R when you don't need to impress a chick with your car to get laid
I don't know, I think a GTR is enough fame to it that it can be a chick magnet. I think it is more of a PC gamer magnet, so be careful who you pick up

case in point:

Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM
DHI
DHI is a jewel in the roughDHI is a jewel in the roughDHI is a jewel in the rough
That's HILARIOUS !!!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
This Porsche owner would gladly make room in his garage for a GTR. I would never trade my GT2 for one but would love to have its technological wizardry as an every other day driver and a track toy.

And I would not be ashamed of the fact that it would make a guy like my with only a handful of road course days look like a hero on the track.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
This Porsche owner would gladly make room in his garage for a GTR. I would never trade my GT2 for one but would love to have its technological wizardry as an every other day driver...
I agree 100%, Sean. I would never consider swapping my GT2 for a GTR, but I definitely am considering getting a GTR next year to park in my garage next to it (or a 2011 TT M5).

I personally think the GTR is an outstanding car.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
This Porsche owner would gladly make room in his garage for a GTR. I would never trade my GT2 for one but would love to have its technological wizardry as an every other day driver and a track toy.

And I would not be ashamed of the fact that it would make a guy like my with only a handful of road course days look like a hero on the track.
+1.. I would almost guarantee a 1st time driver of a GTR that is not HIGHLY experienced would be MUCH faster in a GTR then their own porsche.. Its an Easier car to drive fast..

I also agree that I would not give up my 997tt for a GTR either.. I was on the Fence when i bought the 997 and i sat in Both.. I got out of the GTR and said " Nope, doesnt even feel close to the same sitting in it ".. The 997 is just MORE CAR.. to me atleast..

Mike

Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I agree 100%, Sean. I would never consider swapping my GT2 for a GTR, but I definitely am considering getting a GTR next year to park in my garage next to it (or a 2011 TT M5).

I personally think the GTR is an outstanding car.
Mmmmm.. 2011 M5.. Now your talking.. I hope its all it is cracked up to be.. I LOVED the E60 even N/A.. Now with Twins it should be something special again..

Mike

Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Mmmmm.. 2011 M5.. Now your talking.. I hope its all it is cracked up to be.. I LOVED the E60 even N/A.. Now with Twins it should be something special again..

Mike
I hope the same, Mike. It 'should' be a mod-friendly beast. This is honestly the first time I've been excited about a new BMW in quite a while.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:09 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !

As most of us just buy 1 sports car, most of us in THIS forum prefer the P car to the N car. Not saying Nissan hasn't done a lot for the money but I for one bought Porsche for more money over the GT-R.

And for making you a track hero, it didn't do much for Shinkaze in the Forum Wars episode.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor
This should stir things up a bit.. Here is some lap times today @ 1 lap of America.. All with Pro Drivers.. Gt2>GTR today.. 3 Seconds is quite the Beating.. Nice to see the GTR beating the Z06s though.. LOL

Old 05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
is this a 996 GT2 or 997 GT2, because if it is a 997 GT2 it doesn't count

Old 05-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Prche951
is this a 996 GT2 or 997 GT2, because if it is a 997 GT2 it doesn't count
Its a 996 Gt2.. If i am not mistaken its a Street car w/ Interior, 2 seats, and Stock motor..

Old 05-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Its a 996 Gt2.. If i am not mistaken its a Street car w/ Interior, 2 seats, and Stock motor..
Nice. Looks like they are doing well.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Prche951
Nice. Looks like they are doing well.
Yes they are.. As i read the rules, the car must have above 140 treadwear tires that can make it thru the full event.. That gives a slight advantage to the AWD car for sure i would think.. Will be interesting to see how things pan out..

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh crap, it's time!!