996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oh crap, it's time!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I'm not too sure that anyone will be expect the GT-R to outperform the new 911turbo w/PDK.

As far as comparisons... When an M3 beats a 911turbo and GT-R, based on it having 4 doors and more leg room (not the coupe), I pretty much gave up.

Yeah, I remember that one. I love the M3 but that one was a crazy decision.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Subscribed.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Timing for what?

The time doesn't start until you cross the line.

no shift timing, rpm, etc. I assume you don't stick your car in D and stomp the pedal do you? you manually shift, right? if so, then the timing of when you shift is everything. Either way, it is still uninvolved and unemotional driving. I am not a fan of pdk, but understand it's efficiency. It definitely takes the GTR trans advantage out of the equation and now we know where they sit and why the GTR is fast, the trans.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:09 PM
slick858 has a spectacular aura aboutslick858 has a spectacular aura aboutslick858 has a spectacular aura about
Subscribed.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Ven
Ven is infamous around these parts
If you're going to play with the big dawgs...

I like the forum wars concept of calling out the trash talkers and feel that stock or not is irrelevant. I see these “street legal” performance cars as platforms to be adjusted and customized to fit the ambitions and skill of the driver. Stock or not, is not – or should not be the issue if you are going to talk trash and claim that you have the best car for the event.

I’ve owned several moderately priced street rods from a cobra r , to a Doug Nash Vette, a VR4 and finally a P car. Heck I’ve even owned a couple of crotch rockets. And it’s is a simple fact that any one of them can be modified to outperform the other … how well do you drive, how deep is your wallet and how well can you or your tech turn a wrench and tune.

It should be as simple as line up or shut up. If you’re going to talk trash about “your car” on the Internet, have the ***** to line up and run what you “brung”… heads up, as the two gents did in the competition that started this thread.

So yes, call them out Forum Wars. After all, some of these keyboard killers can’t even fix a flat tire on these cars. Frankly I have more respect for the guy that builds his own 13 second civic in high school auto shop than I do for someone that brags about the 11 second car they simply drove from the showroom floor. …nothing wrong with talking up your drive-by performance, just don’t cry when it gets beat by a modified vehicle.

Vince

Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
no shift timing, rpm, etc. I assume you don't stick your car in D and stomp the pedal do you? you manually shift, right? if so, then the timing of when you shift is everything. Either way, it is still uninvolved and unemotional driving. I am not a fan of pdk, but understand it's efficiency. It definitely takes the GTR trans advantage out of the equation and now we know where they sit and why the GTR is fast, the trans.
I thought we were talking about a drag race... I may have misread (or misunderstood). Yes, when I'm on a drag strip, I leave it in 'A' (Auto). There is no better way to shift (short shifting, etc...) the car to get a better time, unless you've been tuned to do something special. Even with my boost curve changing my torque levels, it does not help to shift manually. Which is why I don't drag race too often. I only do it to measure a specific tune's results.

If I'm on a track - things are different. I've tried running in Auto, and for the most part, gear selection is fine, but for a few corners (needing more than two down shifts, quickly), I found that 'M' (Manual) mode is better for MY experience. The wife tracks in 'A', I track in 'M'.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Congratulations to Enrique...well done! I only saw this today and watched the video and had a ball seeing you put on a great show. Today I got to see video of Leh Keen winning the 2010 OLOA and now of you beating the GTR in that competition. It's a great day to be a Porsche owner!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:45 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Here are the results of this crazy GTR that was at the forum wars. The road course was driven by Michael. I know Michael, we have met several times, and I know his family as well. Michael was going to be one of USF1’s Formula 1 drivers. I’m not here to bash on him as I know him and his family, and his father introduced me to Ken Anderson(I tried to get an F1 seat but no go for me!). But, if a crazy modified out GTR, and with a Formula 1 driver cannot lap faster than my pretty much stock 10 year old platform, with a ‘mediocre’ driver as I was called out in the GTR forums and Adam as well, yet Michael and I lapped the same lap times around the road course. His GTR was completely modified out; nothing on it looked stock, only the shell!
My point ? The 996 platform is much better then what GTR owners think
p.s. Yes the GTR was on slicks like I was J

www.theforumwars.tv

Old 05-24-2010, 04:57 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
This proves very little. Looks like fun, though...

How far is that drag race?

My 505HP (everything else was stock) GT-R ran a 7.5 @ 97mph (without using Launch Control)... So a 74x hp GT-R with slicks is probably a little quicker, no?

Perhaps I'm missing something... Like a 14,500ft altitude or something?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Probably a track setup. Or that bog off the line deal.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
This proves very little. Looks like fun, though...

How far is that drag race?

My 505HP (everything else was stock) GT-R ran a 7.5 @ 97mph (without using Launch Control)... So a 74x hp GT-R with slicks is probably a little quicker, no?

Perhaps I'm missing something... Like a 14,500ft altitude or something?
If IRCC, transmission over heated while staging,

I'm not into drag racing, i'm talking about the road racing times Everyone was saying that Adam could not drive. And not fair Modded 996tt vs. Stock GTr. You can compare modded GTR vs. modded TT with an F1 driver in the making, with a just a regular lad driving a 996tt. Times are identical even though he has 250 HP on me and probably about 20k of mods more then me too.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
If IRCC, transmission over heated while staging,

I'm not into drag racing, i'm talking about the road racing times Everyone was saying that Adam could not drive. And not fair Modded 996tt vs. Stock GTr. You can compare modded GTR vs. modded TT with an F1 driver in the making, with a just a regular lad driving a 996tt. Times are identical even though he has 250 HP on me and probably about 20k of mods more then me too.
How in the hell does a transmission overheat in 10 secs?

Somebody doesn't know what's going ooooonnnnn.....

Last edited by jaspergtr; 05-24-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
How in the hell does a transmission overheat in 10 secs?

Somebody doesn't know what's going ooooonnnnn.....

I wouldn't brag about this - you clearly don't know what happened.

First, whats the big deal with the drag racing ? The car was not design for that. Second, Micheal himself told me after that the transmission over heated (IRRC) when it was in laucnh control. During its practice run it took off like a batout of hell. But during the race, as the lights where starting to tick down, the GTR's launch control rpm's started to drop FAST and bogged like crazy. How the hell do i not know ? I was there As a matter infact, i think my buddy has his own video of the race. (the passanger in my 996tt during the figure 8 )

Also, the drag racing is inrelavent i'm only talking about the road course.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 PM
^ Sounds like the launch control was held too long and disengaged (I'm sure the owner knew this). If the transmission over heated - he would've been in limp mode and would've ran at about 7-8psi and not completed in less than 9 secs (and yes, that means that both of your cars are extremely slow compared to what a FIRST TIMER can do with a STOCK GT-R in AUTO MODE at the drag strip).

I could care less about any of the actual race - just the oddities that stick out at me. It wasn't the power that I was primarily concerned with the first time - it was the tires. Now that they were even - I see expected results. All of that power doesn't help that much if you're not going in a straight line for too long.

One begs the question - did the transmission really rise 100deg (from normal operating temps 190deg - 290deg) in 10secs? Probably not. I wish it did. It would make my winter mornings a lot more fun if my transmission could do that. Unfortunately, I have to wait at least 10 minutes before I can really get on it (140deg). But to climb 100deg in 10secs is absolutely astonishing. If that happened, I stand corrected.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
First, whats the big deal with the drag racing ? The car was not design for that. Second, Micheal himself told me after that the transmission over heated (IRRC) when it was in laucnh control. During its practice run it took off like a batout of hell. But during the race, as the lights where starting to tick down, the GTR's launch control rpm's started to drop FAST and bogged like crazy. How the hell do i not know ? I was there As a matter infact, i think my buddy has his own video of the race. (the passanger in my 996tt during the figure 8 )

Also, the drag racing is inrelavent i'm only talking about the road course.
Just because you were there doesn't mean you were right. Let's go back and reread what I wrote (without actually being there):
Sounds like the launch control was held too long and disengaged (I'm sure the owner knew this). If the transmission over heated - he would've been in limp mode and would've ran at about 7-8psi and not completed in less than 9 secs

compared to what the driver of the GT-R wrote:
Guys it was me in the GTR. I got a really, really bad start incase you can't tell from the video. I was using LC and the tree took forever and right as it turned green LC killed the revs and they were dropping. Totally killed it. I was screaming past him at the end. 1/4 I would have raped him. He even was blown away how fast I was coming up on him. EVC-6 wasnt working at event so I was limited to 15psi vs. 22psi.
And there is no way he was running anywhere near 700hp-anything on 15psi.

The truth is funny.

Competition is still flaky at best. Don't get me wrong - it looks like fun, but it certainly has a lot of room for improvement (the venue that is). Unfortunately - this is just as baseless as the first one.

(my opinion)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh crap, it's time!!