996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oh crap, it's time!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Just because you were there doesn't mean you were right. Let's go back and reread what I wrote (without actually being there):

compared to what the driver of the GT-R wrote:

And there is no way he was running anywhere near 700hp-anything on 15psi.

The truth is funny.

Competition is still flaky at best. Don't get me wrong - it looks like fun, but it certainly has a lot of room for improvement (the venue that is). Unfortunately - this is just as baseless as the first one.

(my opinion)
Jasper,

I always respect the fact that you will passionately defend the GTR on this Forum full of Porsche nuts, but come on!!!.. In this case, Enrique did the job and beat the stock GTR and did extremely well against a modified GTR.. The number of excuses are mounting as to why this modified GTR didn't KILL Enrique.. Either the Car failed due to various issues with the electronics/computer/launch control, or the driver (who from what I hear is EXTREMELY good) screwed up. If anyone was making these excuses for their Porsche, YOU would be all over them calling them bad losers and whiners.

This result is what it is... Enrique kicked *** and the GTR crowd is not happy about it and has innumerable excuses about why; from the driver sucking, to the Car (and isn't that EXACTLY what the reputation of the GTR is? That it breaks/overheats/launch control screws up, etc, etc.).

Let it be what it is.. A very good driver in his 996 beat the GTRs fair and square on that day on that track. That's why racing exists.. on paper all sorts of variables can be argued, but the ACTUAL result on the day cannot.. Enrique in a 996 TT beat those Cars.. That's all She wrote Man...

Last edited by 80shilling; 05-26-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Check and Mate

Old 05-26-2010, 04:06 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Jasper,

I always respect the fact that you will passionately defend the GTR on this Forum full of Porsche nuts, but come on!!!.. In this case, Enrique did the job and beat the stock GTR and did extremely well against a modified GTR.. The number of excuses are mounting as to why this modified GTR didn't KILL Enrique.. Either the Car failed due to various issues with the electronics/computer/launch control, or the driver (who from what I hear is EXTREMELY good) screwed up. If anyone was making these excuses for their Porsche, YOU would be all over them calling them bad losers and whiners.

This result is what it is... Enrique kicked *** and the GTR crowd is not happy about it and has innumerable excuses about why; from the driver sucking, to the Car (and isn't that EXACTLY what the reputation of the GTR is? That it breaks/overheats/launch control screws up, etc, etc.).

Let it be what it is.. A very good driver in his 996 beat the GTRs fair and square on that day on that track. That's why racing exists.. on paper all sorts of variable can be argued, but the ACTUAL result on the day cannot.. Enrique in a 996 TT beat those Cars.. That's all She wrote Man...
did you look at the same picture as I did?

Who got beat?

Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
It looks like I was just speculating what happened to the SUPPOSED 700+HP GT-R (which it wasn't) on the drag race portion - NOTHING MORE.

I didn't say anything else about anything else (except the fact that it was as pointless as the first race).

It wasn't until the ignorant person who told me I was wrong, tried to make himself seem high-and-mighty making some stupid remark about the transmission overheating and "he knew because he was there", did I feel the need to add the FACTS. Which, to most people, is common knowledge.

How is this "DEFENDING" anything - except the truth?

heavychevy - you're right - The facts that I wrote are correct - and it should be left alone.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Jasper - you're data is from the wrong episode.

In the episode with Enrique driving his 996tt (non-S) against the GTR - Enrique beat the GTR...

Attached Images  

Last edited by RiA; 05-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
did you look at the same picture as I did?

Who got beat?

It looks like I was just speculating what happened to the SUPPOSED 700+HP GT-R (which it wasn't) on the drag race portion - NOTHING MORE.

I didn't say anything else about anything else (except the fact that it was as pointless as the first race).

It wasn't until the ignorant person who told me I was wrong, tried to make himself seem high-and-mighty making some stupid remark about the transmission overheating and "he knew because he was there", did I feel the need to add the FACTS. Which, to most people, is common knowledge.

How is this "DEFENDING" anything - except the truth?

heavychevy - you're right - The facts that I wrote are correct - and it should be left alone.
Again.. all due respect, but it WAS a 700 HP Car and because the Car's electronics/launch control/CPU/Boost Controller had issues, it wasn't able to produce that 700 HP... Again.. the limitations of the complexity of the Car rears it's ugly head. The owner/Driver of the Car stated categorically that the Car had malfunctions at the line and with other systems "EVC-6 wasn't working at event so I was limited to 15psi vs. 22psi". These excuses are valid to a point, but are continuing to make me think of the GTR as fragile, unreliable and temperamental...

So to recap.. The Car IS a 700 HP Car when everything is working, it doesn't overheat, the Launch control doesn't suddenly stop/turn off/malfunction and the EVC-6 HKS boost controller is working..

Do you see my point here? The 700 HP Car was reduced to a far lesser state of competence due to what many people have repeated over and over and that is that the GTR has it's issues.. This has just proven those people right to a large degree.

Again, Kudos for defending the GTR, but at some point, you have to look at the reality of the situation. On that day, Enrique and his 996 TT beat the stock GTR and won at least one of the events against a purported 700 HP modded GTR that couldn't deliver the goods on that day for many reasons.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:17 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Again.. all due respect, but it WAS a 700 HP Car and because the Car's electronics/launch control/CPU/Boost Controller had issues, it wasn't able to produce that 700 HP... Again.. the limitations of the complexity of the Car rears it's ugly head. The owner/Driver of the Car stated categorically that the Car had malfunctions at the line and with other systems "EVC-6 wasn't working at event so I was limited to 15psi vs. 22psi". These excuses are valid to a point, but are continuing to make me think of the GTR as fragile, unreliable and temperamental...

So to recap.. The Car IS a 700 HP Car when everything is working, it doesn't overheat, the Launch control doesn't suddenly stop/turn off/malfunction and the EVC-6 HKS boost controller is working..

Do you see my point here? The 700 HP Car was reduced to a far lesser state of competence due to what many people have repeated over and over and that is that the GTR has it's issues.. This has just proven those people right to a large degree.

Again, Kudos for defending the GTR, but at some point, you have to look at the reality of the situation. On that day, Enrique and his 996 TT beat the stock GTR and won at least one of the events against a purported 700 HP modded GTR that couldn't deliver the goods on that day for many reasons.
The Boost controller wasn't working... This has nothing to do with the GT-R's build quality.

The LC is PROGRAMMED to turn off after about 5 secs. This is not a malfunction. It is designed this way. This has NOTHING to do with the GT-R's build quality.

I'm not defending anything against anybody for anyone... I was merely speculating about why the GT-R ran a slower time than my lightly tuned (otherwise) stock GT-R. It wasn't until I was told that I was wrong, did I defend MYSELF and MY OWN opinion of what happened (just so happened that I was right). I don't like when people say - "You don't know because you weren't there." Apparently I did know. That was the extent of my intention.

I'm not here to defend anybody's car. I don't think anybody wants me to defend their car either. I don't really care who won on which day.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by RiA
Jasper - you're data is from the wrong episode.

In the episode with Enrique driving his 996tt (non-S) against the GTR - Enrique beat the GTR...

Look at post #218. I didn't think I was mistaken...

There was another event. Perhaps I'm wrong - it is certainly possible. Please let me know if I'm off.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

Look at post #218. I didn't think I was mistaken...

There was another event. Perhaps I'm wrong - it is certainly possible. Please let me know if I'm off.
you are correct. There was two events. The first Enrique won against the GTR. The next one was a Tiptronic 996tt vs a 730 hp GTR. The GTR won that one. Regardless of the fact that it had two drivers, a "budding F1 driver" and Justin. It still won.

Fun episodes for sure Not realistic.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Jasper, how about giving it up now, you are only making yourself look bad.

If you weren't so busy trolling you'd know the difference between the two cars can would have done a little research.

Last edited by heavychevy; 05-26-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Jasper,

I'm comparing my times when I raced the stock GTR vs. the modded GTR that was there as well. I didn't reveal the results as i sign a disclosure. But now that both episodes are up, i'm pointing out even a modded GTR could no lap faster than I in the road course with a USF1's F1 driver they had in mind. Now, I'm not including the figure 8 as I beat the stock, and the modded GTR but the modded one was being driven by Justin. Also, I would like to point out, and please point me out wrong, but Mike got several laps in the GTR BEFORE the road course challenge started. I think we all did 4 laps IRRC. But the modded GTR did about 10 laps earlier with Michael in the car + 4 he got to set a fast lap. FWTW.

If you were closer it would be fun to go to the track together so you can show me what a GTR can do.

Also here's a vid, of him driving, so you can see he is a great driver. Maybe the car let him down ?

p.s. Drop the drag racing part would you already. I can careless about that. Compare the 996tt modded times vs the gtr modded times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHluA...eature=related

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 05-26-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I sure wouldn't waste my time on NAGTROC trying to convince them that the 997.2TT is a better car than the GTR. And, I really don't care what they think.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Jasper, how about giving it up now, you are only making yourself look bad.

If you weren't so busy trolling you'd know the difference between the two cars can would have done a little research.
And if you weren't busy trolling my posts - you would've known that I DID point out the difference between the two vehicles... It was even brought up - and then I specified the actual difference myself to another who missed it. Try rereading them, and then post something of relevance or value. This post I'm replying to was just ignorant. The only reason I posted the speculation about the drag race was because it was another car, another race. If that didn't happen, I'd have nothing to speculate, now would I?
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Jasper,

I'm comparing my times when I raced the stock GTR vs. the modded GTR that was there as well. I didn't reveal the results as i sign a disclosure. But now that both episodes are up, i'm pointing out even a modded GTR could no lap faster than I in the road course with a USF1's F1 driver they had in mind. Now, I'm not including the figure 8 as I beat the stock, and the modded GTR but the modded one was being driven by Justin. Also, I would like to point out, and please point me out wrong, but Mike got several laps in the GTR BEFORE the road course challenge started. I think we all did 4 laps IRRC. But the modded GTR did about 10 laps earlier with Michael in the car + 4 he got to set a fast lap. FWTW.

If you were closer it would be fun to go to the track together so you can show me what a GTR can do.

Also here's a vid, of him driving, so you can see he is a great driver. Maybe the car let him down ?

p.s. Drop the drag racing part would you already. I can careless about that. Compare the 996tt modded times vs the gtr modded times.
I was actually impressed with your willingness to put yourself (and your car) out there for everyone to see. I enjoy a race like everyone else. The only part I was speculating about was the only part that seemed odd. I said that LC quit. You said the transmission overheated - the only issue I had with that is: You went on to say "I know because I was there." That is the only issue I had. Had you not tried to take a superior position because of your physical presence, I probably would've let it go. But this is a well-known built-in feature of the car (to disengage LC after a few seconds).

Once again - There is so much more potential to this competition. I disagree with the setup, courses, etc... But that is irrelevant. Winning on course on slicks (first event) against a car not on them was a waste of time (in my opinion). Loosing to another car also on slicks and about the same power (because of a faulty aftermarket boost controller) is more conclusive, but based on the event, I also find it irrelevant. The only oddity to me was the drag race time. I, too, place the least amount of weight on the drag race - any monkey (to quote Clint Bowyer) can drag race the GT-R. That was my onlny issue. I am in NO WAY saying that your car did poorly, or that you did poorly on the turning portions of the event. I'm not saying that the GT-R ran poorly either. I DID say that a stock GT-R with a first timer can run a better time than the GT-R did - so SOMETHING had to happen. That is as far as I took this.
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I sure wouldn't waste my time on NAGTROC trying to convince them that the 997.2TT is a better car than the GTR. And, I really don't care what they think.
You'd be surprised how many of those people think that the 997.2TT w/PDK is better than the GT-R. It's a pretty big debate. The problem is, people, like me, who keep saying that the .2 PDK is better, keep on getting shot down because of actual road course times still not posting any better than the GT-R's.

Obviously the 997.2TT w/PDK can drag race faster. But in the only head-to-head comparison (based on performance) that I saw had the GT-R running faster than a 997.2TT 6sp.

My question for USCCayman is: what on earth does this have to do with the events in this thread?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
this thread jumped the shark pages ago

Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM
^ The new topic (related to the first post) just started a few posts ago with new results from a different event. If you didn't read the previous page, one could easily think that the new discussions are off-topic.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
My question for USCCayman is: what on earth does this have to do with the events in this thread?[/quote]

A great deal. I wouldn't bother wasting my time trying to defend the Porsche Turbo or any performance related to it on NAGTROC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh crap, it's time!!