996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oh crap, it's time!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
I agree 100%.. I prefer to drive my Porsche on a Track with 17 turns vs 1320ft of straight line.. I was just trying to make people aware of what the car has accomplished already so we all dont look naive to the fact that the GTR straightline performance is superior to ours..

You outdrove him plain as day on the road course.. So again, CONGRATS to you.. From what i have seen from the GTR at our local track Sebring 2:19 is pretty freakin fast for a car that is a street car.. I havent really seen a Gt3 run those times with just a regular driver at any of the events i have attended.. The GTR was tailing an F430 race car on slicks and he was on Rcomps.. Again just an isolated car i have seen in person but its no slouch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXWkzvGRc34

Mike
yes the trans is a marvel, oh wait it was created by porsche in the 80's.

But what part of the new turbo with pdk destroying the times of the GTR did we miss. The new 997pdk easily beats the GTR. I would bet a 996tt with pdk would have been right there in stock form. after all the power to weight ratio is nearly identical in both cars.

We have all seen Mikelly following a cup car and the cup car giving him the pass.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
yes the trans is a marvel, oh wait it was created by porsche in the 80's.

But what part of the new turbo with pdk destroying the times of the GTR did we miss. The new 997pdk easily beats the GTR. I would bet a 996tt with pdk would have been right there in stock form. after all the power to weight ratio is nearly identical in both cars.

We have all seen Mikelly following a cup car and the cup car giving him the pass.
I said the PDK would be the car to rival the GTR a few posts back.. I agree with you..

I have a customer with a Cup Car who waves by most of the Field.. Hes learning to drive and cup car is what he wanted.. LOL

My point was in street car form its no slouch and we all know how difficult it is to adjust to driving a Porsche.. The GTR is easier to drive for sure..

Mike

Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
so lets talk sebring:

Originally Posted by mrsideways
Sebring Vid on Slicks. Traqmate wasn't working and video camera ran out of memory on the 2nd lap but this was the first full lap on slicks. I've never driven on a full slick before and we've got some sorting to do on the handling. It was VERY VERY hot and greasy that day. Compartitively in the one lap we did a 2:18 on PS2 street tires, we were a couple seconds back on this day on the same street tires due to track conditions. We put the slicks on to get an idea on the handling and a quick heat cycle. Wish I had more laps and better conditions, I know this puppy could crack a 12... maybe even an 11. Video from the following laps wouldn't matter anyway I had traffic. By the Video when I did the editing this was a 2:14.9 but who knows how accurate that is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH7llZWCRpI

Ian Stewart

Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
so lets talk sebring:
I know that car.. VERY FAST.. I dont know all the details but i know its fast.. I wasnt posting the GTR to say its the fastest in sebring but if we look in the scheme of things 180k vs 80k.. Its hard to deny..

Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I know that car.. VERY FAST.. I dont know all the details but i know its fast.. I wasnt posting the GTR to say its the fastest in sebring but if we look in the scheme of things 180k vs 80k.. Its hard to deny..

I have said it before, the biggest detriment to the GTR is nissans way of hyping it by attacking it's progenitor the 996tt. The GTR is an achievement by Nissan, but never did it perform as Nissan claims. We have already seen it bested by 997TT's 997GT's in comparisons when Nissan's testing showed it to be better. Nissan should just have let the car prove itself. Now Nissan and GTR owners keep back peddling everytime their baby gets spanked. It's getting old and this horse has been beaten to death. Yes, the 996tt is a 130k car new and it shows in build quality. In stock form it is not as fast in straight line as a GTR, I am fine with that. I'd rather have the Iconic car with the engine that won lemans many times than a Nissan.

But I do understand what you are saying. It has plenty of

Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Former Vendor
I have said it before, the biggest detriment to the GTR is nissans way of hyping it by attacking it's progenitor the 996tt. The GTR is an achievement by Nissan, but never did it perform as Nissan claims. We have already seen it bested by 997TT's 997GT's in comparisons when Nissan's testing showed it to be better. Nissan should just have let the car prove itself. Now Nissan and GTR owners keep back peddling everytime their baby gets spanked. It's getting old and this horse has been beaten to death. Yes, the 996tt is a 130k car new and it shows in build quality. In stock form it is not as fast in straight line as a GTR, I am fine with that. I'd rather have the Iconic car with the engine that won lemans many times than a Nissan.

But I do understand what you are saying. It has plenty of
I am on the same page.. I didn't buy the GTR for a reason.. While easier to drive and make a novice go fast it doesn't have the luster of the Porsche.. I love beating my 997tt for 1 full hour @ Sebring and looking over at the Oil temp and water temp gauges that DONT MOVE..

Mike

Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
maybe

My point was in street car form its no slouch and we all know how difficult it is to adjust to driving a Porsche.. The GTR is easier to drive for sure..

Mike

All I know is when I took my PDK turbo to sears point it was extremely easy to drive. This is my first porsche even and I had no issues adjusting to the rear engine configuration.
From what I understand, the suspension changes, new engine mounts, etc have made this very easy to drive.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GTsilver2010
All I know is when I took my PDK turbo to sears point it was extremely easy to drive. This is my first porsche even and I had no issues adjusting to the rear engine configuration.
From what I understand, the suspension changes, new engine mounts, etc have made this very easy to drive.
Sorry i meant a RWD like GT3 or Older 996 even is a little more difficult.. The PDK was built to make driving much easier.. Im positive there will be 20 of these running 10s next year EASY..

Mike

Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Porsche has won the first three events of the 2010 Nurburgring series, three in a row. Now that's an achievement. Not to mention they aren't doing too bad in the ALMS series so far this year, either. Pretty much equal drivers under equal conditions. When you win under those kind of circumstances, you know you have done something. By the way, f1crazydriver, YOU DA MAN!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Shinkaze has a spectacular aura aboutShinkaze has a spectacular aura about
Hey guys, I'm the driver of the GT-R, and one of the organizers of Forum Wars.

First, I lost the race fair and square, no complaints, he simply out drove me. It was run what you brung and I didn't bring enough. That said I wouldn't get too prideful, as a 350Z beat both of our times.
:-0

If you look at the actual leader board results for the entire series, you'll see that there were some upsets. I think one of the Mustangs even beat the ZR1's times, mainly because of track temps changed through the day.

The 996 was making more power than my car and he had track tires to my run flat Bridgestones. Also I only have a few years of road racing experience so I wasn't quite as skilled as Enrique (and obviously have at least 100 pounds on him ;-). I think that equal drivers the Porsche still would have won as the track simply wasn't the wide open track that the GT-R favors.

To all the Porsche drivers out there. Don't forget that my very same stock GT-R that lost to a modified 996 this year, beat a stock La Carrera prepped 997 GT3 and a Tech Art GT-Street 997 at Willow Springs a year earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrd8VzfZzN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlcw3cJywqI

I would love a remach, but I'm gonna need to flash the meat computer behind the steering wheel. It's what's slowing down the car! ;-)

On the race organization, We launched Forum Wars in partnership with Royal Purple and Internet Brands. I thank both of them for making this happen as these sorts of shows are tens of thousands of dollars to produce and require a huge safety and film crew. Without their help, we simply wouldn't be able to make these sorts of shows.

My company AutoStream.com produces a number of shows, and we since we're working on a fraction of a TV budget, I hope you'll understand if it's not as amazing as it could be, so please give us feedback on how to make these shows better. We make them for you guys, and we want to keep making them, and we can only do that if you let us know what you like so we can do more of it!

I do owe NAGRTOC an apology though as I couldn't find Chuck's number the day of the shoot to make sure he would be okay with me representing the forum. Originally it was only supposed to be Internet Brand forums, but I insisted as a show producer that my GT-R forum be represented.... might have reconsidered had I known they were going to pair me up with the modified 996 instead of the stock Turbo S! (for the record I think the 996 Turbo S beat me too, but that was because Doug Tabbut the owner of switchcars.com was driving, that man is a seriously hot shoe!)

Anyhow, happy to answer any questions.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:12 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trev0006
here are the mods for the Porsche

997ssk
Straight pipes using OEM cats.
996 GT2 Control arms
997 GT3 brake ducs
Ruf springs
996 GT3 seats
UMW flash
and I believe the GTR owner posted "the Porsche had track tires"

If this is basically stock then 90% of the people on both forums are driving basically stock cars.

What I didn't like is in the video there was no metion of mods and the avarage person will think they are both stock cars and buy the car based on these results.

Can you say "Misrepresentation"
You do realize only 2 things on there are not OEM parts ? And the Ruf springs are pretty much what the European market got vs US spec minus i dont have the shocks.

Also, yes I was using R comps. Adam asked me if i would mind if he used some BBS wheels i believe wrap on R888. I said no, i do not mind. Go right ahead. I also mention to him, that the forum nagtroc members states the r888 are not any faster and sometimes even slower. You can go look for the long thread over thread. And as for the fact that i had R comps, i told him i will carry a passanger. I volunteered to carry a passanger to make things 'even'.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Nico is infamous around these partsNico is infamous around these parts
i think it would have been more interesting if

A. the 996tt was stock

B. it was a 997tt instead

im a member of both nagtroc and 6speed. have been on this forum way longer and have owned many P-cars before picking up the GTR. they (when i say they, i'll refer to the 997tt) are two different animals. it really all just comes down to preference. to me, the 997tt is more rewarding to drive but the fun factor goes to the GTR.

again, i am just a innocent civilian. please do not flame me.

Last edited by Nico; 04-27-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:15 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Hey guys, I'm the driver of the GT-R, and one of the organizers of Forum Wars.

First, I lost the race fair and square, no complaints, he simply out drove me. It was run what you brung and I didn't bring enough. That said I wouldn't get too prideful, as a 350Z beat both of our times.
:-0

If you look at the actual leader board results for the entire series, you'll see that there were some upsets. I think one of the Mustangs even beat the ZR1's times, mainly because of track temps changed through the day.

The 996 was making more power than my car and he had track tires to my run flat Bridgestones. Also I only have a few years of road racing experience so I wasn't quite as skilled as Enrique (and obviously have at least 100 pounds on him ;-). I think that equal drivers the Porsche still would have won as the track simply wasn't the wide open track that the GT-R favors.

To all the Porsche drivers out there. Don't forget that my very same stock GT-R that lost to a modified 996 this year, beat a stock La Carrera prepped 997 GT3 and a Tech Art GT-Street 997 at Willow Springs a year earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrd8VzfZzN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlcw3cJywqI

I would love a remach, but I'm gonna need to flash the meat computer behind the steering wheel. It's what's slowing down the car! ;-)

On the race organization, We launched Forum Wars in partnership with Royal Purple and Internet Brands. I thank both of them for making this happen as these sorts of shows are tens of thousands of dollars to produce and require a huge safety and film crew. Without their help, we simply wouldn't be able to make these sorts of shows.

My company AutoStream.com produces a number of shows, and we since we're working on a fraction of a TV budget, I hope you'll understand if it's not as amazing as it could be, so please give us feedback on how to make these shows better. We make them for you guys, and we want to keep making them, and we can only do that if you let us know what you like so we can do more of it!

I do owe NAGRTOC an apology though as I couldn't find Chuck's number the day of the shoot to make sure he would be okay with me representing the forum. Originally it was only supposed to be Internet Brand forums, but I insisted as a show producer that my GT-R forum be represented.... might have reconsidered had I known they were going to pair me up with the modified 996 instead of the stock Turbo S! (for the record I think the 996 Turbo S beat me too, but that was because Doug Tabbut the owner of switchcars.com was driving, that man is a seriously hot shoe!)

Anyhow, happy to answer any questions.

Adam,

Like I said to you in person. I'm down to do a rematch if you like. Laguna Seca or whatever you want. I really think your a great lad. I'm just a bit annoyed how the gtr forum has treated the event as a hoax and insulting my car and myself as a driver and you as a driver-as i think you drove well! . You have my email, mod your car and hit me up !

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 04-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Shinkaze has a spectacular aura aboutShinkaze has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Adam,

Like I said to you in person. I'm down to do a rematch if you like. Laguna Seca or whatever you want. I really think your a great lad. I'm just a bit annoyed how the gtr forum has treated the event as a hoax and insulting my car and myself as a driver and you as a driver-as i think you drove well! . You have my email, mod your car and hit me up !
I would love to do Laguna, and I think I'm heading up there to film a GMG event this fall. Sooner than that we're discussing doing another show at Willow Springs, if that happens I'll let you know as we'll have the whole place to ourselves!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Actually 3 cars have run 9s already.. 10s is very old news.. They are running 10's with Tune, Intake and Exhaust.. There are 20 of those already.. its a SUPERIOR straight line car no way to argue that.. Its less than 2 years old not 9..

1 SPE 9.62 @ 149.80 Best trap speed of 150.65 R
2 SPE Hing 9.84 @ 148.40 Best trap speed of 148.42
3 AMS DragoGT-R 9.89@ 146.96 R
4 Jotech 10.06@139.49
5 SSP/ HP logic Fiske GTS 10.23@ 136.02 R
6 V8 Killer 10.31 @ 131.75 R
7godzila2009 10.36 E85
8JOTECH 10.376 @ 134.230 R
9SSP/ HP logic sleepdoc 10.41 R OEM Tires
10JohnTurbo 10.47@132 R

TUNE

1 sleepdoc 10.66 @ 132.41
2 godzila2009 10.700 @ 131.78
3FatNSlo 10.703 @ 132.46
4 celsius 10.80 @ 129.3 MPH E85
5 Goodwood 10.856 @130.440
6 VEGASGTR 10.85 @ 129.16
72jz-gtr 10.871 @ 127.640
8 tester 10.880 @ 129.25
9 houstonT 10.89@132.43
10Fiske GTS 10.92 @129.33
11 jason427 10.95@126.79
12Crazybob 10 .957 @ 124.690
13 HybridMT 10.967 @ 128.69
Mike, that's what I said, if there are GT-Rs that are breaking 10 (which means 9.99 or faster), there are no more than 5 cars in the country. You've shown me 3. Thanks.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 04-27-2010 at 09:25 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh crap, it's time!!