996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oh crap, it's time!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:47 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
I agree 100%.. I prefer to drive my Porsche on a Track with 17 turns vs 1320ft of straight line.. I was just trying to make people aware of what the car has accomplished already so we all dont look naive to the fact that the GTR straightline performance is superior to ours..

You outdrove him plain as day on the road course.. So again, CONGRATS to you.. From what i have seen from the GTR at our local track Sebring 2:19 is pretty freakin fast for a car that is a street car.. I havent really seen a Gt3 run those times with just a regular driver at any of the events i have attended.. The GTR was tailing an F430 race car on slicks and he was on Rcomps.. Again just an isolated car i have seen in person but its no slouch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXWkzvGRc34

Mike
You are aware that a 996 GT2 ran 2:18's on PS2's with nothing but a flash and Motons though aren't you? One of our very own in fact. And there are more comparisons to come between a similarly modded (actually somewhat less) 996 TT to that very GT-R. Stay Tuned.

GT3's will have a hard time at Sebring because of the long straights. Get a Porsche with some oomph in the back and it's a different story.

In fact that same GT-R ran a 1:32 at Road Atlanta on R888's with 527 whp (dyno dynamics), aeromotions wing and JRZ 3-ways with half the interior out. I ran 1:32 with MPSC, a flash/exhaust on K24's, JIC and a rear sway, on stock wheels, fully stock interior. BTW I made 439 whp on the same dyno in RWD vs the 527 in AWD.

Last edited by heavychevy; 04-27-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Adam,

What do you think about my idea of doing some heads up roll on racing in Goliad (where they hold the Tx Mile).

It would go from the 1/4 mile mark to the 3/4 mile mark, from 40 mph to 160?

They only limit would be that the cars must have a stock block, bolt on mods only.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Hey guys, I'm the driver of the GT-R, and one of the organizers of Forum Wars.

Welcome to 6speed Adam! I recall some of your posts from the early Nagtroc days and seem to remember you as one of the pioneers there. I find it quite disappointing how the NT guys have turned on you. I hope you stick around here as I think you will actually find more camaraderie here.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Eclou, welcome to the 6, there can only be one winner, it wasn't like it was a blowout, thank you both for the video, fun to wait and watch. BTW you buddies over at GTR site seem like a very bitter group of kids

Old 04-27-2010, 08:20 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
The issue I see is - it isn't 996 vs GT-R, it's driver vs driver.

The cars are about equal (not exactly, but close enough).

Just like the Mustang and ZR-1 that the GT-R driver mentioned.

Although, cool to watch - means absolutely nothing (I don't care who won).

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
The issue I see is - it isn't 996 vs GT-R, it's driver vs driver.

The cars are about equal (not exactly, but close enough).

Just like the Mustang and ZR-1 that the GT-R driver mentioned.

Although, cool to watch - means absolutely nothing (I don't care who won).
I agree with jaspergtr, there is really no point to this. The race was between those TWO CARs and TWO DRIVERs; and we cannot generalize if 996TT or GT-R is a better car.

There is no such thing as equally mod’d cars. If you take the mods and drivers out of the equation, you will end up with two stock cars with a single driver… which many car shows/magazines had already done. However, even with a single driver on the same car, there will be differences on every lap time. When you have a single driver driving both cars (with similar performance), the result should be… the car that is easier to drive will get better time which is GT-R in most cases. Though, many magazine car drivers stated that they would prefer to drive the Pcars over the GT-Rs because of the excitement.

The world will keep turning, and some GT-R will get beaten by TT and some TT will get beaten by GT-R… this will be a never ending battle. Maybe we should just “play a friendly game of chess”.

Last edited by MY996TT; 04-27-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Please sign neg reps.

*(unless it's not your fault, and you were born without a spine)

Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I agree with jaspergtr, there is really no point to this. The race was between those TWO CARs and TWO DRIVERs; and we cannot generalize if 996TT or GT-R is a better car.

There is no such thing as equally mod’d cars. If you take the mods and drivers out of the equation, you will end up with two stock cars with a single driver… which many car shows/magazines had already done. However, even with a single driver on the same car, there will be differences on every lap time. When you have a single driver driving both cars (with similar performance), the result should be… the car that is easier to drive will get better time which is GT-R in most cases. Though, many magazine car drivers stated that they would prefer to drive the Pcars over the GT-Rs because of the excitement.

The world will keep turning, and some GT-R will get beaten by TT and some TT will get beaten by GT-R… this will be a never ending battle. Maybe we should just “play a friendly game of chess”.
I disagree, there lots of cars that are equally modded. But what I call equally modded is taking two cars that are already similar and adding the same mods to them.

If you take a 996 TT and a GT-R and flash/exhaust, coilover, weight reduction (in similar amounts to) both of them, you've done equal mods to each car. That is equally modded. The GT-R and Porsche Turbo are alike enough that the results of those things are similar.

However truly "equalizing" the cars would allow sequentials, lsd's etc etc in both cars, and that's a product of competition.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Hey heavychevy,
I was just trying to get my point across with no argument intended.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I disagree, there lots of cars that are equally modded. But what I call equally modded is taking two cars that are already similar and adding the same mods to them.

If you take a 996 TT and a GT-R and flash/exhaust, coilover, weight reduction (in similar amounts to) both of them, you've done equal mods to each car. That is equally modded. The GT-R and Porsche Turbo are alike enough that the results of those things are similar.

However truly "equalizing" the cars would allow sequentials, lsd's etc etc in both cars, and that's a product of competition.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Yeah... This has devolved into another useless "Porsche is better than Nissan/The GTR/The Porsche TT sucks" pissing contest.. The basic fact is that Enrique (F1Crazydriver) was the better driver, pure and simple.. Actual driving talent will overcome an average driver in ANY street Car, no matter how many driver aids it has...

I think my real issue is that the majority of owners that have never taken their Cars to a roadcourse, have no idea how much driving skill makes a difference..

The number of times I have seen newbies come to the track with their Viper/Ferrari Scuderia/GT3/GTR/ZO6 and be utterly convinced they will "blow away" everything on the track... then promptly get passed by 5 guys driving spec Miatas at full bore through the corners... It's a great experience for some of my students, because only THEN do they realize that you can have the fastest, most technologically advanced Car ever built, yet if you haven't learned any REAL driving skills on the track, then indeed a very well driven Miata WILL be faster around a track like Sears Point/Infineon than a ZO6/Viper/GTR driven by an average Car enthusiast with no training.

The bottom line is that instead of whining, I am disappointed that the NATROG guys couldn't at least say "well done... good driving Enrique" or something similar. Enrique is a good guy and an extremely good driver... THAT is why he won, not the fact that his Car is slightly modded (and I bet that even with the tune etc, he's STILL down on HP to the GTR).

My 2c...

Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I actually started liking the GTR. It has grown on me, but the attitude I saw over at Nagtroc is enough for me not to have one, in addition to the trans. I like Manual trannies even if they are slower than dual clutch trannies

Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
^ I believe the consensus was - it was 'Forum Wars'.

Who nominated him and that scenario to represent an entire forum?

Would you enjoy representation without a vote?

*edit: And what I read is, what was wrong with getting a stock GT-R vs a stock 911? If you want to compare cars, wouldn't one do this?

Last edited by jaspergtr; 04-27-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Yeah... This has devolved into another useless "Porsche is better than Nissan/The GTR/The Porsche TT sucks" pissing contest.. The basic fact is that Enrique (F1Crazydriver) was the better driver, pure and simple.. Actual driving talent will overcome an average driver in ANY street Car, no matter how many driver aids it has...

I think my real issue is that the majority of owners that have never taken their Cars to a roadcourse, have no idea how much driving skill makes a difference..

The number of times I have seen newbies come to the track with their Viper/Ferrari Scuderia/GT3/GTR/ZO6 and be utterly convinced they will "blow away" everything on the track... then promptly get passed by 5 guys driving spec Miatas at full bore through the corners... It's a great experience for some of my students, because only THEN do they realize that you can have the fastest, most technologically advanced Car ever built, yet if you haven't learned any REAL driving skills on the track, then indeed a very well driven Miata WILL be faster around a track like Sears Point/Infineon than a ZO6/Viper/GTR driven by an average Car enthusiast with no training.

The bottom line is that instead of whining, I am disappointed that the NATROG guys couldn't at least say "well done... good driving Enrique" or something similar. Enrique is a good guy and an extremely good driver... THAT is why he won, not the fact that his Car is slightly modded (and I bet that even with the tune etc, he's STILL down on HP to the GTR).

My 2c...
+1 EXACTLY! Driver vs driver. This has NOTHING to do with GT-R vs 911, and less to do with NAGTROC vs 6Speed.

BUT, with more power, less weight (including the passenger), and better tires, one could easily speculate the 911 had an advantage before the clock even began with this sort of 'track' (I have a hard time calling it that).

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
^ I believe the consensus was - it was 'Forum Wars'.

Who nominated him and that scenario to represent an entire forum?

Would you enjoy representation without a vote?

*edit: And what I read is, what was wrong with getting a stock GT-R vs a stock 911? If you want to compare cars, wouldn't one do this?

A stock 10 year old Porsche Turbo vs a 2-3 year old GT-R with sequential shifters, more hp, more nannies, more "advanced" suspension, aero, awd, torque vectoring, electronically controlled suspsension and the list goes on...........

And you're crying about stock vs stock when all he did was equalize the hp some??

That's like the guys who show up at the track in Cup Cars, ACR's, Ford GT's, Z06's, GT3's or whatever and then cry about how their car is stock when a simple bolt-on Evo scrapes the floor with them. I could understand if this was a 500-600 whp Turbo with Moton's and so on, but comon, really?

Last edited by heavychevy; 04-27-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
While we are still arguing about 99_TT vs. GTR, Porsche moves on with the hybrid 918 and racing hybrids at the 'ring. They are looking toward the future and the survival of high performance sports cars in the green "brave new world".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh crap, it's time!!