996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Discouraged about 996tt purchase after browsing here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Skullbussa is infamous around these parts
Talking Discouraged about 996tt purchase after browsing here

As someone who habitually over-researches major purchases, I think I've made a mistake lurking on these forums. In the market for an 2001-2002, $40-45k car seems to be asking for a disaster after reading posts about 2nd gear pop outs, rear spoiler malfunction lights, etc.

Do these issues really plague a lot of the cars out there in the wild? Are these problems almost destined to pop up?

Thanks,

Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Patrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant future
Just make sure you get a proper PPI done by someone other than the dealership on the car and you can avoid a lot of headaches down the road.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I had an 04 and the rear spoiler didn't work. I don't think they are plagued.

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
As someone who habitually over-researches major purchases, I think I've made a mistake lurking on these forums. In the market for an 2001-2002, $40-45k car seems to be asking for a disaster after reading posts about 2nd gear pop outs, rear spoiler malfunction lights, etc.

Do these issues really plague a lot of the cars out there in the wild? Are these problems almost destined to pop up?

Thanks,

Old 04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
eds966tt is infamous around these parts
My advice is buy a Honda... you never know even wih a Honda. I have owned two Porsches and have put 8 to 10 k in both ver the years. Then another 50 k in mods. Nothing drives like a 911 air or water cooled. On the street or track.
Remember this is not a economy car in gas or in parts and they do need to be fixed from time to time. Dont want o scare you away.. keep in mind i purchased a second one .... if you push it - it does require parts... but then this car is a sports car and a super one at that... an if second gear pops out... its time for go fast parts... and btw i have dumped 15 k into a trans as well and upgrades were worth it. Depends how you want to spend your money on the golf course, vacations or cars. Hy its all about fun and enjoying one of the super cars in your life time not to mention working on it or the 15 grand i have in tools. Good luck in your decision!

Old 04-20-2010, 05:03 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
For this performance level, you can't find a stronger/more reliable car out there than a turbocharged Porsche.

The GT1-derived engine is bulletproof.

The overall build quality of the car is amazing. You can't find another car that feels so tight and strong after 10 years...

And if it will require a little extra maintenance...who cares, it deserves it.

IMO.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
+1 on both responses. Look at it this way, the ones you are looking at are 8-10 years old vehicles (2001 model year could've hit the road in 2000), I would be surprised if even Honda's are trouble free at that age

get a PPI but remember that you are not buying an appliance...but guarantee you will have a hoot behind the wheel! I have only owned 2 porsches in my life but both were turbos

Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Other than the powerplant, are these cars well-built and reliable? I am interested in staying away from problems with window motors, squeaky/inoperative sunroofs, gauge issues, TPMS errors, various CELs that are triggered for ridiculous reasons, etc. Essentially non-powerplant things...from my experience, these are the things that truly annoy and add up as I've never had an engine, turbo, or transmission blow up on me.

Is the 996tt a car that I can buy, put 5k a year on the odometer and simply worry about tires/brakes/fluids or is this a car that I'm going to be constantly dicking with issues like those above? Such issues are expected but preferably by exception, not the rule.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
TTHunter has a spectacular aura aboutTTHunter has a spectacular aura aboutTTHunter has a spectacular aura about
Mine is 7 years old and it has some squeaks and rattles and is considered to be in very good shape. So you have to expect some of that or you can just lay out 160k and get a new one. You know those new ones are supposed to be mighty sweet!

Inoperative sunroofs - the first time I opened mine it pushed the cover back in there with it and it never came back out. I guess one of these days I should try to get it back out but it is too fun to drive to sart tearing it apart worrying about a sunroof visor.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:43 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
i just sold my mint 03 TT for under $40k with no 2nd gear popout and no other issues... there are deals out there...

Old 04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
As far as the purchase and in the case of the 996TT I say buy clean even if you have to spend a few more bucks...

I did

As far as usage once you have it I say use it and enjoy it as much as possible...

I do

Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Other than the powerplant, are these cars well-built and reliable? I am interested in staying away from problems with window motors, squeaky/inoperative sunroofs, gauge issues, TPMS errors, various CELs that are triggered for ridiculous reasons, etc. Essentially non-powerplant things...from my experience, these are the things that truly annoy and add up as I've never had an engine, turbo, or transmission blow up on me.

Is the 996tt a car that I can buy, put 5k a year on the odometer and simply worry about tires/brakes/fluids or is this a car that I'm going to be constantly dicking with issues like those above? Such issues are expected but preferably by exception, not the rule.
i own my 996tt since it was new, even now i couldnt think of selling it, maybe add a 997.2tt pdk
996tt will hold up better than most exotic out there with the same mileage. a supercar still this desireable after 10yrs is unheard of. try buying a 10 yr old vette u'll understand (nothing against vette) comparision only
OH BTW I BOUGHT MINE IN THE HIGH $160,000 RANGE IN 2001

Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
Got 24k miles on mine and no issues that are commonly complained about...and I beat on mine at the track (my guess is that I have put maybe 4-5k track miles on it)

Old 04-20-2010, 06:52 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
I've had a lot of the common problems. I've fixed them all.
I would never sell it, especially for under 50. That's just wrong.
Mine is loved and not abused.
It's a member of the family.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by jjbravo
I've had a lot of the common problems. I've fixed them all.
I would never sell it, especially for under 50. That's just wrong.
Mine is loved and not abused.
It's a member of the family.
What are some of the "common problems" that you did end up fixing? $8000 for a new transmission after the 2nd gear pop out? Or nothing that major?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
They are expensive to maintain, but most of the serious gremlins show up in the first few years when new. Up until the 993, I never modded any of my previous Porsche and never had any major problems. Never even had to replace a clutch or brakes. I modded the 993 a fair amount. I had sychro issues but they occured under warranty. I replace the brakes once in 40K. So far the 996TT has been trouble free other than a speaker replaced under warranty. Modifications on these cars is the significant cost. CEL are a way of life with OBD2. I've had it come on in just about every OBD2 car I've owned. Its usually something simple like not tighning the gas car enough, a bad sensor, or worst case the MAF. If you're the OCD type, a Porsche is not for you. Stick with a Honda, you'll sleep better at night.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Discouraged about 996tt purchase after browsing here