996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Fire Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Yep, you really need to seek the help of an attorney. Also, the faster that you can gather physical evidence, the better. Do not let your car sit out too long w/o first getting the root cause as to why it caught fire.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Ray, FWIW there is talk of a recall on certain '03996TT's for power steering-leak fires, check out rennlist on this.
Chris
BTW, love the lip.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
More and more, companies like Porsche will realize that negative publicity is going to hurt them. The power of messageboards like this is getting the word out to people in the know, like us. I'm sure most of us are people who others look to for car advice. As an aside, while reading an article on the forthcoming C6 Z06, a GM rep is quoted as saying that tracking your car won't void your warranty. It's about time someone steps up and lets a car be used like it was intended without hiding behind every excuse in the book when a warranty issue comes up. Shame on Porsche and good for GM.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Ray M is infamous around these parts
Appreciate the comments guys...

My father is a tax attorney and sent a couple letters to Porsche regarding the matter on his letterhead to no avail. We are going to speak with a litigator before all is said and done.

If anyone is familiar with an attorney who is well versed in dealing with automobile manufacturers, please PM me with their name or contact info.

Regarding the cause of the fire, my insurance company hired an automobile forensic firm to investigate the origin. They determined the fire was definitely caused by a fluid leak which ignited on the hot exhaust or turbocharger. They are aware of the recall and have extensive photographs of the car, engine, etc. As I previously mentioned, my car exhibited abnormal fluid leaks since virtually new. I have documentation proving the car was serviced for a hydraulic leak on at least two different occasions. At the first visit, a part was replaced and the fluid topped off. On the second visit, the fluid was simply topped off. In the weeks leading up to the fire, a leak began again and I started seeing some fluid on the floor of my garage. Finally, and sadly, I had an appointment to take the car in to diagnose this leak on the Monday after the fire, which occurred on a Friday.

Given my Turbo’s pristine condition at the time of the fire (multiple PCA Concours wins) and the fact that I special ordered the car new with $20,000+ in factory options, I would not even be interested in a swap into another 2002. Originally I wanted the car to be replaced with a new Turbo ordered to the same specs, now I don’t even know if I want one….

Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 AM
khaiser is infamous around these parts
If you are not able to get Porsche to pay up, does insurance cover it?? I hope so.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Yes, but if the car gets totaled by my insurance company, I have to subrogate my rights to sue Porsche to them.

I have been told they would definitely sue Porsche to cover the claim...

Old 01-14-2005, 10:14 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Red Devil
More and more, companies like Porsche will realize that negative publicity is going to hurt them. The power of messageboards like this is getting the word out to people in the know, like us. I'm sure most of us are people who others look to for car advice. As an aside, while reading an article on the forthcoming C6 Z06, a GM rep is quoted as saying that tracking your car won't void your warranty. It's about time someone steps up and lets a car be used like it was intended without hiding behind every excuse in the book when a warranty issue comes up. Shame on Porsche and good for GM.

good step considering GM red tagged people that tracked their cars. There was a thread years ago about a group or autoxrs that all got flagged by GM

Old 01-14-2005, 10:18 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
from reading this thread, it sounds like you have a no brainer case against porsche. DO NOT LET UP!

Old 01-26-2005, 09:47 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the thread Ray. I had a fire extinquisher installed as a result.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
I'm still confussed as to why you are "out $50k" on the deal. Your ins should be paying you out replacement cost or actual value depending on the terms of your policy. Either way you should walk with an amount close to what you paid less depreciation. do you have a $50k deductable or something? Sorry, but I'm definately missing something....

and subrogating your right to sue doesn't mean you no longer have right to any claim, it just means that your insurance co piggybacks on your rights in order to aquire the standing necessary to file their own claims against porsche....you can still seek to recover any difference in actual loss and insurance compensation. In fact if the ins co prevails, you will have a pretty easy case afterwards....

dave w

Old 01-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by DAVE W
[B]I'm still confussed as to why you are "out $50k" on the deal. Your ins should be paying you out replacement cost or actual value depending on the terms of your policy. Either way you should walk with an amount close to what you paid less depreciation. do you have a $50k deductable or something? Sorry, but I'm definately missing something....
/B]
If I had purchased the car used like many people, I would not be in this situation.

Unfortunately, I bought the car new for MSRP of $136k at the time when there was still luxury tax. My 'out the door' cost was way up there. Now the insurance pay off is $90 to $100k. Don't really feel the need to have explained this to you, but there is the $50k hit I would have otherwise not taken at this point....

Old 01-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Ray M
If I had purchased the car used like many people, I would not be in this situation.

Unfortunately, I bought the car new for MSRP of $136k at the time when there was still luxury tax. My 'out the door' cost was way up there. Now the insurance pay off is $90 to $100k. Don't really feel the need to have explained this to you, but there is the $50k hit I would have otherwise not taken at this point....
Believe me Ray, I feel your pain - primarily as a result of the schitty treatment you've recieved. However, I think if they put you back to where you were before the fire - ie: the same model and year car with the same options, mileage, etc, I don't think you're financially out anything. Rather, what you are out is the couple of months without it and all the bullschit you had to go through just to get what was owed you.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Ben, your point is well taken and I respect your opinon on the subject. However, I disagree that replacing my car with another '02 would be an appropriate solution.

Two years ago I ordered a new Porsche to my custom specification, with the intention of keeping it for the next 5 years. As I mentioned earlier, it has been babied since I took delivery and has won multiple PCA Concours. Just the week before the fire I had a friend comment on how 'it still smelled new,' and it really did. Replacing it with a used Turbo that someone else has been abusing for last two years is not something in which I am interested in the least bit. This is exactly what my dealership wanted me to do, have my insurance carrier 'total' the car and take the $90k and go buy a used one. Why should I have to do this after my car was destroyed because of Porsche's defect?

Old 01-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Ben, your point is well taken and I respect your opinon on the subject. However, I disagree that replacing my car with another '02 would be an appropriate solution.

Two years ago I ordered a new Porsche to my custom specification, with the intention of keeping it for the next 5 years. As I mentioned earlier, it has been babied since I took delivery and has won multiple PCA Concours. Just the week before the fire I had a friend comment on how 'it still smelled new,' and it really did. Replacing it with a used Turbo that someone else has been abusing for last two years is not something in which I am interested in the least bit. This is exactly what my dealership wanted me to do, have my insurance carrier 'total' the car and take the $90k and go buy a used one. Why should I have to do this after my car was destroyed because of Porsche's defect?

Ray, I completely understand how you feel. People who buy new cars often do it for a reason. There is no way I would want another if I were in your position after having been treated as Porsche has treated you given the whole incident was a result of a known defect. That said, while it would likely take a little time to find, there are a lot of 02/03 turbos out there which are low mileaged examples, bone stock, considered a part of the owners family, and treated as such. But again, why on earth would you want another? What if it had been in your garage and your home burned down? What if your family was inside? What other life threatening defects do they not know about - or know about?

Last edited by ben, lj; 01-27-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:54 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold

Ahhh, that makes more sense. So the $50k is really the same depreciation and taxes that we all have (or will have) lost on our cars over the first few years of ownership. ie, if you had sold the car the day before it was burned you still would have not recovered this outlay....so its more a "cost of ownership" than a loss, actually. But I feel your pain, my car has depcreciated too, and the MSRP was a bit more to boot. A rider on your policy covering an appriased or claimed value would have avoided much of this...otherwise you only contracted for replacement cost, which everyone should be aware far in advance is less then they paid when new.

I am an attorney with significant experience in automotive related claims, and I happen to be in Boston. I "don't really feel the need to" offer you any advice....but I'm happy to assist where I can if you want to drop me an email or a PM....

best of luck...
davew

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Fire Update