996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K-Sport coilovers for 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yllwturbo
it was less then 3 years for sure.
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
AMS
Former Vendor
AMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Hi Martin,

Well said and very true. Let me ask you this question, what happens to the folks that don't really track but want a stiffer, lower car?

These coilovers are NOT for the hardcore tracker I will be very upfront about that. These are great for the occasional tracker maybe once a couple months.

You suggest lowering springs. These paired with OE shocks you get a horrible ride. Then if you want to put the OE springs back, you've got bump stops that have been cut.

Bottom line, the coilovers you mentioned are very expensive and not geared towards everyone. I'm just trying to provide a product that I know is good quality and suited for daily driving/occasional track use.

Michael
Acute Performance
Sounds like lowering springs offer a horrible ride because they lower the car so much that the stock dampers run out of compression travel (hit the internal bump stops) and you get slammed on high speed bumps. I would think that with correct lowering springs (height reduction and rate) you should be ok but maybe nobody offers these or the stock dampers don't have enough bump travel to allow for this.

I think the KW V3's are $3700 complete kit retail and the JRZ RS Line starts in the high $3G range also. If I was buying a $45-$50K car I would spend the extra $1500-$2000 on a nice quality suspension that offers a more comfortable ride and handles better on track.

-Martin

Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Ricie168 is infamous around these parts
The bottom line is that what you want out of the suspension....

I am pretty sure that daily driving will be ok...but not sure for track or full race. Really need to have a better understanding on how their shim designs.....

Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
any updates?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor
acuteperformance is infamous around these parts
i'm suppose to get the set on friday and install on saturday.

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by Duff0000
any updates?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
which spring rates did you go with?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor
6/9kg

Originally Posted by Blockhed
which spring rates did you go with?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
I think this thread will get interesting once the coilovers get installed, meanwhile I was thinking on H&R or PSS10's, which ones and why?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor
neither, trust me you want to wait unless you want to help me test out a set. i will be looking for partial sponsorships.

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by Frissen
I think this thread will get interesting once the coilovers get installed, meanwhile I was thinking on H&R or PSS10's, which ones and why?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:03 AM
onebadna1nsx is infamous around these parts
If you guys don't mind, I'd like to share my experience with KSport coilovers custom fitted on my 2001 3.5RL with you guys. I got the Legend Kontrol Pro's for ~$600- at that price, it was a steal!

I have had KSports on my car for two years now (Bought them in May of 2008). I played with the height a bit, lowering it twice during the install. After I found the perfect height, I did not touch the coilovers again. Driving wise, there was a drastic change in handling, of course... it went from super insecure and boaty to a very responsive, very planted car. It was quite stiff in the rear though, but it was bearable... I'd say it is just a bit harsher than my Cayenne. I ran into no real issues until December of 2009. I got new wheels so I was going to drop the car a bit more, but when I tried to lower the car, one of the bottom mounts my rear shock was stuck. I ended up pulling the whole rear coilover out and tried to loosen the bottom mount using wd40, and brake cleaner- to no luck. Along with the help of a shop, and a 300+ pound man, we managed to get the bottom mount to move a bit....How? We put the shock in a vice grip, and used a monkey wrench and a piece of pipe.

Here's what I found:

^ This was after two hours of a 300 lbs man using all his might to turn it. The coilover started to spin in the vice grip after tightening the hell out of it, so we quit.

It looks like rust....

I was quite irritated with this, because I was outside of their one year warranty. I called, and talked to a rep, asked for a quote. If I remember right, the cost of one whole replacement was ~$350-400. Considering the price I got it for, I was not going to buy a replacement. I ended up asking for a loyalty discount, and ended up getting a replacement shock, lower mount, and spring perch for $229 shipped to my door. They gave me the new version of their coilover so I was able to make a quick comparison.

New one on the Left, old one on the right.

Notice the hole? I'm assuming it's to let any water or moisture in the bottom mount to come out.

Compare this one with the one below:

Quite a big difference. I must say. The new generation seems like it has advanced quite a bit, but I guess time will tell.

Anyways, my only other gripe besides the seizing of the bottom mount for reasons I do not know, the bushings in the bottom mount suck- After one year all of them are almost completely worn. It's not that big of a deal though.

Anyways as a public service announcement, I'd like to remind you guys to lubricate your coilovers from time to time. Maybe if I had greased them beforehand I would not have had a seized bottom mount. It still doesn't make sense because I did not cross-thread the mount. Freak accident I guess you can say. I cleaned off all four of my coilovers using WD40, and then spraying white lithium grease, and it's smooth as butter! I haven't had problems since *crosses fingers*.

By the way, I ended up messing with the height afterwards, and found that the Ksports put my car on the ground... I could lay the frame on the ground, and the coilovers could still go lower .

Anyways, that's my experience. Please do let us know how the Ksports go for you.

Eric

Old 06-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Former Vendor
Hi,

I recommend to all my customers that if you purchase these, remember to every other month or so to wipe down any grime/grease/etc that builds up over time and spray some silicon lubricate. These are NOT like your OE suspension components where you can just forget about them. You must maintain and take care of them for long term use. Also, KSport has recently changed their warranty from 12 months to 18 months.

Michael
Acute Performance

Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 AM
onebadna1nsx is infamous around these parts
Hi,

I recommend to all my customers that if you purchase these, remember to every other month or so to wipe down any grime/grease/etc that builds up over time and spray some silicon lubricate. These are NOT like your OE suspension components where you can just forget about them. You must maintain and take care of them for long term use. Also, KSport has recently changed their warranty from 12 months to 18 months.

Michael
Acute Performance
Wow, every other month? I thought it would be okay to just do it every half-year . Would you recommend using silicon lubricate over white lithium grease? Nice to hear about the warranty extension, too!

Eric

Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 AM
tripp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by myfootsmells
i'm manning up and will be trying the ksports.

michael
Maybe I missed the post, but did you get the Ksports installed?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Hi Martin,

Well said and very true. Let me ask you this question, what happens to the folks that don't really track but want a stiffer, lower car?

These coilovers are NOT for the hardcore tracker I will be very upfront about that. These are great for the occasional tracker maybe once a couple months.

You suggest lowering springs. These paired with OE shocks you get a horrible ride. Then if you want to put the OE springs back, you've got bump stops that have been cut.

Bottom line, the coilovers you mentioned are very expensive and not geared towards everyone. I'm just trying to provide a product that I know is good quality and suited for daily driving/occasional track use.

Michael
Acute Performance

Hi Michael,

Why is it that you say these are not for "the hardcore tracker". Currently I would not say I am a "hardcore tracker" by any means, but I do plan on trying to attend more driving events, and would like suspension that I can grow into with more seat time.

Are the Ksports more of an appearance mod then a performance one, or am I misreading your statement?

thanks
Tripp

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by 997xpress
You can always have Bilsteins rebuilt - all four for about $500. direct from Bilstein.
Are you referring to the PSS9's or the HD's? Is there a web site that you recommend checking out to see these?

thanks
Tripp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K-Sport coilovers for 996TT