996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K-Sport coilovers for 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Kevganzon is infamous around these parts
Wow, im curious to see how these come out. I'm too am a owner who wants a lil bit of performance and aesthetics upgrade. I never really track the car but do go on spirited drives. I originally started this thread and never got around to seeing how these turned out. Glad to see someone out there testing them out. If they quality has improved over the previous gen Ksport coilovers, i may go this route.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Former Vendor
acuteperformance is infamous around these parts
They are definitely a lot better than before. If you're interested, I have a couple sets coming in next week.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by Kevganzon
Wow, im curious to see how these come out. I'm too am a owner who wants a lil bit of performance and aesthetics upgrade. I never really track the car but do go on spirited drives. I originally started this thread and never got around to seeing how these turned out. Glad to see someone out there testing them out. If they quality has improved over the previous gen Ksport coilovers, i may go this route.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really nice
Michael,

Completely understood. For the price point, it makes a lot of sense to get a set of adjustable shocks/springs. For the problem of lowering, the solution of adjustability versus just lowering springs with shocks is a no brainer. Ride comfort & performance is not for everyone. We both know that it doesn't cost much to produce the components, it's the engineering & support that costs the most amount of money. What's the warranty like?

It's honorable of you to test it out & provide an honest opinion.

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Hi Sam,

I was really looking for a way to cost effectively lower my car w/o going the springs route. I absolutely hate how springs ride when coupled w/ the OE shocks. I occasionally go to the track, maybe a few times a year.

I'm sure there are a lot of members that fit this profile, ones who can afford the more expensive coilovers but choose not to and want a cost effective method to lower the car/adjust rebound and that's what I'm trying to provide.

However, unlike other vendors, I'm willing to eat my own dog food and test it on my very own car and give an honest impression.

Michael
Acute Performance

Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor
18 month warranty through KSport USA in AZ.

Originally Posted by speedplay
Michael,

Completely understood. For the price point, it makes a lot of sense to get a set of adjustable shocks/springs. For the problem of lowering, the solution of adjustability versus just lowering springs with shocks is a no brainer. Ride comfort & performance is not for everyone. We both know that it doesn't cost much to produce the components, it's the engineering & support that costs the most amount of money. What's the warranty like?

It's honorable of you to test it out & provide an honest opinion.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Let's see the car!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Former Vendor
photo shoot planned for this week.

michael

Old 06-21-2010, 04:16 PM
LO_996tt is infamous around these parts
If they do move down inside the sleeve to adjust height, then they seem to be a step ahead of PSS versions in their design.** Also it appears that one gets more flexibility vs PSS:

1. greater camber adjustments via pillow top camber plates
2. they are top-side adjustable
3. include adjustable droplinks, etc.

**This assumes the insert last, don't leak and other component are good quality in general.

Curious--if they slide down why then do the springs need to be adjusted once the height is set? Is there a pre-load of the spring that needs to happen after height adjustment?

This is why I always thought the bilstein setup was going to be inconsistent in travel and compression. If you lower the car the spring uncompresses to its most "unsprung" state, but if you raise the car you are compressing the spring and "pre-loading" to a random compression rate. I realize that is what the tenders try to compensate for, but it seems to be an inexact compromise.

With this style, sliding height independent of spring pre-loads, it seems you can get a more consistent spring compression because the height does not affect pre-load of the springs. Correct?

I am not try to be an advocate for these--just put PSS9's on my car--but it appears that this is worth testing and more eval.

As more turbos age they will become accessible to more and more drivers wanting options for street applications. I am curious how the drive and real word testing turns out.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor
You don't have to adjust the springs after the height is set. You never touch the springs.

Yes you're correct, using this method you get a consistent spring compression which is better.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by LO_996tt
Curious--if they slide down why then do the springs need to be adjusted once the height is set? Is there a pre-load of the spring that needs to happen after height adjustment?

With this style, sliding height independent of spring pre-loads, it seems you can get a more consistent spring compression because the height does not affect pre-load of the springs. Correct?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Are the springs linear or progressive rate?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor
linear. most coilover setups that i know are all linear. you can tell by the diameter of the spring

Originally Posted by VAGscum
Are the springs linear or progressive rate?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:14 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Some of the H&R coilvers are progressive. Not sure about the PSS9s or 10s.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor
Hmm, you're right but I think that's because you can't adjust rebound on them.

Originally Posted by VAGscum
Some of the H&R coilvers are progressive. Not sure about the PSS9s or 10s.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Please include in the pics entire installation so we know how this goes.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor
it's already been installed. didn't get pics of the installation as it's pretty straight forward. only thing you have to keep in mind is the height adjustment is NOT done by compressing or loosening the spring.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Hmm, you're right but I think that's because you can't adjust rebound on them.
Good point. I never thought about that part.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K-Sport coilovers for 996TT