996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K-Sport coilovers for 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Former Vendor
acuteperformance is infamous around these parts
that's it? after giving me such a hard time?

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by Frissen
nice drop, nice pic...

Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Kevganzon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by acuteperformance
No they fit out the box. No modifications needed. Why do other companies require it?

Michael
Acute Performance
I've installed K Sports on a Subaru STi and the top camber adjustment bolts ran into the frame of the car which made it unable to set any negative camber. The only position the camber adjustment allowed would be a POSITIVE camber. I had to carve out the frame to allow the camber adjustment to bring at least to ZERO setting. After that i was not happy.

So thats why i ask about the fitment on these on a 996TT

Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Former Vendor
Ahh I know what you mean. My camber is set at -0.6 and if I wanted to I could set the camber bolts to their proper location. Don't forget the OE suspension also allows some room for camber adjustments so you should be fine.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by Kevganzon
I've installed K Sports on a Subaru STi and the top camber adjustment bolts ran into the frame of the car which made it unable to set any negative camber. The only position the camber adjustment allowed would be a POSITIVE camber. I had to carve out the frame to allow the camber adjustment to bring at least to ZERO setting. After that i was not happy.

So thats why i ask about the fitment on these on a 996TT

Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor
I have a couple sets in my hands right now ready to ship. Still looking to sponsor someone.

Review from a 996 owner
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2898918

Michael
Acute Performance

Old 07-09-2010, 06:07 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
A friend of mine was given a set of suspension to run on his Scooby at Time Attack here in the UK, I don't think he ever ran them, the only thing they were good for was the bucket... To even consider them on a level with the likes of Bilstein, KW, Moton, JRZ is laughable.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Former Vendor
I appreciate your concern for fellow enthusiasts, but may I ask how long ago was this and how can he make a judgment without even trying them?

Michael
Acute Performance

Old 07-09-2010, 06:29 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
He did try them (Practice sessions)... just didn't race with them...

BOING BOING BOING BOING

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Former Vendor
lol i guarantee 100% he didn't adjust the ride height correctly because all the coilovers that you just listed adjust height completely different than the ksports. for the ksports, you turn the entire shock assembly down to lower whereas the other brands you turn the collar and compress the spring.

like i mentioned earlier, that's why i like ksports so much, adjusting the height won't screw with the shock travel/rate.

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
He did try them (Practice sessions)... just didn't race with them...

BOING BOING BOING BOING

Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Michael... no disrespect, but does it not tell you something when you are selling them for around $1k and also advertising "KSport Coilovers Sponsoree Needed!"... you could give these away and I still wouldn't run them... IMHO to push that rubbish onto our lovely P cars is embarrassing to say the least... Acute are supplying some great product but you should do yourself a favor.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
BTW... It takes time getting a good set up, I don't want to be rotating struts like JIC also have, if you have someone who is dedicated, capable and an understanding of suspension and setting the car up you will choose the correct spring lengths and rates for the appropriate ride height.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Former Vendor
no disrespect at all. all i ask is for you to have an open mind. you're use to things working one way and assume that's automatically correct and everything is inferior. here's an explanation on why your friend had bouncy coilovers.

How To Adjust Height on KSport Coilovers vs Others

Others
To adjust the height on most other coilover systems you would loosen Ring B and then Ring A so the spring will fall lower causing the car to drop. The adjust heigher you would loosen Ring B and turn Ring A upwards compressing the spring. The problem with this is (1) you change the spring rate and travel and (2) if the spring is loose, it will be very noisy when you turn the steering wheel. To solve this issue, manf. will use what are called helper springs. See picture below:

See that 2nd spring at the bottom of the 1st spring? This helper spring pushes the top spring so when you lower it won't clunk around.

KSport

On KSports, to lower the car, you turn Ring C upwards and turn the entire shock body into the bottom portion, D. This shortens the entire coilover assembly making the car lower. To raise the car, you turn the entire shock body so it extends the shock and then use Ring C to lock it into place. Using this method (1) you don't lose spring travel because you never compress/decompress the spring and (2) no clunking because the spring is loose.

I'm almost 100% certain your buddy did it the "OTHER" way which is why it was bouncy. Had he given them a 2nd chance and figured out how to do it properly they wouldn't bounce. Trust me, I have these on my 996 TT and there is no bounce. Various 5 series owners are using it no bounce. A resident 996 is running it with no bounce.

Does this all make sense?

Michael
Acute Performance

Last edited by acuteperformance; 07-09-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor
couldn't agree with you more, but you have to admit, not everyone gets their 996TT for track purposes nor has the time/money to invest in getting it done right.

i'm not claiming that the ksports are the best ever but the value to performance ratio is excellent.

michael
acute performance

BTW... It takes time getting a good set up, I don't want to be rotating struts like JIC also have, if you have someone who is dedicated, capable and an understanding of suspension and setting the car up you will choose the correct spring lengths and rates for the appropriate ride height.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Michael.. trust me, I know how suspension works

Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Former Vendor
and i do trust you but what i'm saying is oh nevermind. just don't trash the product without having first hand experience.

michael
acute performance

Michael.. trust me, I know how suspension works

Old 07-09-2010, 07:13 PM
couldn't agree with you more, but you have to admit, not everyone gets their 996TT for track purposes nor has the time/money to invest in getting it done right.
Totally agree with you

i'm not claiming that the ksports are the best ever but the value to performance ratio is excellent.

michael
acute performance
mmmmmmm! might have to disagree here though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K-Sport coilovers for 996TT