996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K-Sport coilovers for 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Kevganzon is infamous around these parts
K-Sport coilovers for 996TT

Has anyone here ever have experience with K-sport coilovers? The MSRP is at $1600 but i'm sure you can get them cheaper.

http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/coilovers_detail.asp?product_id=cd01

I'm also wondering if these will have problems with PSM...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-23-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
my friend had these on his RX7 and they were very good, and another friend has them on his MKV VW and also likes them a lot. they offer adjustability that some of the more expensive systems do not and they can also be ordered with custom springs rates. i believe you can get these for the Turbo for just over a $1000. i would def be interested in reading some reviews if anyone has them...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I considered them when I was looking for suspension. They look and sound great, but all the info I found on them was seemingly negative (you get what you pay for?). Initially everyone loves them, but they seem to not last long and develop leaks? I ended up finding a very reasonably priced set of PSS9's instead. Do your homework. Search other car forums and see what others have to say.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
I considered them when I was looking for suspension. They look and sound great, but all the info I found on them was seemingly negative (you get what you pay for?). Initially everyone loves them, but they seem to not last long and develop leaks? I ended up finding a very reasonably priced set of PSS9's instead. Do your homework. Search other car forums and see what others have to say.
So they've leaked on other applications?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevganzon
So they've leaked on other applications?
That's what I read, and that's why I chickened out...They may be better now, but I don't want to find out. For the same $1200-$1600, you can buy a quality used set of coilovers. PSS9, KW etc...

Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
That's what I read, and that's why I chickened out...They may be better now, but I don't want to find out. For the same $1200-$1600, you can buy a quality used set of coilovers. PSS9, KW etc...
I wonder why would anyone sell their used set of KW's or Bilsteins if they're what i hear they are?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Kevganzon
I wonder why would anyone sell their used set of KW's or Bilsteins if they're what i hear they are?
A lot of guys migrate into road racing and buy Motons etc... Bilsteins are a great road coilover but seem to be lacking for actual racing applications. I mostly wanted them to lower my car as it looked like a 4x4, but the high speed handing of the factory coilover is atrocious. I was fearing for my life when I was readying for the Mile last year. Luckily a forum member stepped up and helped me out. They are a bit rough on the butt on bumpy roads, but handle WAY better and look WAY better than stock.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:24 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
The older K-sports had issues with leaking early. They have since fixed many of these issues. For ~$1000, they are worth a try. If you don't like them you can put the stockers back on and sell the K-sports. The other positive is that the K-Sports can be rebuilt unlike many of the H&Rs and other systems. I think somebody should man up and try these bad boys

Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
You could still be taking your chances with buying a used set of quality coilovers. At least if you buy the K-Sports new and from a dealer that is brick & mortar, not web based, you have a better chance of returning and warranty.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by VAGscum
The older K-sports had issues with leaking early. They have since fixed many of these issues. For ~$1000, they are worth a try. If you don't like them you can put the stockers back on and sell the K-sports. The other positive is that the K-Sports can be rebuilt unlike many of the H&Rs and other systems. I think somebody should man up and try these bad boys
Originally Posted by PacMan Z
You could still be taking your chances with buying a used set of quality coilovers. At least if you buy the K-Sports new and from a dealer that is brick & mortar, not web based, you have a better chance of returning and warranty.

I absolutely agree with both points. I wasn't man enough at the time. Being in a different place, I might try them now.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
I just went through this with a set of H&R and I bought them used.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I want coilovers now but not sure if i want to put down $3k for them. Buying Bilstein's or H&R's used i'll risk getting a bad set that the previous owner wasnt happy about like what VAGscum pointed out.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Buying used coils can be a hassle too. If I was to buy used coils I would only want to buy from the first owner and see receipt as coils can get passsed around like that one girl in highschool lol and you really don't know what you are getting.

I also heard that K-sport issues have been fixed. Heck I may even try them on my car. If they work - you truly do get ALOT for your money with drop and the adjustability they offer. Stock suspesnion just does not feel stable enough for me at high speeds. I used to regularly hit 160 on my E55, 996 scares me after 140 lol.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I will never purchase a set of coilovers that cannot be rebuilt. My friend had one of his H&Rs blow and he purchased the car with them on it. They would not replace the blown shock, nor would they rebuild them. They told him he had to replace all four coilovers with new ones. I think Koni's, Penske, Ohlin and Moton are the top suspension people. Bilsteins are hit and miss. I would like to see a thorough test of the new K-sports.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I could have replaced the blown strut in my coilover but in the end i'm still riding on 3 coilovers that could be just as bad, only time would tell. I am currently looking at either K-Sport or D2 Racing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K-Sport coilovers for 996TT