996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is there a reason why 90% of turbo's are silver?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Is there a reason why 90% of turbo's are silver?!

Pretty much every single one of them I see is silver?! I know it's the most low maintenance color on a car but IMO, also the most boring. Is there a reason why there are so many of them? I thought colors were customized to the buyer's taste?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Silver was the most popular car color in the 996 era. Not just P-cars. All cars. If fell victim too. I had a 2006 M5....silver

http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/11/pf/autos/colors/

Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Well, it just seems like it's particularly bad with the 996 TT. I think every one of them I see is silver, it's strange. The 997 is definitely better.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUCIANO136
Pretty much every single one of them I see is silver?! I know it's the most low maintenance color on a car but IMO, also the most boring. Is there a reason why there are so many of them? I thought colors were customized to the buyer's taste?

huh ? what do you mean

silver is a popular color, if you search you'll find the numbers made for all the colors, i have seen more black than silver cars

Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by buzzm
[/b]

huh ? what do you mean

silver is a popular color, if you search you'll find the numbers made for all the colors, i have seen more black than silver cars
Well, I once asked what the available colors were and someone told me you could pretty much get whichever color you wanted?

I'm still waiting to see one in metallic blue for example...

Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
They must've used silver paint to paint them. Why are there so many orange RS's?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by earlierapex
They must've used silver paint to paint them. Why are there so many orange RS's?
Sorry, but the RS is more of a unique car than the turbo. That's kind of like saying why are there so many red Ferraris.

It's just an observation. Just wondering why. Maybe other colors were an upgrade and more expensive or there was some other reason?

I looked at the ones for sale in my neighborhood and all of them are silver.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Well, I once asked what the available colors were and someone told me you could pretty much get whichever color you wanted?

thats correct but they have standard colors, if you want your own custom color there is a big upcharge, a lot of car companies offer this

Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by buzzm
thats correct but they have standard colors, if you want your own custom color there is a big upcharge, a lot of car companies offer this
Gotcha.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
As a side note, I don't mean to offend anyone with a silver turbo. Tastes differ

Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
Might have to do with racing colors. The traditional racing color for Germany is silver, that's why you might see more German cars in that color.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
My car resembles that remark!

It gets plenty of attention and is beautiful when polished up. The little imperfection on the paint from rock chips and such being a DD are almost hidden at 5 or 6' away.
You can do a lot w/ it as a base if you want to make it a 2 or 3 tone color car.
Heck, even the headlights have grown on me.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
You rang? Custom color that the PO paid to have painted on this car from the factory. That's why I bought it. I didn't want silver, black, or grey either because there are too many of them.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
I actually shopped for a silver one. The ones around me at the time were black and yellow.
LOVE the silver. It's what I expect a Porsche to look like too... kind of like expecting a Ferarri to be red.
Thankfully, to each his own. The world would be very boring if it was all the same.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
You rang? Custom color that the PO paid to have painted on this car from the factory. That's why I bought it. I didn't want silver, black, or grey either because there are too many of them.
Oh, I like it!! Do you have any more pics?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a reason why 90% of turbo's are silver?!