996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche Tuner Survey...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:53 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Buddy,

I tried to say the same thing, but yours came out a little better!!

Old 09-30-2003, 11:49 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
deanger,

I think you bring up a valid point for those that do not and will not track their cars. It is apparent many people have a lot of experience on the track and often strive for more HP which equates to better times(hopefully) I think that you address that well and agree with upgrades for those people. I am not one of these people. I upgraded my car becuase I could and I wanted to. I guess I like that fact that I do not have an "average" Porsche turbo. I like that mine is different. Do I have enough experience to use all of the original 415hp to the fullest, probably not, which would mean The extra 90hp will probably never be used to its full potential either. But, to me that's not the point. It's my car and I enjoyed the entire upgrade process. I like that I can feel a performance difference even if only for 5 seconds. I am not one of these guys who races around in traffic and puts other people in danger so I really do not see the harm in my upgrades. I do understand the type of person that you are referring and if it puts me in danger, I can see your point. I just hope I am not one of the people you are referring to. Take care.

-Lou

Old 09-30-2003, 11:57 AM
996twin is infamous around these parts
there is no substitute for RUF. the original, "often imitated, never duplicated." the art of engineering

Old 09-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Ruf is a great tuner. But what do they really do under the hood?

A pair of turbos, ECU, exhaust and intake system. So I don't really see what the big deal is.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely buy a Ruf VIN# R Turbo if I had gratuitous cash lying around.

But the real question is, would I ever swap my setup for an R Turbo? Even a Nardo setup? The answer is no, or else I would have done this already.

As good a tuner as Ruf is, their products have been race proven by only a few people, such as Ruf Racer and Steve Beddor. Even these guys are pushing the envelope for Ruf products, in my humble opinion of course. If you think somehow that a Ruf R Turbo can run a 24H enduro without requiring some kind of overhaul, you are fooling yourself.

Ruf are great road cars, not race cars. I am sure Alois Ruf would be the first to admit this.

The problem with some of us enthusiasts is that we don't realize the compromises we are making as we go through the various stages of tuning with our Turbos. I see people here running more and more boost without redoing all the internals of their motors and frankly, that would scare me. In fact, it has.

If I lived in Germany and had access to the Ring on a regular basis, the tuner I would choose is Manthey Racing. As far as I am concerned they have more racing pedigree with the 996 than almost anybody.

As for me, since I like to "drive" my cars, I am even thinking of turning down the boost myself for a truly reliable 100,000 mile motor. I already know that at 1.2 bar I can outrun almost anything in a straight line, including a Ruf.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally posted by buddyg
If you do not have driving skill that should be your first "mod". Take your stock car and go to a Porsche DE event and learn. .........

I mod because I can and want to and I do it for me and no one else. I am not into who has the most hp or blah, blah, blah. My car will be the ultimate expression of what "I" want the Porsche 996 turbo to be.

Amen, halleleulah (sp) and thank the good Lord for giving us Porsche's!!
Well said. That is exactly why I am remaining stock. My skill level does not warrant anymore power. But I certainly can agree that your skill level and that of others can warrant the increased power.

I think some get crazy from the hp wars that really have no purpose.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:18 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
In answer the the original question, before the thread was jacked...

In case anyone still cares about the original thread at this point , I'd throw in my vote for the the EVO/PES/IA crew as the best tuners in terms of bang for the buck - whether you are talking HP, handling, braking, etc.

Upsolute is fine as long as you are going with stage 1. Anything beyond that, they're not much help.

Ruf does really, really nice work. But, the original poster asked about "bang for the buck". In this regard, Ruf loses out IMO due to pricing.

-Donn

Old 09-30-2003, 01:21 PM
JamE55 is infamous around these parts
Re: In answer the the original question, before the thread was jacked...

Originally posted by racer63
In case anyone still cares about the original thread at this point , I'd throw in my vote for the the EVO/PES/IA crew as the best tuners in terms of bang for the buck - whether you are talking HP, handling, braking, etc.

Upsolute is fine as long as you are going with stage 1. Anything beyond that, they're not much help.

Ruf does really, really nice work. But, the original poster asked about "bang for the buck". In this regard, Ruf loses out IMO due to pricing.

-Donn
Appreciate your feedback racer!

Old 09-30-2003, 02:21 PM
996twin is infamous around these parts
Hamann7 what do you run in the quarter mile. I agree RUF is too expensive.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:23 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
"I already know that at 1.2 bar I can outrun almost anything in a straight line, including a Ruf."

and what happens when you go around a corner?

i have nothing against more performance; i am talking to Ruf. but gt2 is alot already; it's almost the perfect hillcliimb car - in the dry -. it is not however the perfect ORR car as it is inherently unstable at very high speed. it's just that off the shelf it's the best porsche has until CGT. and i flip or have flipped every 5-7 months which has made factory the answer.

but going to a mfr. like Ruf or a mod engr like Manthey only makes sense if i can still pound the car hard all the time and make no allowances for fragility or unreliability. as i've said before: i sold the 360 spider because i just could tell i would break it. Porsches are nigh bulletproof. I require a similarly bulletproof increased performance 4WD TT.

Right now i believe that is Ruf. i would like to hear from Buddy and others with high mile, hard driven performance rigs not so much on the performance, but on reliability and that maintainance is like a factory car...

Old 09-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Porsche Fiend
996twin: I have not run a timed quarter yet. I expect it will do low 11's or high 10's. According to Protomotive, one of their 996TT with only an ECU did 11sec flat.

Watt: What happens when I go around a corner?

I go around it quickly. It's called having a tuned suspension.

If you do a Ruf conversion without the Ruf suspension, it won't corner too well relative to its straightline performance.

How reliable or fragile your car is is a function of your driving style and maintenance habits. My maintenance is like a factory car, and with the exception of cracked headers, no problems in over 5000 miles and 18 months. At my power level, I do not believe anyone has logged more miles, as my car was to my knowledge the first car in California to use the Garretts (yes, even before CJV).

You don't really believe that no Ruf cars have ever had problems, do you?

Old 09-30-2003, 04:55 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I have clocked over 22K since Nov now with the one thing that will be the first to kill a motor. TQ. Nothing to date has been an issue other than my clutch. At 598RWTQ you can't expect any clutch to last terribly long. Although the last one has been pretty good. I DE and AutoX the car when I can. Several 10+hour trips and used daily. Driven in the snow and sitting in the rain as I speak.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 09-30-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Wizard of Oz.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:12 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Re: In answer the the original question, before the thread was jacked...

Originally posted by racer63
I wouldnt under estimate the power of the standard upsolute chip.....it's got more power than one might think. This was evident at the NJ/PA meet.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:17 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The best bang for your buck?

Up to 580 flywheel hp....Upsolute chip and Dave's exhaust
Up to 640 flywheel hp....Stage IV GT
Up to 700 flywheel hp....S Car Go Racing/Protomotive/Stage V ?
Up to 800 flywheel hp....S Car Go Racing

The bucks become irreleveant at 700 hp and above.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Porsche Fiend
chad, you might have a lot of bang, but I'm not sure you get much bang for buck as a mathematical ratio

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Tuner Survey...