996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Forum Wars Continued: GTR vs 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Well how about asking who I talked to, don't you guys work together? You say the last 6 months, I specifically said my last time in conversation with you guys was last Nov, which would put us around 6 months ago. Let's not act like this has been going on for years and you guys have built tons of motors, at least in these markets.

I mentioned that in my earlier post when I made the comment, so how about reading all the details before you hop in. If you guys JUST started doing this, more power to you, I'm sure you will be successful at it, but it still changes very little from my original statement.

Maybe a conference call in the morning to get the facts straight could help out a little bit. I'm only the messenger. I cannot help what I was told. I have zero reason to lie.
Since you want to continue pushing this, let's do that conference call Chevy with AMS and Switzer and let's compare the number of built motors and the number of blown motors between both shops since 2000. Since AMS is the top shop in the country and has nothing to hide, I'm sure they'll join in. We will then post the results and let all the facts out. In fact I'm sure Dave B. would love to join in as well since shops track this stuff pretty closely.

What time is good for you? I'm flexible until 130pm EST. I will PM you a conference #.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Chevy,

Con # and password sent. Looking forward to sharing the facts with the forum.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I'm thinking that Neil & AMS will pass. They aren't *****ing and moaning who is what. They are both doing what they do. It's a lose lose for both shops IMO to open up this can of worms.
In fact I'm sure both shops are probably wondering when both of you were put on payroll for PR.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Since you want to continue pushing this, let's do that conference call Chevy with AMS and Switzer and let's compare the number of built motors and the number of blown motors between both shops since 2000. Since AMS is the top shop in the country and has nothing to hide, I'm sure they'll join in. We will then post the results and let all the facts out. In fact I'm sure Dave B. would love to join in as well since shops track this stuff pretty closely.

What time is good for you? I'm flexible until 130pm EST. I will PM you a conference #.
You keep repeating statements that I have not said. When have I ever declared (rather than insinuated) that AMS is the best shop in the country? Obviously we can all guess, but no one has been to every tuner shop in the country, not even close, and can make a comparison across brands with any level of consistency or even consistent criteria.

My basis is on these things:

Won National Championships in their owns cars - Check
Broke Drag Racing and Road Racing records across the country - Check
Has customers doing the same thing - Check
Builds high quality vehicles for street and track - Check
Maintains quality with large Volume - Check
Understands chassis development for road racing and handling - Check

As far as I'm concerned, you cannot name several tuners that have done more for the enthusiast scene than AMS, they are as big as they are for a reason. Maybe not perfect, but they aren't exactly working with a GT1 block on a daily basis either.

It's quite possible that with the sacks in your hand you have limited your vision to something looking pretty under the hood and not looked at the total picture. But anyone who's been paying attention knows about AMS. And I will applaud them all day for taking on the low displacement 4 bangers and making them a force to be reckoned with.

Not only that, you continue to COMPLETELY ignore the rest of my comment as if it didn't exist. Perhaps I'm off on the engine building, but that is no fault of my own as I was told that DIRECTLY. But what about everything else???????? Or are you going to stick to the broken record?

Last edited by cjv; 04-29-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: deleted one derogatory word
Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
I'm thinking that Neil & AMS will pass. They aren't *****ing and moaning who is what. They are both doing what they do. It's a lose lose for both shops IMO to open up this can of worms.
In fact I'm sure both shops are probably wondering when both of you were put on payroll for PR.
No it's not when you have an excellent track record of building reliable projects and motors. Chevy brought it up, I'm sure Switzer is willing to put their motor program against his favorite shop at anytime. Tym just needs to get pissed off enough to put it out there but he has respect for everyone else out there regardless of their track record. I'm not on the payroll or part of any shop, so I have no problem posting motor builds / blow-ups.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:53 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You are the one to talk about respect, when you take a dump on any tuner mentioned in the same thread as Switzer. That's all I've been trying to say from the get go.......

I think there is a wide level of respect for Switzer here, but let you tell it all the other tuners should be banned and have their building set on fire. How about instead of getting the tuners involved, let's see how many tuners you've bashed during your switzer worshiping.

I think everyone here knows that too.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
You keep repeating statements that I have not said. When have I ever declared (rather than insinuated) that AMS is the best shop in the country? Obviously we can all guess, but no one has been to every tuner shop in the country, not even close, and can make a comparison across brands with any level of consistency or even consistent criteria.

My basis is on these things:

Won National Championships in their owns cars - Check
Broke Drag Racing and Road Racing records across the country - Check
Has customers doing the same thing - Check
Builds high quality vehicles for street and track - Check
Maintains quality with large Volume - Check
Understands chassis development for road racing and handling - Check

As far as I'm concerned, you cannot name several tuners that have done more for the enthusiast scene than AMS, they are as big as they are for a reason. Maybe not perfect, but they aren't exactly working with a GT1 block on a daily basis either.

It's quite possible that with the sacks in your hand you have limited your vision to something looking pretty under the hood and not looked at the total picture. But anyone who's been paying attention knows about AMS. And I will applaud them all day for taking on the low displacement 4 bangers and making them a force to be reckoned with.

Not only that, you continue to COMPLETELY ignore the rest of my comment as if it didn't exist. Perhaps I'm off on the engine building, but that is no fault of my own as I was told that DIRECTLY. But what about everything else???????? Or are you going to stick to the broken record?

You post so much untruths you can't keep track of all of it.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2819962

So are you now back pedaling? You're not even fun to respond to anymore. Do you even know Tym's background? He was running 10 second passes in his personal DSM in the mid 90's before AMS even opened its doors. Do you really not do any research before you post? You have like 6000 posts, are they all this inaccurate?

I never said AMS wasn't an enthusiast based shop. In fact, they are one of the most enthusiastic shops in the business! I love that.

But now it sounds like you want to compare shop accolades and records? I didn't realize we are changing topics and making this a dick measuring contest about who has more personal records. Tym over the years has racked up quite a few in multiple platforms - he just doesn't advertise them on HD videos every month.

This is about you talking untruths about Switzer's motor build history. So let's get on that conference call and compare number of motor builds and quality control over the years. We can go back to 2000, or stay more current. Up to you. Isn't that what you were all about Chevy? Let's compare motor programs. I'd like to stay on topic.

I'm heading out with some friends tonight. I suggest you take a break too and do some research before you post again.

Last edited by cjv; 04-29-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: replaced provocative words in bold
Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Ams has done very well in the Evo market( I live in Chicago and even had my Evo dyno tuned at their shop).... built many motors... but they are new in the Porsche scene... we all know that...

Switzer has done very well in the 997 market since they came out in 2007.. but likewise they are relatively new to the scene from what I gather... there are other companies that have been building and tuning 930s, 993s,996s and 997s for considerably longer then both companies mentioned....
My statement is not one of " who is better"... just looking at it from a global perspective...
BAck in 2004 there was a shootout of tuners and it was written up in a popular magazine... some of you older guys may know what I'm talking about...
The only two standing Strong( from the shootout) are the two that probably built and tuned more P cars then everyone else put together...... and one of them won the shootout...
The learning curve is steep... yet we have seen new tuners and shops do wonders as well...
just an observation....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
You are the one to talk about respect, when you take a dump on any tuner mentioned in the same thread as Switzer. That's all I've been trying to say from the get go.......

I think there is a wide level of respect for Switzer here, but let you tell it all the other tuners should be banned and have their building set on fire. How about instead of getting the tuners involved, let's see how many tuners you've bashed during your switzer worshiping.

I think everyone here knows that too.
I have made my views clear on Vivid's strengths and weaknesses (based on incorrect information and recently responded to a direct question about AMS. I answered that question based on facts, not listennig to videos or reading the forums. Something I suggest you try to do.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Ams has done very well in the Evo market( I live in Chicago and even had my Evo dyno tuned at their shop).... built many motors... but they are new in the Porsche scene... we all know that...

Switzer has done very well in the 997 market since they came out in 2007.. but likewise they are relatively new to the scene from what I gather... there are other companies that have been building and tuning 930s, 993s,996s and 997s for considerably longer then both companies mentioned....
My statement is not one of " who is better"... just looking at it from a global perspective...
BAck in 2004 there was a shootout of tuners and it was written up in a popular magazine... some of you older guys may know what I'm talking about...
The only two standing Strong( from the shootout) are the two that probably built and tuned more P cars then everyone else put together...... and one of them won the shootout...
The learning curve is steep... yet we have seen new tuners and shops do wonders as well...
just an observation....
markski
Tym has been around building innovative projects a lot longer than 2007. People who do not know him only see his presence in the Porsche scene under his current company. Come on Mark, you had an Evo. Do some research man!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM
You post so much untruths you can't keep track of all of it.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2819962

So are you now back pedaling? You're not even fun to respond to anymore. Do you even know Tym's background? He was running 10 second passes in his personal DSM in the mid 90's before AMS even opened its doors. Do you really not do any research before you post? You have like 6000 posts, are they all this inaccurate?

I never said AMS wasn't an enthusiast based shop. In fact, they are one of the most enthusiastic shops in the business! I love that.

But now it sounds like you want to compare shop accolades and records? I didn't realize we are changing topics and making this a dick measuring contest about who has more personal records. Tym over the years has racked up quite a few in multiple platforms - he just doesn't advertise them on HD videos every month.

This is about you talking untruths about Switzer's motor build history. So let's get on that conference call and compare number of motor builds and quality control over the years. We can go back to 2000, or stay more current. Up to you. Isn't that what you were all about Chevy? Let's compare motor programs. I'd like to stay on topic.

I'm heading out with some friends tonight. I suggest you take a break too and do some research before you post again.
What is that link to, I don't even have a post on that page.

What are you talking about, I don't even have a post on the page you linked.

Try again.

You obviously have ZERO objectivity when it comes to switzer, so rather than fuel your vendetta, I'll leave you till the next time someone actually compliments another tuner and you get all bent out of shape. If you can get at rep from each company on the phone, you let me know, but just like the rest of your nonsense I'm sure that's hot air too.

BTW do you massage their feet too?

Last edited by cjv; 04-29-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: hmmmm
Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
No it's not when you have an excellent track record of building reliable projects and motors. Chevy brought it up, I'm sure Switzer is willing to put their motor program against his favorite shop at anytime. Tym just needs to get pissed off enough to put it out there but he has respect for everyone else out there regardless of their track record. I'm not on the payroll or part of any shop, so I have no problem posting motor builds / blow-ups.
I'm not so sure... maybe I have missed judged Neil? He doesn't seem like a guy that wants to be a part of this. I think he is willing to put up is product and run it for times and such, but to get in this pissing match... If so then I don't know him as well as I think I do. Then again I don't want to step on Neil’s toes or pigeon hole him. I guess we will see.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 AM
What is that link to, I don't even have a post on that page.

What are you talking about, I don't even have a post on the page you linked.

Try again.

Everyone else could see your post....but since you wanted me to try again....

AMS IMO is one of the top if not the best IN THE COUNTRY. Tym can tune his butt off, but I don't think Swizter does half of the stuff that AMS does with fabrication, engine builds, chassis modification and actually kicking butt and taking names in their own cars. If I'm not mistaken Swizter may be purely bolt-on tuning. Not that there is anything wrong with that if he's one of the best at that single aspect. But you can't ignore the big picture.
You missed your own conference call this morning....

Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
I'm not so sure... maybe I have missed judged Neil? He doesn't seem like a guy that wants to be a part of this. I think he is willing to put up is product and run it for times and such, but to get in this pissing match... If so then I don't know him as well as I think I do. Then again I don't want to step on Neil’s toes or pigeon hole him. I guess we will see.
Switzer has nothing to hide and everything to gain by posting comparative build histories. I work in an industry where we publish transparent results/data. Frankly, if sponsors were required to do the same thing here, it would stop the spread of misinformation. But other than a couple shops on here, I doubt there would be a willingness to share that info. Too many skeletons out there.

The Supra shop I work closely with posted their 16 2JZ customer builds over the past 30 months with one failure to date due to a re-used oil pump that a cheap customer refused to buy new. 12 of these are making well over 1000hp and are actively racing/driving the cars. No other 'major' shop was willing to post their customer data - and for a reason. It pretty much stopped posts like Chevy in their tracks and kept threads factual.

That all being said, your read on Neil is correct. He is a much more polite guy than I am.

Last edited by OhioGT2; 04-30-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Eric@AMS
OhioGT2 and HeavyChevy,

I think I can speak for the guys at Switzer and ourselves that we really appreciate your enthusiasm and your pride for each of our respective shops. You guys are a loyal group However I Think its time that we just put this one to bed. I think we can agree that AMS Performance and Switzer are great shops to take your P-car or GT-R to.

Its Friday, lets all just have a drink and move on
Cool. Look forward to seeing you at Norwalk for Bushur's Sport Compact Event late May!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forum Wars Continued: GTR vs 996