996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Forum Wars Continued: GTR vs 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
I thought I would add this little ad for your viewing pleasure...lets pour more gas on the fire...go big or go home

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 PM
DocNrock is just really niceDocNrock is just really niceDocNrock is just really niceDocNrock is just really nice
I offered to go big...or go home. Who knows, maybe I'll go home.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
June 12th? Or may 12th?

I'm doing an event with Kailo "open track racing" on may 12th...

Originally Posted by DocNrock
Hey Guys-

Hey Enrique, thanks for answering my PM on NAGTROC. We can do this. Where are you located?

Will you be able to make Willow Springs June 12th and/or 13th? It should be fun. I'll be the first to admit I've only done 12 track days in my life, all with the GT-R, and all in the last year, so I understand how important the driver part of the equation is. It sounds like you might be quite the hot shoe. Nonetheless, I'll give it my best shot. Like I said in my PM, I have no attitude, and I'm just doing this for fun.

I represent only myself and my car; I do NOT represent NAGTROC nor have I been voted to represent the forum.

I just have an intake and turbo back exhaust, as well as sways and AP Racing rotors (this stock drilled rotors have a nasty habit of cracking) and Carbotech XP10 pads. My custom Cobb Access Port tune gets me 540 awhp compared to 425 awhp bone stock. My tires are the Dunlop SP600 DSST runflats and my suspension is completely OEM, with the exception of my sways. My alignment is also completely bone stock.

Big Willow is a really fun track, and one where neither the 996TT nor the GT-R should have any inherent advantage. It'll be fun hanging out and see who can grab the fastest lap time. The food is pretty good, too.

If the big Willow dates don't work for you, I'll be at the Redline Time Attack May 29 and 30th at Cal Speedway ROVAL in Fontana. May 29th is an open track day. We could go for lap times this day, if that works better for you. May 30th is the time attack. You could join us...you'll be in Mod AWD, just like me. Just need to have a fire extinguisher mounted in your car within reach (safety rule). You'll also need a time attack license. PM me on NAGTROC if you need more info on this.

Looking forward to a friendly dash to the fastest lap time, and it very well may be yours.

Brent

Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Your post made my jaw hurt!!!
Originally Posted by Basic

This should be the steering wheel in a GTR, thing is boring and I'm sure somewhere in all that weight is a Japanese teenager with this controller actually driving the car...

Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
I thought I would add this little ad for your viewing pleasure...lets pour more gas on the fire...go big or go home

This says it all.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
DocNrock is just really niceDocNrock is just really niceDocNrock is just really niceDocNrock is just really nice
Originally Posted by ari
June 12th? Or may 12th?

I'm doing an event with Kailo "open track racing" on may 12th...
I'm not familiar with Kailo, but I run with Speed Ventures. www.speedventures.com June 12th and 13th at big Willow was my suggestion. Or, May 29th and/or 30th at Cal Speedway with Redline Time Attack.

That sounds like w2w, and I will freely admit I have never done w2w. Besides, my car has no cage, etc. Hell, I run with the OEM 3 pts. Is this w2w?

Only 5 more posts and I can see sigs!

Last edited by DocNrock; 04-27-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Sean if that car runs that high of a trap perhaps you should have Powell come out to for some friendly runs.

Also guys let's not get carried away with the insults regardless of their smack talking f'k it let it be, cause among the boy racers of there you have cool people like docnroc.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Aside from what's going on Im.. why are we comparing a car that came out 7 years before to a GTR... take a 997 and run it... it is considerably faster out of the box... the head and intake alone are as good as a ported and polished 996TT head... that I know for sure...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Hey Guys-

Hey Enrique, thanks for answering my PM on NAGTROC. We can do this. Where are you located?

Will you be able to make Willow Springs June 12th and/or 13th? It should be fun. I'll be the first to admit I've only done 12 track days in my life, all with the GT-R, and all in the last year, so I understand how important the driver part of the equation is. It sounds like you might be quite the hot shoe. Nonetheless, I'll give it my best shot. Like I said in my PM, I have no attitude, and I'm just doing this for fun.

I represent only myself and my car; I do NOT represent NAGTROC nor have I been voted to represent the forum.

I just have an intake and turbo back exhaust, as well as sways and AP Racing rotors (this stock drilled rotors have a nasty habit of cracking) and Carbotech XP10 pads. My custom Cobb Access Port tune gets me 540 awhp compared to 425 awhp bone stock. My tires are the Dunlop SP600 DSST runflats and my suspension is completely OEM, with the exception of my sways. My alignment is also completely bone stock.

Big Willow is a really fun track, and one where neither the 996TT nor the GT-R should have any inherent advantage. It'll be fun hanging out and see who can grab the fastest lap time. The food is pretty good, too.

If the big Willow dates don't work for you, I'll be at the Redline Time Attack May 29 and 30th at Cal Speedway ROVAL in Fontana. May 29th is an open track day. We could go for lap times this day, if that works better for you. May 30th is the time attack. You could join us...you'll be in Mod AWD, just like me. Just need to have a fire extinguisher mounted in your car within reach (safety rule). You'll also need a time attack license. PM me on NAGTROC if you need more info on this.

Looking forward to a friendly dash to the fastest lap time, and it very well may be yours.

Brent

Brent,

I'm up to meet new non hostile people like I said before, and you seem like a nice guy. You have the upper hand of 100awhp and tq on me. My company is currently acquiring another, as soon as i know i have free time, i'm game. I will be modifying my suspension much more in order to make up for the lack of hp you have over me. I was thinking, would you be up for laguna seca ? its a world known track with tons of heritage, and we can compare our cars to what 'pros' can drive it. I would really prefer laguna if possible. I drove to fontana already for the forum wars, and it was a long drive for me. If we do laguna, i can convince Mr. Graham to come out with his GT2 996 as well, as I would like to go up against him. Honestly, he is my next target ( sorry Graham! Friendly fire ) and i'm over the GTR ordeal. I have set my sights on one hella of a driver and car with Graham. If you need a place to stay, I live aprox 30 mins from Laguna Seca, and you are more then welcome to stay at my place.

What are your mods if you don't mind sharing...

I will have the following mods if we do an event;

997ssk
X50 brake setup
964 lwfw
UMW flash
Adjustable front and rear control arms.
GT3 seats
Ruf springs - 225lbs front 325lbs rear
R comps

I would realisticly like to have by then;

x73 package motor mounts
rear toe lings
solid bushings
997tt transmission mount
Dez's old coilovers if Dez gets his new ones

( I cannot run straight pipes at laguna)

So as you can see, i'm tackling the cornering ability vs straight line power, which is huge at laguna seca.

As for track days. I do not know how many I have with my 996tt, but its not over 20....i do have my Professional racing license and I have been karting since i was a kid and have participated in several karting championships. As for representation, i only represent myself and whomever sponsors me too.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
I offered to go big...or go home. Who knows, maybe I'll go home.
Tongue in cheek DocNrock. Just havin a bit of fun. Please don't take offense!

I was on a rip roaring drive last weekend with a bunch of exotics, a nice red GTR was part of the group...good times

Cheers,

Ben

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Laguna Seca is a wonderful course. I haven't been there in years, but that is still one of my favorites in NorCal. Just mind the 92db max on the exhaust. Of course, they only check that at one part of the course.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Brent,

Welcome to 6speed. You have a fantastic car. I hope you and Enrique can get out on the track and have some fun. There are a few here who are GTR bashers but plenty more that have a tremendous amount of respect for what a capable car the GTR is.

Sean,

You are getting sandbagged plain and simple. We've already seen what comparably modded cars do between these platforms can do and it should have been left alone. Lets see what two built motor cars can do ...... I'm sure we have more than a few cars around that would step up to the plate.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
It is not Hing, it is rsfootball. However if it is Hing I will run him. Remember, I have already beaten a car that traps 143, and I will be running 60 rwhp more boost for this event so I am confident that I can beat a GTR that traps 148.

You are aware that a stock block rw drive Porsche has also trapped close to 150, and without all the driver nannies that GTR drivers rely upon.

I am being very realistic.

Sean,

I totally disagree. I think you are being far from realistic. The cars that have trapped near 150 have all been closer to 900rwhp and driven by some of the best drivers on this forum. I'm not questioning your driving ability more than I am your 60rwhp figure ......... which in my opinion leaves you approximately 100whp short.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Ben,

I respectfully disagree. The car ran 9's and trapped 148, but the GTr's are set up much better for drag racing. My car is set up better for a 40-160 roll on which is the challenge I issued. Anyway, you do know that Erics car trapped 143 at 1.55 bars. We are doing some things to my car to enable me to turn up my boost to 1.65.

The bottom line is that I think I can win this race, so come on my man don't be a nattering nabob of negativity and talk to your buddies at the Tx Mile so we can get this set up.

BTW, I do know that Hing has plans to build his motor. If that happens, of course the race will be off. It is stock block vs stock block.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Sean,

I totally disagree. I think you are being far from realistic. The cars that have trapped near 150 have all been closer to 900rwhp and driven by some of the best drivers on this forum. I'm not questioning your driving ability more than I am your 60rwhp figure ......... which in my opinion leaves you approximately 100whp short.
Yes my friend...this car is making over 800 and I will only be making about 780...but the GTR is heavy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forum Wars Continued: GTR vs 996