996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Forum Wars Continued: GTR vs 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ Agreed.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I must say, the NAGTROC guys stick together a lot more than the naysayers here on 6 speed.
Sean we would be behind you 100% if you weren't getting played!! Just like your buddy Jasper (Jasper, I was laughing my *** off at that post) up above his tongue in cheek humor, which you clearly missed, is the same humor that is going to get you in trouble with Mr. Hing.

As for what Sloss has done I'm not sure you even want to bark up that tree lol. Its actually disturbing the number of ego's hes crushed with "inferior" equipment.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I must say, the NAGTROC guys stick together a lot more than the naysayers here on 6 speed.
lol! I was a Porsche owner, and a member here before I knew NAGTROC even existed.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Give it up already!!!!!!

So you are saying that no one in a 996 TT should or would compare their car to a GT-R, likes that's ever going to actually NOT happen.

You win the award for pointless plea of the year.

Would you like to try a 996 TT with a flash, straight pipes, JIC's and sway bar?

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Please don't underestimate the amount of PM'd responses to the enthusiasm of people that would LOVE to do this challenge. I love them.

I enjoy all of them. However, I haven't lost any. Drag races(only 1 auto-x did a 911 show up), and a few HPDE's that we video'd and compared times. So far, it's been all me. And I don't know how to drive for anything. Perhaps it's because my steering wheel is really a PS2 controller (or PS3 if you get the upgrade), I'm not sure what keeps me ahead of the 996's. All I have is an AP and Y-pipe.

For those that want to bring a "10 yr old" car, and mod it to about double (or more) HP and claim that it's still a 996, I'd raise you a 1967 Camaro that runs 8's, and claim it's still a just a Chevy - and you'd lose to a car that is 30yrs older than your's.

Silly.

Let's compare apples to apples. GT-R vs 997tt. Let the drivers decide.

The driver on the day of this so-called "Forum Wars" in the 911 won. That is all that happened. No car got defeated.

And the people here with the silly pictures (especially the one with the saving up money for Nissan or Mitsubishi - who ever had a life-long dream of buying a Boxter?), are just that - silly.

This has a potential to become extremely popular, competitive, and (in some cases) informative (to what an average driver can do in either car - this is what most people want to know anyway). Only internet track stars are worried about what somebody ELSE can do in their own car.

That being said, I have my own issues about this 'competition'. But the models of cars aren't one of them.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Give it up already!!!!!!

So you are saying that no one in a 996 TT should or would compare their car to a GT-R, likes that's ever going to actually NOT happen.

Would you like to try a 996 TT with a flash, straight pipes, JIC's and sway bar?
Dez,

Surely you could tell his post was tongue in cheek ........ Maybe i'm the delusional one .... I actually think he is proposing what appears to be a fairer match. Porsche's more recent variant of their GT car vs. Nissan's likeness.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Give it up already!!!!!!

No, I'm actually not saying that. I love when the 'underdog' pulls out a victory based on certain situations, conditions, etc...

I'm saying that it has become quite commonly accepted (in most venues) that 996tt < GT-R < 997tt w/PDK.

I believe that in the GT-R vs 997, the GT-R is the underdog, and would also need an exceptional driver to match the 997. But if the 997 won, I wouldn't give any more credit to the car than is deserved. Is the car great? Yes, they all are at this level.

And yes, I'd enjoy the challenge. We could do 1/4, and then a a few laps around any track (hell, I'd even like to do a new one). You see - I don't really care about who wins (which is why you don't see a bunch of threads that I start about cars and drivers that I've outrun on a particular day). There is always someone faster. I'm not in denial. I enjoy the sport. If we were to 'challenge', I honestly wouldn't care if you'd beat me by 20secs/lap, because I'd be on track having fun too.

In stock form (yes, without an AP tune), I've gotten down to 2:10 at VIR (I have no doubt that there are people that could EASILY get a better time in a stock 996tt, hell perhaps a C2 or even a damn Boxter). The problem is, I haven't been on the same track at the same time.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Dez,

Surely you could tell his post was tongue in cheek ........ Maybe i'm the delusional one .... I actually think he is proposing what appears to be a fairer match. Porsche's more recent variant of their GT car vs. Nissan's likeness.

The problem with that as we've somewhat established in other threads is that the 997 TT is hardly a step up in the handling department from the 996 TT. If you look around at comparable laps times at various tracks you'll find the 996 TT nipping at the heels of the 997 with almost always lesser tires, 70 less hp, flimsier chassis, and according to Porsche more weight, with it's new awd system and traction control blah blah blah and so on.

Take the nurburgring for example where Sport Auto tested the 996 on the old pavement on PS2's as was two seconds slower than testing the 997.1 Turbo on MPSC. Similar results all over. The 997.1 TT is a step up in the presentation department (I.E. looks), but that's about it.

A 996 TT with a flash gives it about the same hp as both the 997.1 TT and GT-R stock, I think it would also need a sway bar due to chassis softness, but that's it. Other than lacking some stiffness, power and contact patch, the 996 TT is not a boy amongst men by any means.

Let's not act like we are talking about a Audi TT here. The 996 TT SUCKS (comparatively) at drag racing, I think that's been established, but it can surely hold it's own everywhere else.

Last edited by heavychevy; 04-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
BlakeR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Of the several Sheep in that forum. Only one person had the courage to PM me to accept my challange. That blake guy, i believe said, he would all over my challenge in 3.5 seconds if he was closer. I think it has taken him a bit to long to respond to you by now to accept your crappy 996 challenge.
Sorry, I don't spend my life stirring up conflict between forums. I made a reply on my own time. I don't work for you or OP. And what's so hard to understand about me living 3000 miles away from you? You think I really want to put forth the time, effort, and resources to travel that far to settle some absolutely stupid forum vs forum grudge match? No thanks.

Last edited by BlakeR; 04-28-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by houstonT
Sean, keep in mind that Eric trapped 143 mph in EPIC conditions with a 30 mph TAILWIND. A 148-150 mph will be VERY hard for you to beat...trust me. Having said that, we all know that there is a 99.99% chance the race won't even happen. Keep us updated Sean...

Peter
p.s. you going to C&C on Sat?
Amen brother.

It is not Hing, it is rsfootball. However if it is Hing I will run him. Remember, I have already beaten a car that traps 143, and I will be running 60 rwhp more boost for this event so I am confident that I can beat a GTR that traps 148.

You are aware that a stock block rw drive Porsche has also trapped close to 150, and without all the driver nannies that GTR drivers rely upon.

I am being very realistic.
Ben,

I respectfully disagree. The car ran 9's and trapped 148, but the GTr's are set up much better for drag racing. My car is set up better for a 40-160 roll on which is the challenge I issued. Anyway, you do know that Erics car trapped 143 at 1.55 bars. We are doing some things to my car to enable me to turn up my boost to 1.65.

The bottom line is that I think I can win this race, so come on my man don't be a nattering nabob of negativity and talk to your buddies at the Tx Mile so we can get this set up.

BTW, I do know that Hing has plans to build his motor. If that happens, of course the race will be off. It is stock block vs stock block.
Sean - My car trapped 143mph in awesome conditions as Peter said above. That run was at 1.55 bar. When you beat my car on the Mexican toll it was at a lower boost - not sure what that equates to in HP.

What have you done...nothing thats what. I have done the Supra nats and stepped up pretty much everytime I was challenged. I have more kills than you have sand in you vagina, which is a lot.

Please stay off my thread.
Again - a knife to a gun fight.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Blake,

Based on the support I have gotten on this thread, I think I am going to start spending more time over at NAGTROC.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Blake,

Based on the support I have gotten on this thread, I think I am going to start spending more time over at NAGTROC.
Well best of luck to you, sir. I put my offer out there, but the window is pretty small. I would love to meet you at Goliad sometime, but unfortunately, for the next few months at least, Florida's Fastest Mile is my closest venue. (Texas Mile has the stupid cage rule now, which makes it even more impossible for me to run there. I'm not putting a cage in my street car. I'd rather have a GT3RS than a caged GT-R.)

Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by BlakeR
Well best of luck to you, sir. I put my offer out there, but the window is pretty small. I would love to meet you at Goliad sometime, but unfortunately, for the next few months at least, Florida's Fastest Mile is my closest venue. (Texas Mile has the stupid cage rule now, which makes it even more impossible for me to run there. I'm not putting a cage in my street car. I'd rather have a GT3RS than a caged GT-R.)
Blake can you post a pic of your GTR. I couldn't find any full pics of it with the new wheels ........ needless to say its sick.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by bmoores
Blake can you post a pic of your GTR. I couldn't find any full pics of it with the new wheels ........ needless to say its sick.
Sure...here's a link on this very forum: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-r-build.html

Last edited by BlakeR; 04-28-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Blake,

I don't know, but it looks to me like people are trying to protect you from embarrasment. I think that is pretty good support. No one wants you to go to a race that you can't win. I'd take that as a good thing.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Blake,

The irony is that they are saying the same thing that most of us here are Sean. They are realists.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forum Wars Continued: GTR vs 996