996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone using these WEVO MOUNTS... Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone using these WEVO MOUNTS... Warning

I have been having a few issues with my motor which me and Todd Knighton are currently working on at the moment... we think (must add not 100% sure) that the above Wevo mounts have something to do with my problem as Todd confirmed he has had a few motors having similar issues to me and that Wevo mounts were the culprit... KNOCK SENSOR.

Basically the Wevo mounts (Blues) are just far to firm and giving of a similar frequency to that of the Knock Sensor and depending how bad, it is upsetting timing. There has been talk of this before on the forums regarding Knock Sensors being so sensitive etc, not sure if it was Scott (Divexxtreme) or Chad (Cjv) but positive it was one of them.

I decided to contact Hayden at Wevo to discuss the matter (just to give him a heads up) and possibly look to purchase the softer Black rubber bushing. I received a very negative email back "we never sold you them, we don't sell a 996 with Blue pillow, we wouldn't advise you to run something else, you must have purchased them from Protomotive so you better take it up with them, etc, etc"... now I know they don't mark it as a 996 Mount, it's C2 Mount which is good for a 964 or 993, but everyone who has been running these knows that it fits the 996 and Hayden even sold me the Bolts for running them in my 996 early last year (before they even released a 996/7 version), I had to refresh his memory by pulling out old emails and forwarding them on to him. TBH, I wasn't after anything from Wevo, as mentioned possibly some softer Rubber Mounts which I was prepared to pay for, I was just trying to give them a heads up and if they had heard of any other issues but it really got my back up that Hayden was so adamant that he never sold them and tried to wash his hands of it etc.

Anyway if you are running these mounts pictured on your 996...

1: Hayden advises, these are the wrong mounts for the car and have not been tested.
2: Although not 100% confirmed (certainly with me) these could possibly play havoc with your Knock Sensor (Todd confirmed he has had issues)

BE WARNED... POSSIBLE MOTOR DAMAGE.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Thanks for the heads up was going to pick a set of those up as my drivetrain feels like its flipping over every shift...

Think I'll start with the 997TT transmission mount, does porsche make a mount for say a GT3 or GT2 thats and upgrade for the 996TT engine mounts?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Todd has advised me to return to a X73 Mount which is the same (I'm sure) as GT2/GT3

Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
I did run the X73 Mount and it was pretty good, but as usual we always strive for more

Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Zeroh has a spectacular aura aboutZeroh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
I did run the X73 Mount and it was pretty good, but as usual we always strive for more
Exactly what I'm running Steve, with the 7tt tranny mount. Very nice combo for a road car... but would think you may want something stiffer still given your use... but I guess you thought the same hence the wevo purchase !!!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Zeroh
Exactly what I'm running Steve, with the 7tt tranny mount. Very nice combo for a road car... but would think you may want something stiffer still given your use... but I guess you thought the same hence the wevo purchase !!!
Exactly Miras... back to the X73 it is, might give the RS Mount a try first though

Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
I have the x73's...still have a little movement but not enough to be problematic with downshifts or upshifts when the chassis is tweaked.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO

I have been having a few issues with my motor which me and Todd Knighton are currently working on at the moment... we think (must add not 100% sure) that the above Wevo mounts have something to do with my problem as Todd confirmed he has had a few motors having similar issues to me and that Wevo mounts were the culprit... KNOCK SENSOR.

Basically the Wevo mounts (Blues) are just far to firm and giving of a similar frequency to that of the Knock Sensor and depending how bad, it is upsetting timing. There has been talk of this before on the forums regarding Knock Sensors being so sensitive etc, not sure if it was Scott (Divexxtreme) or Chad (Cjv) but positive it was one of them.

I decided to contact Hayden at Wevo to discuss the matter (just to give him a heads up) and possibly look to purchase the softer Black rubber bushing. I received a very negative email back "we never sold you them, we don't sell a 996 with Blue pillow, we wouldn't advise you to run something else, you must have purchased them from Protomotive so you better take it up with them, etc, etc"... now I know they don't mark it as a 996 Mount, it's C2 Mount which is good for a 964 or 993, but everyone who has been running these knows that it fits the 996 and Hayden even sold me the Bolts for running them in my 996 early last year (before they even released a 996/7 version), I had to refresh his memory by pulling out old emails and forwarding them on to him. TBH, I wasn't after anything from Wevo, as mentioned possibly some softer Rubber Mounts which I was prepared to pay for, I was just trying to give them a heads up and if they had heard of any other issues but it really got my back up that Hayden was so adamant that he never sold them and tried to wash his hands of it etc.

Anyway if you are running these mounts pictured on your 996...

1: Hayden advises, these are the wrong mounts for the car and have not been tested.
2: Although not 100% confirmed (certainly with me) these could possibly play havoc with your Knock Sensor (Todd confirmed he has had issues)

BE WARNED... POSSIBLE MOTOR DAMAGE.
It is not that the stock sensors are so sensitive, it is they are designed to listen for a certain frequency where knock occurs on the stock motors. Making certain modifications to your motor changes the frequency of the knock which makes the sensors ineffective because the sensors do not recognize the new knock frequency as being destructive.

The mounts can definitely transfer frequencies generated by the car that other mounts would not transfer. I am not sure I understand your problem. What is or is not happening with your motor while using these mounts?

Last edited by cjv; 04-27-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
We have tuned many cars with wevo mounts... Including ones that's see the majority of there use on track running pump fuel.

I haven't experienced a single issue.

Wevo makes a great product, and comes highly recommend from EPL!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
We have tuned many cars with wevo mounts... Including ones that's see the majority of there use on track running pump fuel.

I haven't experienced a single issue.

Wevo makes a great product, and comes highly recommend from EPL!
Tony,

WEVO makes some great parts but don't make them out to be angels. Case in point is when we were working with them on prototyping the Tilton 3 disc clutch for the turbo.

My first thought is the mounts do not generate noise ...... they transfer noise. Then, I have used purin tranny mounts that transferred clutch noises that never existed with other tranny mounts.

My point is something isn't right and without further investigation neither you nor I could make a determination with what we currently know about this individual case.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
This sucks, I was just thinking about getting some of these. Oh well..........

Thanks for the info, I'll pass if there are issues involved, they are not that big of a deal IMO. X73 it is........ Anyone have a part number for them?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
They (Wevo) never marketed those black mounts for our cars so they are just covering there butts. They told me the same when I tried to order them, said they don't make any mounts for the Turbos.
I plan on getting these to see how they are.

Here are the new ones that they are selling for us.
Semi-Solid Engine Mounts

Last edited by Page; 04-27-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
what are the x73 mounts? anyone have part numbers for them?

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.carnewal.com/

Try Gert. If the ash cloud from Iceland ever clears, he can start shipping parts again.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Page you are correct... but I can assure you when I asked about them back Feb 2009 Wevo knew fine well people were using them for the 996 application, agree they would try and cover their ***, but he sold me knowing fine well I was using them on the 996, why did he offer me the bolts?!!!

On 23 Feb 2009, at 16:28, WEVO office wrote:
Hi Steven,

We do have C2SS Mounts in stock, they do not come with a bolt to suit the 996TT. This particular unit is designed for 89 - 98 C2 (and C4 & 993TT).
We do have some longer bolts available, they add $13.50 each to the price and would replace the normal bolt shipped with the kit, these bolts are long enough for the 996TT application.

I would expect the Global Express Guarantee shipping to cost $80.50 this is the fastest service available.
For the next level down, probable (not guaranteed) delivery Feb 27th, the price would be $43.60.

Regards

Hayden Burvill

Remember these ones you have pictured, were not released at the time... What really gets me here, is I was happy with the Wevo Mounts (I still am) but they are POSSIBLY causing me a problem, I tried to speak to Hayden at Wevo about the issue and come up with a solution (softer rubber etc) but it was a very strange, negative and defensive response I got from him just like he didn't want to hear about it!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone using these WEVO MOUNTS... Warning