996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Had the shop put in my AP plenum and Throttle body, well kind of..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 AM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
Had the shop put in my AP plenum and Throttle body, well kind of..

It just wont fit all the way in. I have the AP dual snorkle air box intake mod and it wont fit with that drivers side snorkle in place. Also th stock Y-pipe mounting point is off, about 1/2 ". AP said to cut down the y pipe TB silicone coupler, but the shop said they cut it down as much as possible, any more and there would not be enough hose to clamp down on. Any suggestions, anyone have a pic of this installed, I need to see how much silicone coupler is remaining. Will the AP y pipe solve this, I was told it would fit.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
If AP represented it would fit I suggest you have AP speak directly to your installer and have them work it out. It would not be according to what was represented if you now had to buy additional parts or pay for additional labor. This is assuming your parts were not modified from stock prior.

Last edited by cjv; 05-12-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
They did talk and AP said it will fit, my guy says it wont, if he cuts any more hose there will be nothing left to clamp to.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Could you post any pictures? That would help and hopefully lead to some ideas that will solve your problem.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 AM
mhall1019 has a spectacular aura aboutmhall1019 has a spectacular aura about
Issues with installation of AP product

I personally think that you cannot win this one. My experience with Vivid is not good in terms of product support. In a different thread about the 997tt larger throttle body/intake plenum (sic), other vendors including AWE and RSS/IPD were chiming in. The thread was closed by the moderators because Vivid was headed for a crash, although members of the forum were supportive of its continuation. Vivid owns the forum, and it was closed.
But, getting to my point, in that thread, in reference to the IPD intake plenum (sic), on September 29, 2009, Vivid stated "I regret the wording, product, and testing. You see how that thread went. RSS gave the product to me. Greg who worked there at the time insisted there was something wrong, but no matter how many times I dynoed the car and tried it out, nothing. This is and still is not the only questionable incident with this type of product. So at the time because the product was free, he instructed me post up a "kosher" response. And I did. RSS/IPD and Vivid no longer have a relationship. Learning experience..."

However, Vivid was still advertising and selling the product. I purchased one (for 996tt) and was not provided installation instructions. I found it impossible to install with the factory intake configuration. Vivid refused to accept a return on the product.

As you can see from the following email from Vivid to me on 11/5/09 they were still claiming it worked as the reason they couldn't take a return (and also, because it had been "used" - like, how could I have tried to install it without its being "used"). Neither Dan nor Rob did anything - they would not refund one penny of the full list price I paid for the unit.

To: kraftwerk911@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: IPD Plenum
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:23:07 -0700

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.ecxhmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}
Mike,
Let me know what the outcome is but their product fits and performs. I can't give you credit back for this unit as it is now. Please understand I will do what I can in my power but we can't take used products back unless its a defect by mfg or we send the wrong part. This doesn't look like either currently.

ROB ROHN
VIVID RACING
p: 480-966-3040 ext 227
f: 480-966-0806

I ended up selling it for half of what I paid for it on eBay. I called RSS to find out why there might have been a problem. First, they stated that Vivid was not an authorized distributor of their product. They also said that there are no written instructions because it is not intended to be installed by the home mechanic due to the complexity of the job. I would have been able to install it if I had known that a support bar that got in the way could have been rotated out of the way, allowing the "plenum" to be rotated into place. I will never know whether the "plenum" actually improved performance or not because I did not install it. I do know that the RSS representatives were helpful and knowledgeable.

Good luck!

Mike

Originally Posted by drhenrock
They did talk and AP said it will fit, my guy says it wont, if he cuts any more hose there will be nothing left to clamp to.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 AM
eds966tt is infamous around these parts
This is a a shame. Dan at Vivid cant be trusted or the parts he represents IMO. If what is enclosed is true...
Basically buy and try at your own risk....lol
I think the board should allow correspondence regarding any issue to be seen by all on this board. After all we are buying this stuff and when there is a issue we all want to know how vendors on this board represent their product and how they respond to customers.

I hope you get your issue sorted out. I have been doing mods for years
and when someone does not give support after money is spent - well its fustrating... good luck

Old 05-11-2010, 07:38 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Not the first time I've heard this story...sorry to hear...

Old 05-11-2010, 07:40 AM
BeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really nice
I have the AP TB/Plenum setup in my car

Yes you have to cut the coupler down that helps but I also tweaked the stock Y-Pipe bolt bracket out just a bit and it all fit back together without issue.

Have not tried the AP Y-pipe so I cannot comment on its install

It does/will fit/work

Last edited by BeltFed; 05-11-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
here's what i got so far. coupler on one side needs to be trimed on the plenum. bracket is in the other photo (stock plenum)

on the misalignment by 1/2 " do you mean the Y is too far in or out or angle's off? the reducer coupling is pretty short as is.

that bridged bracket, rotate it towards the front of the car and a hose or wire gets pinched/streched, rotating towards the back of the car worked for me.

Nite another thread on here discussing CEL issue that's from what dan's reported result from a leak between plenum and TB. This is to be confirmed. Need to add a gasket between if this is the case.

Attached Images     

Last edited by Mad Ness; 05-11-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:57 PM
eds966tt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BeltFed
I have the AP TB/Plenum setup in my car

Yes you have to cut the coupler down that helps but I also tweaked the stock Y-Pipe bolt bracket out just a bit and it all fit back together without issue.

Have not tried the AP Y-pipe so I cannot comment on its install

It does/will fit/work

"AP TB/Plenum setup in my car' Beltfed did you do the install yourself? Also why did you go down this path. Any cell codes and how long have you had the setup. I'm thinking to do the same but no sure if is a worthwhile mod. thx

Old 05-11-2010, 01:35 PM
BeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really nice
yes did the install myself

bought it because I was doing turbos and wanted to help the car gobble down air

as I said it had a leak when I first put it together but I fixed it first try and the car has been perfect ever since setup has a couple 1000 miles on it

can't say what kind of power it added did it all at once but the stock TT TB inlet fits inside the Cayenne one so I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Install is straight forward, others seem to have problems but I didn't have any that would make me tell you not to buy it

Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Did you leave the AP O-ring gasket in place when you made your own sealing gasket?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 AM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I have the same exact story. My Porsche mechanic lowered the motor & spent several hours attempting to install the AP Plenum/TB. After hours of ^&%&^ with it, I had him button the car back. The parts simply do not line up. He contact Dan and Matt at VR several times & Dan just argued with him questioning his abilities...wrong move. I simply asked Dan that I would like to return the product for a refund & he said no go. Caveat emptor. I now have a $700 paperweight. Somebody needs to report these guys.
As my mechanic said, it takes the same amount of time to design a poor product as it does a good one.

Beware of Dan and Vivid Racing ethics/tactics.

Attached Images     

Last edited by viprklr; 05-12-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added text
Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tvurt
Did you leave the AP O-ring gasket in place when you made your own sealing gasket?

Thanks,

Tom
+1 wondering the same, thanks.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:40 PM
no took the oring out

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Had the shop put in my AP plenum and Throttle body, well kind of..