996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

clunky shifter on the 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 PM
TRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud of
clunky shifter on the 996TT

If there is one thing I would change about my car is the clunky *** stock shifter. It feels nowhere near as "positive" as the one on my previous M3 did

What did you guys do to improve your feel? recommendation on a ****/short shift combo?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
My car has the 997 shifter, which I feel is a lot better than the stock 996 Turbo shifter.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yup. Call Suncoast. 997 shifter from Porsche. Under $200 and bolt right in. Night and day.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:23 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Could not agree more - one of the cheapest and best things I have done.

There are instructions on this thread.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...der-200-a.html
Originally Posted by ttboost
Yup. Call Suncoast. 997 shifter from Porsche. Under $200 and bolt right in. Night and day.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
The 997 OEM short shifter is another option many people rave about. I went with the standard 997 OEM shifter to see what that was like as I was able to pick one up very cheap. It is much, much better than the ridiculously long throws on the 996.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
cyphur01 is infamous around these parts
+1 997 SSK. As you can read in our thread, Just bought 01 996 TT, we put a lot into the car. The best mod we have done....997SSK

Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
How easy is the install of the 997SSK?

Also does it shorten height along with throws?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
TRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud of
now that's the news I wanted to hear. I was eyeballing a thread where somebody was selling a 997 shifter about a week ago but was not sure if it would fit our 996's

997 it is!!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
It really is pretty easy. There are several DIY threads out there with pictures. Toughest part (for me anyway) was getting the nerve to pop trim pieces off. No big deal but sometimes it feels like you might break something but than pop, off they come. Like most DIY jobs it always seems like there is one small detail that hangs me up but if that happens to you post what is going on and there are many here that can help you.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM
ya, dont whack yourself in the face when your pulling up on the shift **** haha. almost happened to me when I swapped it out on the E46

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 PM
cyphur01 is infamous around these parts
Nikolas, height seems to be exact same as stock. Throw significantly reduced. Feel... butter. Look up MKelly's thread on install.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Thanks I will. It sounds like everything goes in from above and not underneath the car. i've installed SSK's in other cars, just never on a porsche. My abilities mechanically on this car are pretty much limited to oil changes at this point.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:22 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Rennlist has picks of an install.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...i-like-it.html

Originally Posted by Nikolas
Thanks I will. It sounds like everything goes in from above and not underneath the car. i've installed SSK's in other cars, just never on a porsche. My abilities mechanically on this car are pretty much limited to oil changes at this point.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Evoms has a great shifter kit as well. My stock one broke on the track at Mid-Ohio. There is a very cheap plastic piece that holds the shifter to the cable and this is a problem as well.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Hey Matt, welcome. I see that you finally bought a 996tt now. Congrats! hope you are enjoying it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clunky shifter on the 996TT