996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

110 leaded race gas question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
110 leaded race gas question

I mistakenly put 6 gallons of leaded 110 race gas in my car diluted with 93 to fill the tank. I continued to dilute the mix with 93 for the rest of the day. The car ran fine but I noticed the tailpipe was a tannish color rather than the normal black. Did I harm my cats? Or will the next track session burn off any residue left in there?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You should be fine Larry. The cats hate leaded, but the o2's hate it more. You can actually run quite a little through it before it really starts to do harm. You've diluted it enough that you will not have a problem.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Larry,

You can typically run 2-3 continuous tanks of leaded fuel before the O2's start to go. You'll be fine.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
Race gas always leaves a different color in the pipes and on the spark plugs.
Nothing to worry about.

There are many misconceptions about race gas the biggest one is that it will give you more power. Race gas will allow you to run more boost and timing advance thus generating more power. But at normal boost levels where you are not at the threshold of detonation adding higher octane does nothing to improve performance.

Also remapping for race gas is important as the specific gravity is different from pump gas.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Larry,

Did you get it locally and if so from where?

Thanks.
-V

Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Thanks guys. I guess all will be OK.

vntperformance, I bought the 110 at Summit Point Race Track.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
hey i did that in my 86t when i1st got it how did i notice? it was smoking after i turned it off, cooked the cat, it was melting as i watched. it's been years but the only damage i did was to the cat. so you may have melted small parts of your cats that may restuct you exhaust flow. grey inside your tips just shows you have burned leaded gas.... grey was the sign your car was running good when i was a kid . things are most likly fine inside those cats

Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racin Jason

There are many misconceptions about race gas the biggest one is that it will give you more power. Race gas will allow you to run more boost and timing advance thus generating more power. But at normal boost levels where you are not at the threshold of detonation adding higher octane does nothing to improve performance.
Not true.

Most stock tunes have a a range of octanes that they can tolerate. Typically they are tuned at the factory to the "best" octane that will be available- say a 98 Ron or 95 r+m/2....

So if you are running california 91, you are running with your timing pulled and putting out less power. Hence adding race fuel will in fact increase power. Even if you are running 93 in PA, race fuel will eek a bit more.

I have a UMW tune. Same deal- it will increase power up to 97-98 octane. I have a 100 octane file, that will do even better.

But I guess I agree that once you get past the tunes octane design limit there is no benefit.

A

My point is that almost universally adding race fuel will increase power somewhat.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I have a UMW tune for 93 octane, but I am more interested in whether I did any harm to the system than the benefits of race gas. Normally I add 100 but this time I added 110 by mistake.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Ur ok...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL