996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 camber?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
FYI, had some slight rubbing issues at the front with 245 hoosiers. This setup will NOT work with stock suspension. I hear from Mike Kelly that the adjustable caster links will take care of the problem by moving the wheel rearward, but haven't tried it yet.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earlierapex
FYI, had some slight rubbing issues at the front with 245 hoosiers. This setup will NOT work with stock suspension. I hear from Mike Kelly that the adjustable caster links will take care of the problem by moving the wheel rearward, but haven't tried it yet.
Are you rubbing at the front of the tire where it meets the front inner fender? If so, then installing adjustable caster links WILL solve this issue. I had the exact same problem, although it was of zero consequence and caused no issues.

Cheers..

Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
needforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Shilling, with a setup like yours do you know how wide you could go on street tires and 18's? I know many street tires are different, but a round about guess would be great. I think some people can run 265' and 315's or is that a no go?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by needforspeed502
Hey Shilling, with a setup like yours do you know how wide you could go on street tires and 18's? I know many street tires are different, but a round about guess would be great. I think some people can run 265' and 315's or is that a no go?
For a street setup, I could go 275/18-30 and 335/18-30. The GT2 has plenty of clearance and with my JRZ's and their relatively small diameter springs, it's more than do-able. I would go with a CCW wheel in 9" front and the stock 12" in rear... The offset would have to be perfect, but I know that CCW has their wheels down perfectly... A ton of GT3 guys are running 315's and 265's at the track.

I am not sure about ANY of this on a TT though.. just the GT2.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Are you rubbing at the front of the tire where it meets the front inner fender? If so, then installing adjustable caster links WILL solve this issue. I had the exact same problem, although it was of zero consequence and caused no issues.

Cheers..
it was rubbing on the front of the fenderwell on the black plastic liner as well as on the front metal edge of the fender itself (cut the tire some). I rolled the fenders a little more, but it still was rubbing. I raised the ride height, still rubbed. I think it's a castor issue.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 PM
needforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Shilling.

I wonder how different the TT is on a fitment like that, because that would be a nice setup. Just curious, but with the weight distribution like it is, is there a point where the wider tire in front isn't really gaining you anything? Or in this application, bigger is better applies?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by needforspeed502
Thanks Shilling.

I wonder how different the TT is on a fitment like that, because that would be a nice setup. Just curious, but with the weight distribution like it is, is there a point where the wider tire in front isn't really gaining you anything? Or in this application, bigger is better applies?
Bigger is NOT necessarily better, if it compromises the geometry of the Car. If you have to raise the ride height too much, or run too much or too little camber, then the Car could end up handling WORSE than with a correctly sized tire.

I will be trying a Hoosier R6 in 255/18-35 size which just so happens to have the exact same tread width as their 275, but with a shorter sidewall. If I can't make that work, then I will stick to my 245's in front.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
it was rubbing on the front of the fenderwell on the black plastic liner as well as on the front metal edge of the fender itself (cut the tire some). I rolled the fenders a little more, but it still was rubbing. I raised the ride height, still rubbed. I think it's a castor issue.
What ride height are you at, what's your camber and what's your caster at the moment?

Given that you have the identical wheel tire combo I have, I am surprised that you are having an issue. Unless you are 300 lbs plus.. Then you might..

Seriously though, the last time I was at Laguna, I had a TINY, TINY amount of touching at the front fender liner, but I only found out about it because I parked in the pits with my wheels cranked all the way to the right.. at that point, I saw it touching the fender liner, but I most definitely don't have an issue with the fenders...

Let us know if changing your caster helps... I just had my caster dialed back to 7.8 degrees, since it had gone to 8.3 due to the camber increases.

I also have different suspension components than you and have had my struts rotated etc, so that might be one area that could be enough to cause the difference between our Cars.

Cheers.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
i had the ride height really low, -2.6 degrees camber in front, obviously wrong castor angle and pretty major rubbing. Part of the problem is soft stock springs.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:10 PM
i had the ride height really low, -2.6 degrees camber in front, obviously wrong castor angle and pretty major rubbing. Part of the problem is soft stock springs.
Forgot about that... stock springs...It does, however sound like you have a good handle on what to do to rectify the problem and I'm sure that a little bit of tweaking will do the trick...

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers...

Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I was asking Mike Kelley about the castor links, but I wanted to ask the GT2 guys if I need them before ordering? Anyone know if the castor can be properly set on a GT2 with rotated spring mounts without the aftermarket castor links?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I was asking Mike Kelley about the castor links, but I wanted to ask the GT2 guys if I need them before ordering? Anyone know if the castor can be properly set on a GT2 with rotated spring mounts without the aftermarket castor links?
You will need the adjustable caster links.. I had mine installed a couple of weeks ago to offset the increase caused by my additional camber.. My caster had gone to 8.3 degrees and needed to be adjustaed back to 7.5.. Decreasing caster will make the Car steer faster and take the wheels back fronm the inner fender wells at the front..

Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks 80S, know of a good source?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks 80S, know of a good source?
TRG (the Racer's Group) has a fantastic selection of parts for our cars.. They run ALMS etc.. they won Le Mans and Daytona as well, so they really know what works..

http://www.theracersgroup.com/trgparts/main.php

Cheers.