996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How does an EBC work ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
How does an EBC work ?

I mean, if i'm planning to use an EBC the reason is the possibility to go through different boost levels ... 1.0 bar with crappy gas, 1.3 with race gas and so on !!!
OK, this is clear to me !!!
My question is another and maybe stupid but ... how does the ECU work when i change the boost levels ?
The file that has been uploaded should be related to a fixed boost level that i want and i have decided with my tuner ... am i right ?
So, the tuner upload the right parameters for timing, fuel etc ... to reach, just for example, 1.3 bar with K24/18 !

Ok, now i decide to switch from the ECU control unit of the boost and go with an EBC and i set it at 1.0 bar ... how will it work the ECU ?
Will the ECU use its 1.3 bar boost program but with a set level of 1.0 bar boost (as setted with the EBC) and maybe let the car runs rich or automatically it has the ability/capacity/flexibility to adapt fuel/timing to the 1.0 bar boost ?

Obviously same question if i have a 1.0 bar program and i'm gonna set the boost with the EBC at 1.3 bar !!!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ThePunisher
I mean, if i'm planning to use an EBC the reason is the possibility to go through different boost levels ... 1.0 bar with crappy gas, 1.3 with race gas and so on !!!
OK, this is clear to me !!!
My question is another and maybe stupid but ... how does the ECU work when i change the boost levels ?
The file that has been uploaded should be related to a fixed boost level that i want and i have decided with my tuner ... am i right ?
So, the tuner upload the right parameters for timing, fuel etc ... to reach, just for example, 1.3 bar with K24/18 !

Ok, now i decide to switch from the ECU control unit of the boost and go with an EBC and i set it at 1.0 bar ... how will it work the ECU ?
Will the ECU use its 1.3 bar boost program but with a set level of 1.0 bar boost (as setted with the EBC) and maybe let the car runs rich or automatically it has the ability/capacity/flexibility to adapt fuel/timing to the 1.0 bar boost ?

Obviously same question if i have a 1.0 bar program and i'm gonna set the boost with the EBC at 1.3 bar !!!
There is two questions there. The first question is how does the EVC work and the second question is how does my car compensate for the different boost level, I assume this is what you are asking.

I will give you a very simple explanation of how an electronic boost controller works. The boost is set in your car with a wastegate and that wastegate has a spring in it. For explaining this let's just say that the wastegate has a 1 bar spring. That means at 1 bar of boost the wastegate will open bypassing the turbo so the exhaust gas stops turning the turbocharger and gets rerouted through to the exhaust from the manifold. Once this happens the turbo will not spin any faster and your boost will not increase. This is all mechanical. There is a vacuum line that will go from a pressure source (intercooler pipe, manifold, turbo housing) to the wastegate and, once that pressure source is at 1bar of air pressure that is enough pressure to open the spring.

Now when you add the boost controller nothing changes mechanically, you're wastegate will still open at 1 bar of air pressure. What the electronic boost controller does is it will bleed off air before it gets to the wastegate to trick the wastegates into staying closed longer. If you want to run 1.5 bar of boost you will have to bleed off .5 bar of air with the electronic boost controller and therefore it will take 1.5bar to now open the wastegate. That is a very basic explanation of how it does its job.

Now, how does the car know when the boost is changed and how much fuel to add. You can also add to that how will it know how much timing to add at different boost levels too. Most cars use a MAP sensor (manifold pressure sensor) and this sensor will always read how much air pressure is in the intake manifold. This sensor will send this reading to the cars computer. The cars computer will use this information (which is usually a reference that has been converted to volts) and other inputs from other parts of the engine and it will make a calculation based on all the parameters that it receives and send out signals to the injectors, ignition system and other components telling everything what to do for the given situation.

I hope that this helps.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 AM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Yes, very easy and clear answer ... thank you !
Ok, now i can formulate the third and last question !!!
You say that most cars use a MAP sensor (but, if i remember well the 996 TT has just the MAF and not the MAP but i could be wrong ... but this is not the point of my question) so that the computer can use all the informations coming from the sensors to adapt timing and fuel.
Assuming that everything above is true, suppose that i put on the stock K24 turbochargers a brand new set of upgraded 1 bar wastegate actuators and without a new map for my ECU i decide to calibrate them to open at 1.0 bar and not at 0.5 bar as setted when thay are stock ... now, should i think that my ECU has the ability to adapt fuel/timing to the new boost levels without the risk to run lean or a new program is absolutely needed to avoid major risks ?
It looks to me the same situation in which we can fall when we play with an EBC ... or not ?
Don't misinterpret me ... i'm for new tunes when you change something in the engine ... just curiosity !!!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ThePunisher
Yes, very easy and clear answer ... thank you !
Ok, now i can formulate the third and last question !!!
You say that most cars use a MAP sensor (but, if i remember well the 996 TT has just the MAF and not the MAP but i could be wrong ... but this is not the point of my question) so that the computer can use all the informations coming from the sensors to adapt timing and fuel.
Assuming that everything above is true, suppose that i put on the stock K24 turbochargers a brand new set of upgraded 1 bar wastegate actuators and without a new map for my ECU i decide to calibrate them to open at 1.0 bar and not at 0.5 bar as setted when thay are stock ... now, should i think that my ECU has the ability to adapt fuel/timing to the new boost levels without the risk to run lean or a new program is absolutely needed to avoid major risks ?
It looks to me the same situation in which we can fall when we play with an EBC ... or not ?
Don't misinterpret me ... i'm for new tunes when you change something in the engine ... just curiosity !!!
I would, absolutely, recommend that a tune be done prior to any of the things that have been discussed. The tune will allow you to safely run higher boost levels in your car and will also allow your car's ECU to see different inputs without putting the car into limp mode (a safety mode) that will drive you crazy. Many of today's tunes are much easier to install than in the past. Usually you can just buy a cable that is relatively cheap and you can email your stock file to the tuner and they can rewrite the file and email it back to you. Then you just download it into your cars computer through the OBD port. All you really need to do this is a laptop and an internet connection. Although there are a lot of tunes available from different tuners we recommend and use the Softronic tunes at our shop.