996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Check your lifters...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I ran my car with 7200 RPM redline for about 300 street miles. After GIAC fine tuned the car they put the redline back at 7,000 RPM. After having seen this I'm going to stay with stock or 7,000. Just isn't worth it IMO.

Thanks for the info Scott.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that Mike just opened the bottom end of my motor, and he said it looked flawless. The stock rods are perfect and the bearings are perfect even after running 720+ rwhp on the stock motor.

Since I already purchased rods and liners, and he's already in there...I'm having him swap them out anyway, but it's very good to know that other than my lifters, the rest of the motor is in perfect condition even after running all that power.

Figured you guys would want to know for some piece of mind regarding your own stock-motored cars.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-29-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, that's very good news!!!

Here's what I think:

- Your tune is just perfect (Proto magic...)
- The TT engine is very very strong and can take a lot of power.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Scott,

I just had a similar experience in regards to motor condition, but beware of the intermediate shaft. My intermediate shaft gear woodruf keys wore causing the IMS gear to begin to wobble (I have heard of this on some other cars). The result was a very loud timing chain noise, much louder than the normal ticking these engines make. To replace the gear requires a complete motor tear down. At 105,000 miles, 100,000 of those miles modded and with the car regularly exercised it's entire life, we found the motor was in great shape with the exception of the IMS gear problem. The cylinders still had the factory honing marks in the walls, all the bearings, lifters, rings, pistons were perfect. My tech said the engine internals are in perfect condition. Too bad the IMS is a weak point. We are simply replacing the intermediate shaft, all the bearings, the timing chains, chain tensioners and putting it back together. I realize that this is the perfect time to do a lot of other tweaks, but I have been happy with the power level I am at for 2 years now and I don't forsee chasing bigger power at this point... I just hope it goes another 100K now. I also welded the oil cooler fittings on, while things were apart, to prevent that other weak point failure.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 05-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, mike is working on your engine all weekend scott. Cant get him away from work... even on a holiday!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:45 AM
caly is infamous around these parts
very good read,thx for the useful info guys

Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
so what is being done to the new lifters ?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
so what is being done to the new lifters ?
Replacing all of them with new OEM ones. I wish there was a reasonable alternative, but their failure seems to be an occurence that's pretty rare, overall.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-29-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Scott,

I just had a similar experience in regards to motor condition, but beware of the intermediate shaft. My intermediate shaft gear woodruf keys wore causing the IMS gear to begin to wobble (I have heard of this on some other cars). The result was a very loud timing chain noise, much louder than the normal ticking these engines make. To replace the gear requires a complete motor tear down. At 105,000 miles, 100,000 of those miles modded and with the car regularly exercised it's entire life, we found the motor was in great shape with the exception of the IMS gear problem. The cylinders still had the factory honing marks in the walls, all the bearings, lifters, rings, pistons were perfect. My tech said the engine internals are in perfect condition. Too bad the IMS is a weak point. We are simply replacing the intermediate shaft, all the bearings, the timing chains, chain tensioners and putting it back together. I realize that this is the perfect time to do a lot of other tweaks, but I have been happy with the power level I am at for 2 years now and I don't forsee chasing bigger power at this point... I just hope it goes another 100K now. I also welded the oil cooler fittings on, while things were apart, to prevent that other weak point failure.
That's good to know, John. Thanks.

My motor only has 8k miles on it, so hopefully I won't need a new IMS for a very long time.

I plan on running 100-150 more rwhp than you currently do on the street, so I couldn't convince myself that new rods weren't worth the extra cost in my case.

At your power levels, I bet your stock rods and liners will last long beyond your new IMS will.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
Yeah, mike is working on your engine all weekend scott. Cant get him away from work... even on a holiday!
That's what I call 'dedication'.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
so are you using the OEM 996 lifters or a 997 P/N?

ill be in my cyl heads soon is why i ask

William

Old 05-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
so are you using the OEM 996 lifters or a 997 P/N?

ill be in my cyl heads soon is why i ask

William

OEM 996 lifters. The 997 lifters aren't any better.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 AM
My motor is back together. Should be back in the car and ready for break-in next week. The only problem that was found were the intake lifters; all of them were bad. Mike replaced them with superceded part numbers, so hopefully this will never happen again.

So, in summary; I replaced all of the intake lifters, installed new Pauter rods...and that's it. The most simple engine build ever.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-04-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:56 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Glad to hear it's all wrapped up. I'd love to see some video of that BEAUTIFUL white 996!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Here are some pics of the completed motor and new Pauter rods.

Attached Images     

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check your lifters...