996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Check your lifters...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Check your lifters...

Before you have a failure like I did. It seems to be a problem with the 996. Porsche replaced the lifters in the 997...for good reason.

Found out today that my liners are fine. Pistons are fine. Headgaskets are fine.

What happened? My stock lifter pins have been backing out over time and created a groove inside the bore. The lifter then got stuck, which caused my piston to hit my valve.

*Had nothing to do with tuning.
*Had nothing do with pump gas.
*Had nothing to do with power.

Todd Knighton told me he has seen this 3 times now. The other two cars were K16 cars.

When Mike used the boroscope, he saw a reflection that looked at the time like it was a bowed out/bulged liner. A mirage.

Regardless, Mike stopped what he was doing and thus saved my head and pistons.

We are now pressing forward with replacing my rods, liners, cam housing and intake valves.

Pics to follow...

Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Before you have a failure like I did. It seems to be a problem with the 996. Porsche replaced the lifters in the 997...for good reason.

Found out today that my liners are fine. Pistons are fine. Headgaskets are fine.

What happened? My stock lifter pins have been backing out over time and created a groove inside the bore. The lifter then got stuck, which caused my piston to hit my valve.

*Had nothing to do with tuning.
*Had nothing do with pump gas.
*Had nothing to do with power.

Todd Knighton told me he has seen this 3 times now. The other two cars were K16 cars.

When Mike used the boroscope, he saw a reflection that looked at the time like it was a bowed out/bulged liner. A mirage.

Regardless, Mike stopped what he was doing and thus saved my head and pistons.

We are now pressing forward with replacing my rods, liners, cam housing and intake valves.

Pics to follow...
I haven't seen this on the 996 cars yet, but have seen it on at least 1 986. Interesting stuff! Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but its good knowledge for the community! Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I haven't seen this on the 996 cars yet, but have seen it on at least 1 986. Interesting stuff! Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but its good knowledge for the community! Thanks for sharing.
Tony,

Thanks.

One thing to note is that a few of the other lifter pins in my car have started to back out as well. Thus, I think it's probably happening on quite a few cars out there.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Is this related to mileage? Boost? something else? I wonder what specifically is causing them to back out.... Thanks for posting.. I will get mine checked next time I have the Car at my Mechanic...

Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Is this related to mileage? Boost? something else? I wonder what specifically is causing them to back out.... Thanks for posting.. I will get mine checked next time I have the Car at my Mechanic...
Ditto. Any additional information is HIGHLY appreciated.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Todd at Protomotive told me it has nothing to do with boost, and/or power...and my car only has 8k miles on it.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Todd at Protomotive told me it has nothing to do with boost, and/or power...and my car only has 8k miles on it.
Sounds ominous... I have 21k miles on mine now.. For most Cars, that's not even broken in yet..

Any and all information on what caused yours to back out would be very useful.

Glad you caught it before it caused a major problem for you.

Keep us up to date on how your rebuild goes...

Cheers.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear that Scott. Seen this 3 times over the years. Once to a RuF car, once to a 700hp car and then once to a bone stocker as well.... Bad luck bro

Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Pics...

Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's an email from Todd K.:

Originally Posted by protomotive
After removing the valve cover and looking at the lifter bore, you'll be able to see evidence of this problem on a fully assembled engine. Besides the factory machined groove around 4 oclock, you may see two approximately 4mm grooves being worn/machined into the housings by the lifter pins backing out.

They'll be a 3 and 9 oclock in the bore and should not be there. So if there's any 3 or 9 oclock grooves, there's gonna be a problem!
The lifters have been superceded for the 996t, not only for the 997t, so this was obviously a problem on the first revision of these lifters.

Scott's car is a 2003 GT2, so it's not just relegated to the early 01's or 02's.

Hennessey's car we fixed was an 01 996t. The other car at Prototech I'm not sure of the year.

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 AM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Wow, I have 80k miles on my car. I guess I have been lucky so far.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
How are the original lifter pins held in?

Are they pressed or threaded?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
The lifter pins are pressed. If they did a bad job at the factory pressing them in, they can fail.

My last turbo never had this issue and it had a lot more miles on it.

Regardless, my motor will be stonger tha ever when it's complete.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
I guess if the lifter pins back out and score the lifter bores you need to replace the cylinder heads or can the bores be repaired?

Also can you inspect the lifters with the camshafts in?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
The cam box needs to be replaced along with the lifters... The entire head does not need replaced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check your lifters...